cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it worth buying the Forest River Extended Warranty

Keen_Family
Explorer
Explorer
We are close to finalizing a deal on a Forest River Grey Wolf TT. The dealer wants to sell us the extended warranty. The cost will range from $1500 to $2500. Is it worth it?
23 REPLIES 23

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I would skip the $1500-2500 warranty and just get the 2nd year for $100-150.
Most of the time those extended warranties have so many clauses that it becomes really hard to get warranty work paid for. With the 2nd year FR warranty you get the same 1yr coverage for only $100-150. I've actually read more times than not that it's $150 for the 2nd year. Either way it's a bargain.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Keen Family wrote:
We are close to finalizing a deal on a Forest River Grey Wolf TT. The dealer wants to sell us the extended warranty. The cost will range from $1500 to $2500. Is it worth it?

Seems to me you're not understanding just what this "extended warranty" is ... in your thread title you refer to it as "the Forest River Extended Warranty" but as anyone here knows FR doesn't offer an extended warranty costing $1500 to $2500 but for a nominal sum does sell an additional one year warranty extension to the first year factory warranty that you're already paying for within the price of the new trailer you're purchasing. Since you're in Canada you'd first want to establish whether this Forest River 2nd year extension is even available here in Canada and if so what the current cost may be. Secondly, find out just which "extended warranty" the dealer is trying to sell you, my best guess being that since you're here in Ontario it could well be a SAL Extended Warranty which is popular here with Canadian dealers as it's a real money maker for them. Ultimately it's up to you but I sure wouldn't purchase one.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If FR still offers the extra year for $100 then just do that. Otherwise you'll be spending about $2k for a full 3 year warranty which goes into effect from the date of purchase. So in reality comapred to the factory warranty for 2 years it isn't worth it!

And don't ask the salesman or the dealer, they'll tell you that it isn't possible and they never heard of it. Call FR directly about it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would do the 2nd year warranty from Forest River and put the money in the bank to cover any future repairs. I bought the second year warranty for $100 and never used it.

Use to have a bunch of relatives in Sioux. Welcome to the forum.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Rule of thumb is that extended warranties are never a good idea. Now if you're one of the minority who gets to use it, it was a GREAT idea, but the odds are far in favor of the seller not the buyer. The fact is that most defects will make themselves known within the standard warranty period.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Look at www.rv-dreams.com do a search for extended warranties.

The owner of that site has done a lot of research into extended warranties. They found one they liked so well that they became ambassadors for the extended warranty company. Based on the amount and type of research the website owners do on large purchase items I trust their judgement. So far they've had good results with the items and services they have researched and then purchased.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Ask for a blank copy of the policy. (If they will give you one) Read it and see what all is not covered.

Ask if the extended warranty starts when the manufacturers warranty expires or, will it run concurrent?

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Keen Family wrote:
You're being ripped off. The 2nd year warranty from Forest River is $150 (Maybe a little more up north of the border?).
http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f188/forest-river-extended-warranty-new-owners-read-63644.ht...
You are being pressured to buy a 3rd party warranty. Definitely look into the FR 2nd year warranty.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

tnscoutr
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, no. Put the money in a savings accout and use it to fix things after the standard warranty has expired.
06 Ford F250 Lariat Crewcab Powerstroke
2015 Keystone Hideout 30RKDS