Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of buying a 2007 Fleetwood Arcadia

2007 Fleetwood Highlander Arcadia:
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), (lbs.): 3,970
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW), (lbs.): 3,075
Unloaded Tongue Weight (UTW), (lbs.): 200
Maximum Carrying Capacity (MCC), (lbs.): 895

I found a great deal on an Equal-i-zer WDH with sway control that's rated for 600 lbs tongue weight and 6000 lbs trailer. Is this rating too high for the pup and could possibly bend the frame etc.?

http://http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Equal-i-zer/EQ37060ET.html

My max towing/tongue weight with a WDH for my 97 4Runner is 5500/550.
2011 Coleman Sun Valley, 1997 4Runner V6
12 REPLIES 12

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
Ryanincc wrote:

What kind of PUP you got? and TV?

Viking 2485SST
Dodge 1500 Megacab

The Pup runs about 3400 fully loaded for camping.

Ryanincc
Explorer
Explorer
p220sigman wrote:
It certainly won't hurt anything to use it unless you had the spring bars too tight. I don't run a WDH on ours, but do use a friction sway control even though I've never had even a moment of sway. I figured it as cheap insurance. The truck barely notices the tongue weight and there is no significant unloading of the front axle so a WDH wasn't needed.

What kind of PUP you got? and TV?

allornothing
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Niagara and I use the exact same hitch and boy what a difference to tow. You will absolutely love it. I paid $500 installed for mine and am on my third tow vehicle. You'll have to set it up to your tow vehicle but once you get it set it tows level and no sway, which fleetwoods will do. Make sure you pack it correctly and you'll be very happy with that hitch.

Just did the RV show here in PGH, really have the itch now!

Happy Camping

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
It certainly won't hurt anything to use it unless you had the spring bars too tight. I don't run a WDH on ours, but do use a friction sway control even though I've never had even a moment of sway. I figured it as cheap insurance. The truck barely notices the tongue weight and there is no significant unloading of the front axle so a WDH wasn't needed.

BigBaron
Explorer
Explorer
The Coleman frame is made for a WDH, so you should be good to go. You won't have to pull the spring bars that tight.
Baron, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith and OSD, Fang
'03 Hyundai Starex(H1) 2012 Coachmen Clipper Sport 126
Incheon, S. Korea
From six months of no camping to having a winter site 30 minutes from a ski resort! I'm a happy camper!

RimCountry
Explorer
Explorer
And I'm super glad I followed this thread... gonna take a harder look now at my PUP's frame and weight distribution. Just goes to show that the dumbest questions are always the ones not asked!
Michael, Suzy & Arnie Asada (Chihuahua)
'97 Viking Legend 2480
'19 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

Ryanincc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, guys! The hitch sells for $750 from the factory, $575 from etrailer, and I found one that was $250 and used only once by a guy who towed a TT home from the dealership and decided a week later he didn't want to RV after all. I don't think I could have passed up the deal so I'm super glad you guys think it will work fine.

PopUpTom
Explorer
Explorer
My vote is to go for it!

The Highlanders have a boxed tubular frame that is designed for WDH.
10% of your GVWR is about 400lbs, so you will likely be (or should be) around 500lbs tongue wt.
Most Fleetwood PUPs need sway control - the WDH will reduce or eliminate the sway- depends on tongue wt., Pup loading, etc.
The weight distribution is adjustable - this means you can set if from 0 to max. so overdoing it is intentional and avoidable. The WD amount is typically set by getting your TV to drop the same amount front and back with the camper attached. The amount of TV (Tow Vehicle)rear sag also has to do with spring rate and how much stuff is packed in the back. For me, I don't like to use the WDH to compensate for a lot of weight in the rear of the TV. I put the heavy stuff in the camper.

Hopefully, some other Highlander owners will chime in.
2001 V6 Highlander, 2002 Coleman Sun Valley, Single Bar WD, Tranny Temp Gage, Prodigy Brake Control (update 2010: we've moved outside of Memphis, the PUP has a new home, and we're pondering (2014: still pondering) a larger TV and a hardside)

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Should be ok provided your pop up is rated for a wd system (some are not). Talk to your manufacturer or a trusted dealer of that brand.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

RimCountry
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Bryan... just hope I never have to experience that reason first hand. PS: That's me in the slow lane doing 55!
'97 Viking Legend 2480

red31
Explorer
Explorer
I see you also posted in the towing forum! Maybe there, they will address if 600lb bars are enough! I suspect your TW will exceed 450 lbs with propane, water, battery(ies), etc.

Rim, that PU maker predrilled the frame of many PUs for sway controller for a reason!!!

RimCountry
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm... I've never seen anyone use sway control on a standard pop-up, nor have I met anyone who felt the need... I think that's part of the joy of it all! Well, it'll be interesting to see the responses to this question... I'm always ready to learn something new 🙂
'97 Viking Legend 2480