cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jack

iagary
Explorer
Explorer
Question - what do you all use for a jack in case of a flat tire? Do you figure you can use your TV jack or do you carry something specific to the TT? If so, what? Looking for ideas.
30 REPLIES 30

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
CavemanCharlie wrote:
TenOC wrote:
MitchF150 wrote:
This is the same jack I've had in my truck for basically 'forever'.. I don't even remember how old it is, but I've had it for a loooong time..

Mitch

Placing the bottle jack as in the photo can cause a weak spot in the frame that can cause the frame to fail. Be sure to place wood or metal to spread the force out over more of the frame. Too much weight on the small 1 inch jack. Don't ask how I know, but you can find a good used TT in NM with a broken frame if you want to use it as . . :M . . "do not move" trailer.

That's what I was thinking. Not the correct place to put a jack.

Thanks for the tips guys.. I should say that while not mentioned or in the photo, I did have jack stands on either end of the frame as well, with all the weight on the jack stands while I did this work.

No place else to put the jack, but I will remember to use a board between the frame and the top of the jack.. I used to do that, but got lazy with it... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used a bottle jack and boards. Now I use a Tire Aid ramp.

The most important thing is to practice changing before you need too.

Three times in the last three years, knowing what to do and how to do it, has made the difference between the DW and I being that old couple stranded on a back road waiting for some road service repairman; and an annoying 20 minute delay.

Be Prepared is more than a Boy Scout motto.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a bottle jack in the TT, and I have the TV srew type jack as well... Different situations call for different jacks. Can't always choose where it will be needed.

But MOST IMPORTANT!!! Make sure you have a wrench that will fit your TT lugnuts! Don't assume that the TV wrench will fit... It probably won't.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a floor jack from Harbor freight and it works like a champ it is Aluminum so fairly light weight.

Not much heavier then the bottle jack I used to use but much easier and safer to use.

I put it in the back of the pickup and have used it many times once for me on side of road and numerous times helping others.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

jasoncw
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
6 ton bottle jack with wood blocks to achieve needed height while on the road. At home I use a "Trailer Aid" device

Just out of curiosity, why use the trailer aid at home, but not on the road? Seems like that is the simplest choice for all locations.
2016 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2005 Ford Excursion 6.8L 4.56's, V/C Springs, PP 3P, P3

Past:
2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
2009 Forest River Flagstaff 830RBSS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
6 ton bottle jack with wood blocks to achieve needed height while on the road. At home I use a "Trailer Aid" device
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had to use both - a six ton bottle jack and the screw jack from my truck. When the tire was flat, the bottle jack didn't have enough travel to get the RV high enough to put the new tire on. My truck jack isn't rated for the weight of the RV. I have to lift the RV as far as I can with the bottle jack. Slide the screw jack under to hold it in place while I unscrew the adjuster on the bottle jack. I reverse the process to let it down.

westend
Explorer
Explorer

He has torsion axles, not springs. Where would you suggest he position the jack?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
The important thing is to try your set-up at home before you really need it.
Hook up the TV and TT, let the air out of a tire and try to jack up the TT.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Torin dual ram bottle jack that extends from a min. 5 1/4" to 14 1/2" high. I'll use it under an axle and since we have overslung axles (axle on top of springs), I need to use a block of wood under the U-bolts but am going to make a saddle (steel) to fit under the U-bolts.

I can see a possible situation where you pull over and the shoulder is sloped the wrong way and jacking the frame could be risky, or where you stop and don't want to or can't move forward or back. A jack under an axle allows you to remain in the spot that you stopped. I can also use it at home for a bearing repack or brake inspection. We could use our plastic leveling blocks to make a ramp if needed.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
TenOC wrote:
MitchF150 wrote:
This is the same jack I've had in my truck for basically 'forever'.. I don't even remember how old it is, but I've had it for a loooong time..

Mitch

Placing the bottle jack as in the photo can cause a weak spot in the frame that can cause the frame to fail. Be sure to place wood or metal to spread the force out over more of the frame. Too much weight on the small 1 inch jack. Don't ask how I know, but you can find a good used TT in NM with a broken frame if you want to use it as . . :M . . "do not move" trailer.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
MitchF150 wrote:

Mitch

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
jasoncw wrote:
Do you have a dual axle TT? And are they they close together or spread apart? If they are close, you can just ride up on a few leveling blocks, and it will pop the other tire off the ground. If you want to spend the money on a tool specifically for it instead of using blocks, you can use a Trailer-Aid.

I had a flat in TX near (with in a mile of) one of the state prisons. I call 911 and told them where I was and ask if they could send the highway police to direct traffic. I did not want them to think I was trying to help someone escape.

I use the leveling block trick. The patrolman said that he learned something that may help him in the future with campers that have flats.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

iagary
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice. The axles are pretty close together, but the next time I have it hooked up I will try it. THANKS.