cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing carpet next to bed

TheBeans
Explorer
Explorer
For some obscure reason known only to the manufacturer of our rig, they carpeted the 'table' that is right next to either side of our bed. I call this area a 'table' because this is where you'd normally find a flat formica/vinyl surface where one could put a clock or a cup of coffee or one's CPAP machine. However, in our rig, we have carpeting and that just isn't working for us.

So, here's my question: Can this carpet be removed w/o destroying the rest of the carpeting it's attached to? We've never ripped carpet out of anything we've ever owned and I want to be able to do it right if we can. In the photo shown below, I want to be able to remove the carpet from within the light blue rectangle that I drew.

Suggestions and/or directions are most welcome!

Wendy & Darrell
2014 Cougar Half-Ton 21RBSWE
2020 Ford F150
12 REPLIES 12

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for letting us know that you found a solution

TheBeans
Explorer
Explorer
After much consideration, I was going to cut a piece of MDF to fit that space but then I remembered I had an old melamine serving tray (the kind you use to serve breakfast in bed) that was slated to go to Goodwill if I didn't get around to using it...and it fit perfectly! The nice thing about it is the ridge/lip that runs around the perimeter of it---keeps everything inside the tray. The legs folded up nicely (although they could also be unfolded but that raises the tabletop significantly) and they don't slide away on the carpet. I'm really happy with this solution. Easy to 'install' and it fits w/o needing cutting or attaching and it serves the functions I was after!
Wendy & Darrell
2020 Ford F150

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger8r wrote:
Why not just build a small box and maybe add a small drawer that would just slide between the bed and wall with enough room for the bed covers to hang between them. One small corner bracket and a couple 1/2 in wood screws would hold it in place.

If you do that you lose the storage area for a drink, your phone, their CPAP machine, etc... It'd be nice to have the extra storage for sure, but having the room for what they need is key. I like being able to have my drink, phone and glasses sitting right next to me within easy reach and not easy spill, but I have a Formica side area with a drawer and some carpet....I guess I have all the options, so I don't know better.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

Tiger8r
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just build a small box and maybe add a small drawer that would just slide between the bed and wall with enough room for the bed covers to hang between them. One small corner bracket and a couple 1/2 in wood screws would hold it in place.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
scotty46 wrote:
I just bought some wood serving trays to place on the floor. It also helps to protect the carpet in the event of a spill. Plastic trays like you find in a cafeteria would also work.

That's what I was thinking. Quick, easy, and it doesn't change the trade in value.

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with just covering it with whatever you want to replace it. That way you can always remove what you put on top of it if/when needed and it still looks normal. Assuming you can access the underneath of that area from the storage bay, you could screw a piece of Formica or whatever to it from the underneath and it'll look nice, be stable and serve your purpose.

If you really want it out, I agree with cutting it and adding a nice piece of trim to cut the edges or attempting to curl the rough edge over it and staple it back down. You'll still have to most likely put something down over the raw wood to make it look nice and/or be smooth for your needs.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

scotty46
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought some wood serving trays to place on the floor. It also helps to protect the carpet in the event of a spill. Plastic trays like you find in a cafeteria would also work.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I once removed the bedroom carpet in the sleeping area of a class "C" we had. I found perfectly good vinyl flooring under the carpet. Apparently the manufacturer had vinyl floored the entire RV before adding the carpet.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, you can remove it. You will be left with an unfinished edge. Typical procedure would be to turn the edge and staple, A alternative would be to cut at the bottom of the riser piece and have the cut edge bound. Another would be to have some type of edging or maybe a binding material applied in situ. If you remove the carpet and install a counter top or something else above the cut edge, you need do nothing but staple or glue the riser piece in place.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
You can always cut the carpet but the question is can you trim it so it looks nice.

As for why it was done? Well why not? From the manufacturer's view point what can you set on wood that you cannot set on carpet? Why go to the trouble and expense of an insert.

That is why many TT owners modify and tweak their interiors.

I would probably make a thin hardwood cover and screw it down to the carpet in the area indicated.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

TheBeans
Explorer
Explorer
I have to laugh because I cannot count the number of times I've been poked in the back or smacked my head on that cabinet over this area!
Wendy & Darrell
2020 Ford F150

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know, but when you find something out, please post it.

The only reason I can see for having carpet there is to cushion your knees when making that bed with the terrible design. If you are veerrrryyy careful, you might only poked in the back by the bottom edge of the closet a few times during the bed making procedure.