cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires again

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a while since I've posted here. I remember all of the threads about how bad tires are these days, particularly those made in China.

Recently bought a '94 GMC Suburban and put some Les Schwab Open Country H/T 10 ply tires on it. Found out they were made in Japan. Hadn't seen that before. Hope they are better than the Chinese rags.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)
8 REPLIES 8

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
In exclusively Toyo on my GMC Duramax towing the fifth wheel and the wife's jeep. They wear well, are not real noisy, and give me that extra bit of traction when roads are icy.. Never had any trouble with their Toyo tire

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
LVJJJ wrote:
Says "Made in Japan" on the sidewall.

I've been buying Toyo open country's for many years and never have had any problems with them.

The new tires on my TT from Les were made in China

Thank you, I looked up my size and Tire Rack showed USA, but the size for your Suburban it did show Japan.

Yeah, I was actually happy when I saw the "Made in Japan" label. Strange how time changes things.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2008 HHR

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:

I've been buying Toyo open country's for many years and never have had any problems with them.

Thank you, I looked up my size and Tire Rack showed USA, but the size for your Suburban it did show Japan.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know that 50 years ago made in Japan was a bad thing but I have not had any complaints about a Japanese made product in 30 years or so. Not that it can't change but I take "Made in Japan" as a mark of quality these days.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer

1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2008 HHR

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
If you're talking Toyo open country, they are generally regarded as some of the best quality tires.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Japanese company, but many of their tires are made in the USA. Check again on the sidewall and report back.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Open Country is made by Toyo, which has always been a Japanese company. They make a good quality tire as far as I know (I used to run them without a problem on my Ford Explorer).