cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jayco Hybrid Frame Failure

Retired2RV
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2014 23' Jayco Hybrid trailer back in July and had a major frame failure where the tongue attaches to the longitudinal frames. The unit narrowly escaped scraping the freeway while traveling around 65mph. If this had happened, we would have made national news for sure. We got lucky. The unit settled at about 4" off the ground with the battery boxes acting as a wedge between the tongue and front wall. Needless to day, we are pretty shook up. We are curious to know if this might be an isolated failure or if there are any others out there that have experienced something similar? It seems very abnormal to have this type of failure. Sure the roads in Alabama are rough but we never ventured off the freeway 10 and was using a Uhaul van to tow it at the time. It was very lightly loaded with only some clothes and food stuffs. The Uhaul was used to take the brunt of the load to save wear and tear while moving from Washington to Florida.
40 REPLIES 40

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
Retired2RV wrote:
The model we have is a Jay Feather Ultra Lite X23B.

Oh my! this is my favorite model/floor plan!
Thanks for let me know!
A Girl vs RV world - I know I can do this!
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon +
2015 Jayco SLX 184BH + Andersen No Sway WDH

Retired2RV
Explorer
Explorer
We fully understand the value of winterizing as our original home state was Washington. Unfortunately, the frame failure of our unit took place on our trip from Washington to Florida back in October of 2014. We had to leave the broken unit that was unfit to be towed anywhere, a full days travel from out final destination in SE Florida. It was very frustrating to have to deal with a service center that was so far away and thought many time of paying the charges needed to relocate it to a service center more local to our new home. Hind sight, we should have done this. Being this far away, we were at the mercy of the dealer that held the RV in Alabama. Being that far away, we were disconnected from the conditions that were taking place there and what the current state of the unit was being kept in. Come to find out, it was simply towed to and placed in the back yard at the dealer and left as-is. The failure had actually caused the unit to be open to the outside environment as the battery box was stuffed through the outer shell of the unit directly behind it. This allowed rain water, insects and high humidity levels to infiltrate the inside of the unit. At the time, it was thought that the unit was going to be replaced and obviously not enough attention was paid to the departure condition it was in. No one at the dealer paid any attention to it for the duration it was at their facility. Had we known this we would have been a little more diligent about relocating it to a place where we could more easily watch over it ourselves. Very expensive lesson learned for us. Unfortunately, the damage done to our confidence of the unit, manufacturer and service dealer have taken their toll on us. We have no intention of returning to any Jayco dealer for service, even if covered under warranty, and for sure never to make another purchase. As soon as we can come up with the funds needed to pay off the quite large resulting negative equity of this unit, we will dispose of it.

I have spent many years working with design, manufacturing and servicing of pleasure and commercial marine vessels and will never again assume that the RV industry follows or is subject to the same levels of independent oversight with regards to quality, safety and service standards, similar to what is in place for the marine industries. The level of quality and fit/finish at delivery and the durability are on a totally different plane. The best option out there, from our experience, is if you want to RV, go rent. When you are done, you give them the keys back and walk away. From what we have invested in the purchase of this "new" RV, we could have stayed at top level vacation rentals, hotels, etc. and saved ourselves significant anguish. Yes, expensive lesson learned...

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
It's sad to hear stories about events that happen to people and their campers and it's even worse when the manufacture fails to help when a serious event occurs. I have had 3 Jaycos and so far have had no major issues. I feel strongly that a good dealer goes a long way in providing good customer service. The local Jayco dealer I have dealt with bends over backwards to provide excellent customer service.
Not being mean spirited, but in the service department I use, I see a big sign saying to be sure your camper is winterized before service during colder months because units sit outside before and after service.
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

Retired2RV
Explorer
Explorer
The model we have is a Jay Feather Ultra Lite X23B.

dusky70
Explorer
Explorer
Wow that is very unfortunate, customer service is very important, my friends and I will keep this in mind when we buy our new travel trailers.

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
Wow... that is bad, very bad.

Your Dealer should had at least suggested to winterize your RV
(on you or on Jayco expense)

Every one know that all RV's MUST be winterize before winter.

I am very very sad to read this thread.
This is everyone biggest nightmare... we buy new units so we can avoid events/stories like this.

What is your Jayco model number?
A Girl vs RV world - I know I can do this!
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon +
2015 Jayco SLX 184BH + Andersen No Sway WDH

Retired2RV
Explorer
Explorer
For one reason or another, our situation seems to be nothing but bad. The frame was finally fixed and we are happy about this. It was disturbing for sure to find out that Jayco could have said "sorry", the manual says not to tow with a stiff suspension and so you are on your own. I guess it pays to read all of the fine print in your manual. They do not specify what conditions fit into this small disclaimer so I recommend that if you are towing with anything that is over a 1/2-ton truck, check with your dealer to get confirmation that you are within their coverage conditions.

We picked up our unit and headed out. The first night we stopped and plugged in the utilities we discovered that many of the fresh water system fittings were broken. Our unit sat in the Jayco dealers lot for 5 months through winter. During the winter, temperatures dropped below freezing long enough to do a number on our unit. Again, both Jayco and the service dealer indicated no liability and would not cover any of the damages. I don't understand how anyone can feel that they are being even a little bit good about customer service in our situation. I want to add too that at no time did any of us use any harsh words, profanity or abusive speech toward anyone at Jayco or the service dealer in Dothan Alabama. We are still very confused as to why we have been treated this way. They did make comment about this post. This means that they do read them. This is a good thing. Nothing in any of our writings was not true or in any way stretched from reality. The information presented in these posts represent the actual events and anyone is welcome to verify them as so. I encourage this. These failures have now cost us many thousands of dollars in direct and indirect expenses. Needless to say, we are not feeling part of the Jayco family as the original founder desired us to be. Moving on now...thanks for your support and comments and we hope the best for those out there that have managed to be taken care of well...

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I found Jayco to be an exceptional company when it comes to customer service. Starcraft as well was exceptional and why I considered Jayco after having excellent experiences with them. Starcraft is owned by Jayco.

As far as the frame, unfortunately these Ultralite frames are known to have issues dating back many many years. I believe this is the frame manufacturers problem but Jayco sometimes modifies the frame to fit the floorplan, as with my 26BH. In that case, Jayco may be responsible for warranty repairs and damages associated with it.

I don't buy the WDH causing it as the WDH is required with the proper tension to equalize the load between the front and rear axles of the truck.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Wine_Maker
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Scary stuff here. Regardless of what the OP ultimately said. 4-5 months to resolve this issue is not acceptable.

Shame on Jayco.
Happy in the woods.

shfd739
Explorer
Explorer
Leaf-Peeper wrote:
I'm sure Retired2RV is indeed quite pleased that corrective action is finally being taken. You can read his/her follow up response and interpret it whichever way you so choose. Are we really supposed to believe that the suspension the likes of a 1 ton tow vehicle is to blame for the failure of a trailer chassis?

The failure of this Bal/Norco framed Jayco must have been caused by the stiff of suspension on this truck too. Hmm..., why I can't quite tell just what the tow vehicle is in the videos shown on the forth post down here..., can anyone make it out? :R >>> http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f41/cracks-in-norco-bal-a-frame-2013-a-21161.html

Videos is an F150 which is far from a stiff suspension.

Sounds like Jayco and Norco made up an excuse for the frame failure and are still covering it because they know it's their fault.

Crossing Jayco off my hybrid list. Looks like we'll wind up with a Roo
'17 Shadow Cruiser 240BHS
'08 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
‘07 NBS Silverado 2500 Dmax

Leaf-Peeper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure Retired2RV is indeed quite pleased that corrective action is finally being taken. You can read his/her follow up response and interpret it whichever way you so choose. Are we really supposed to believe that the suspension the likes of a 1 ton tow vehicle is to blame for the failure of a trailer chassis?

The failure of this Bal/Norco framed Jayco must have been caused by the stiff suspension on this truck too. Hmm..., why I can't quite tell just what the tow vehicle is in the videos shown on the forth post down here..., can anyone make it out? :R >>> http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f41/cracks-in-norco-bal-a-frame-2013-a-21161.html
'05 Chevy Tahoe & ’08 Rockwood Roo 23ss
'62 Myself
'62 Camper Honey
'96 Camper Twin Girls

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
What a difference a week makes. It only took them 5 months to step up, after they found out the frame manufacturer would take care of it. Best of luck.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Retired2RV
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome! Jayco is amazing! We were helped to appreciate that our owners manual clearly identified our problem: TOO STIFF A SUSPENSION. Our Big Uhaul Tow Vehicle suspension was the problem. Here's the kicker: even though neither Jayco nor Norco (the frame manufacturer) were at fault, they are willing to replace the broken frame and make the needed repairs to get us back on the road as a GESTURE OF GOOD FAITH! SO, FOR ALL YOU READERS, CONSIDER THIS A RETRACTION OF ANY STATEMENTS I MADE PUTTING ANY BLAME ON JAYCO OR NORCO! Additionally, I suggest to anyone that is towing anything, please read your Tow Vehicle guidelines and adjust accordingly.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you are all safe. Do you have any pictures we can see? Yes, please keep us posted on how Jayco deals with you and this issue.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)