cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It’s been a good run

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 2 group 29 Interstates have been running since I purchased the camper new in May of 2014. Paid $170 for both of them at the dealer. Have performed great and we have used the you know what out of these!!! Hard to justify even thinking about lithium when these have met all our power needs.

Our recent trip to Brian head for several nights in the parking Lot @ temps in the single digits pretty much put them to death 😞 thinking of moving the next batch of batteries (looking at AGMs) inside the camper but really have not had any issues from these.

So if it ain’t broke do I just buy the same set or go with AGM’s as it is a pain the check the water levels and can possibly move them Inside etc.

Any ideas on the best deals out there?

Thnx in advance
Nolan
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads
32 REPLIES 32

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
zb39 wrote:
I have used the cheap 6V ones from sams for almost 30 years in 10 different RV's. Best bang for the buck. I don't ever do anything to them and I can get 5-6 years out of them. I also discharge them all the time.
It works for me. If I need more power I will put in more. 6 6V in my last TC. Thinking about putting in 10 for my DP.

My experience as well. Had 4 of them (at $46) put into my bus.
-1 l of coffee every morning
-microwave oven for meals preparation
-long showers, so lot of pump working
-incandescent lights at the time
and the batteries gave me 3-4 days before I had to start generator.
Start loosing capacity at 10 years mark, but I used couple of them till 12 years of age.
Best of 24V battery bank- you can use it for welding.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the cheap 6V ones from sams for almost 30 years in 10 different RV's. Best bang for the buck. I don't ever do anything to them and I can get 5-6 years out of them. I also discharge them all the time.
It works for me. If I need more power I will put in more. 6 6V in my last TC. Thinking about putting in 10 for my DP.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for all the replies, I was looking at getting the lifelines and almost pulling the trigger, but these blems (don't come with handles) caught my eye , anyone have any experience with DEKA's? Sounds like a pretty good deal, was thinking of getting 3 of them and putting one behind the battery compartment in my WC,

Limited unit's MSRP $328.67 for only $129.99 exchange (if no core + $28.00 core charge)
Hurry when they are gone they are gone **Very limited stock***

*** All have threaded studs***

12 Volt - 105 Amp Hrs - Group 31
Sealed Maintenance Free Deep Cycle Batteries for Marine, RV, EV (Electric Vehicle), Golf Cart, UPS, Inverter, Solar Panel (Photovoltaic), Telcom, CATV and Stand-by Applications

The Deka 8A31DT (8A31DTM) is an American made AGM (absorved glass-mat) deep cycle battery.

The AGM technology allows for a completely sealed maintenance-free battery with no sulfuric acid leaks, no acid clean up, and more power in the same space when compared to conventional batteries. It has an under 2% per month self discharge rate.
These are manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing who also makes batteries for MK Battery.

The Deka 8A31DT (8A31DTM) is a direct replacement for any group 31 lead-acid, GEL, or AGM batteries.

Deka 8A31DT AGM Battery Specifications:
Nominal Voltage: 12V
Amp Hour Capacity @ 20 hr rate: 105 a/h
Reserve Capacity @ 25 amp discharge rate: 210 mins
BCI Group Size: 31
Marine Cranking Amps @ 32* F: 1,000 amps
Cold Cranking Amps @ 0* F: 800 amps
Weight: 69 lbs
Length: 12 15/16 in.
Width: 6 3/4 in.
Height: 9 3/8 in.
Terminal Type:Stud Terminal
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
markchengr wrote:
It is OK to put AGM batteries inside an RV. Many people do it.

There are flooded batteries, who have vent tube as well. Used by several car manufacturer when mounted under the seat. All you need is to drill 1/4" hole in the floor and push vent tubing in it.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
My two FullRiver DC105-12 batteries are still going strong after 6+ years. One is in the normal battery box and one is under the dinette. They are sealed AGM and will vent only under extreme conditions. I have zero concern that the small amount of hydrogen gas that may be vented will be any danger.

The risk from that battery in an "un-vented box" is far less than that of an oncoming cellphone-reading driver.....IMHO.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
anutami wrote:
So if it ain’t broke do I just buy the same set or go with AGM’s as it is a pain the check the water levels and can possibly move them Inside etc.

Any ideas on the best deals out there?

Thnx in advance
Nolan

Hi Nolan, you scared me with your thread title, I thought you sold your Wolf Creek. My 6v Duracell Ultra wet cells in my WC850 are the same age as your batteries, I'm thinking of going with AGM next just for the fact that checking water levels is such a chore. My batteries are tall and just fit in the compartment and making the connections is tuff. My battery box seemed to be about 1/4" short in depth for larger 12v batteries so I went with 6v to get more amp hours. I'm thinking AGM is the way to go.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

markchengr
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is OK to put AGM batteries inside an RV. Many people do it.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
anutami wrote:

AGMs for sure. The fact that's in a pain in the neck to check water level is exactly why I replaced my AF batteries with AGM. It's exactly why I killed the wet cell batteries too.

My AGM Battery Upgrade
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer

Had to remove the lock tab on the right to get the door closed.

2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
anutami wrote:
it is a pain the check the water levels
Why not get sealed lead-acid?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
LadyRVer wrote:
Is it not illegal to have a battery (or batteries) inside a camper? I had a Class B and someone added a battery inside under a seating area and I was told by an automotive repair place, that was totally illegal to have a battery inside with no venting. Maybe I was told wrong?
Illegal might be a misnomer but certainly any battery that can produce fumes needs to be vented or it will not meet building safety code or RVIA standards.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let's talk about again in 6-8 years?
That will be time when cheap Golf Cart batteries of the same age will start dying.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Looks like enough room to stuff a couple 6v batteries of your choice in there!
Zero reason not to unless you just want to save a few bucks and buy batteries that are not as durable, don’t last as long, can’t be discharged as deep without harm and don’t have near the capacity.
It really shouldn’t even be a question as to what the best bang for the buck option is.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

specta
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
Is it not illegal to have a battery (or batteries) inside a camper? I had a Class B and someone added a battery inside under a seating area and I was told by an automotive repair place, that was totally illegal to have a battery inside with no venting. Maybe I was told wrong?

I don't doubt that one bit. I know that I wouldn't want one inside my camper.

I have two group 29 Ever Starts in my camper and that's all I'll ever need.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for Lifeline Batteries, great product.