cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jeep Gladiator Overland Tow vehicle

Max_s_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I am new to the forum, but not RVing. New to towing, always had a motorhome. I have a Jeep Gladiator Overland. 8-sp Auto trans, with tow package, class IV hitch. Manual states 6,000# tow ability, 600# hitch weight, 1083# max payload, 11,100 GCWR. Specs state a frontal area of 40ft. I have a Redarc Tow-pro Elite Brake Controller installed. I want to tow a FR Surveyor Legend 202RBLE, dual axles, UVW 4931# (brochure), hitch weight: 497#, CCC: 2566# (I doubt I would ever load this much) ext. height 11'2", ext. width: 96", ext. length 24'4".

I plan on using an Andersen WDH with Sway control. I don't load my truck down, normally solo travel or only with one other person. Please comment on this rig so I can better figure out if this is the correct tow vehicle for this trailer or visa/versa. I haven't ordered the trailer but do own the 2021 JT. Thanks for your comments!
13 REPLIES 13

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
I'm all for breaking GCWR rules on full size trucks, but in this case the trailer is too much for the Jeep.

JT is close to 5k lbs, the trailer UVW likely doesn't include propane / batteries. At 11k GCW you have roughly 1000 lbs for batt / propane / water / clothing / food / gear. That's cutting it close. Then we have double the frontal area...

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Once folks can wrap their head around the Gladiator being a Jeep with a pickup bed and not a full size pickup with the Jeep brand, this will be easier to understand.

Not saying y’all haven’t, but the TV commercials are misleading for those who aren’t vehicle saavy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
1083# max payload

The manual lists base specs. You should check your door sticker where it lists your actual as-equipped payload. It's likely a couple hundred pounds less. Payload is probably your effective limit (besides frontal area, but that's more of a performance & cooling spec), especially if you bought a pickup to carry anything in the bed.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Max_s_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone that left a comment. LOTS to think about... Either buy the trailer and look for another tow vehicle or keep the Jeep and go with something lighter! Yikes!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
You’ll be at 6k lbs loaded for a trip. That’s a lot of weight to ask of the 3.6. Even with its good power it’s taxed just hauling around the empty Gladiator. This is where Jeep dropped the ball by skipping the 5.7 Hemi as an option. And only offering the 6.4 on the 4dr Wrangler! A 5.7 is all that would be needed for the Gladiator.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I'd look at R-Pod style TT's and keep stickered UVW's around 3500 lbs. You want a narrower style TT for less wind drag. The rounded front section on R-Pod style TT's will help as well.
I would even look at this https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/flagstaff-e-pro/E19FD/3557

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure you wouldn't like a Casita? I think the Gladiator with Andersen would do fine with one of those low-profile 'egg' trailers.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

APT
Explorer
Explorer
If you care about the specs, you will be limited to low walled RVs. If the frontal area is the only spec you are willing to exceed, then you'll want to stay close to 4k dry, maybe 3500. Add 750 pounds to loaded weight and 200 to TW for nearly any TT in that weight range.

I the specs do not matter, you have plenty of power. There are aftermarket upgrades to improve most aspects of towing high walled RVs near/over various ratings.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Will say the axles are stout enough though and suspension can be stiffened up easy.
I wouldn’t count it out. Just know you may need to do a couple things to the Yeep.
Trans will make the most of the little engine and is a good unit for towing.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
unless you have the diesel, the performance is pretty underwhelming for towing 1/2 ton truck sized campers with the milquetoast V6.

The one I did look at looked great for off roading. Looked like a Jeep when it comes to towing. (Soft suspension).
Too much trailer for a newb to handle behind that buggy, IMO.
Great vehicle. But a bit smaller camper is what I’d be after.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to check Motor Trend's 2021 Truck of the Year comments regarding the Gladiator and towing. They tested Ecodiesel and Mojave trim versions towing a 5,200# Airstream with no WDH. Their comments were the Gladiator was scary and borderline dangerous.

If I was going to proceed, I wouldn't use the Andersen but would jump to a heavier hitch with more stout anti-sway capabilities. The actual weight of that trailer with options, propane tanks and battery will far exceed 5,000#.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Max_s_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Something to think about.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
If you want to stick with all the specced tow ratings, you would already be way over on frontal area. 40 square feet limits you to just a five foot high frontal dimension if the trailer is eight feet wide. I think you might bump up against your GCWR, hitch weight and payload limits as well. The Gladiator appears big and beefy, but the nuts and bolts beneath that beefy exterior, not so much.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3