cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jeep Pickup (Gladiator)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this on the net....Jeep is going back into the pickup market...
Thought it was interesting....and sorry if I am the last one to know and it has already been posted....

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro
46 REPLIES 46

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:

He`s definitely not the smartest out there if he bought a Land Rover! those are probably the biggest POS on the road.

He's not the smartest when making a purchase and why I'm expecting him to replace the Land Rover anytime now. He'll go thru 1-2 vehicles/year with the jeep being the shortest ownership.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I love Jeeps. But I sure wouldn’t want a Wrangler to use if I had to do a lot of highway driving with it. Lots of better options for that.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
intheburbs wrote:
mich800 wrote:
intheburbs wrote:
Kinda curious what's different about the Gladiator that they more than double the trailer tow rating of the Wrangler Unlimited. 7650 lbs towing capacity, which is a gigantic leap over the 3500 of the Wrangler. So what was the limiting factor in the Wrangler? Frame, brakes, receiver, axles, other? Looking at the specs, not sure how "3rd generation Dana heavy-duty axles" compare to the Dana 44? Is it more like a 60?

I am thinking wheel base is a pretty big factor. If you have spent much time in a wrangler even the unlimited wheeelbase versions they are not the best on road vehicle. I have yet to be in one that wasn't a wandering SOB on pavement. I cannot imagine a high profile 6k trailer behind one.

You did read my sig, right? 😉

Both of my Wranglers are rock-solid; so much so that I let my teenage kids drive them all the time. And when I rotate tires, I take them out on the highway at, shall we say, extralegal speeds, and again both rock-solid. Right up into triple digits.

A guy at work owned a jeep for ~1 month earlier this year and after driving it from Houston to San Antonio he couldn't stand the ride with the wandering problem. He traded it on a new Land Rover.

He`s definitely not the smartest out there if he bought a Land Rover! those are probably the biggest POS on the road.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
intheburbs wrote:
mich800 wrote:
intheburbs wrote:
Kinda curious what's different about the Gladiator that they more than double the trailer tow rating of the Wrangler Unlimited. 7650 lbs towing capacity, which is a gigantic leap over the 3500 of the Wrangler. So what was the limiting factor in the Wrangler? Frame, brakes, receiver, axles, other? Looking at the specs, not sure how "3rd generation Dana heavy-duty axles" compare to the Dana 44? Is it more like a 60?

I am thinking wheel base is a pretty big factor. If you have spent much time in a wrangler even the unlimited wheeelbase versions they are not the best on road vehicle. I have yet to be in one that wasn't a wandering SOB on pavement. I cannot imagine a high profile 6k trailer behind one.

Both of my Wranglers are rock-solid; so much so that I let my teenage kids drive them all the time. And when I rotate tires, I take them out on the highway at, shall we say, extralegal speeds, and again both rock-solid. Right up into triple digits.

I didn't say you couldn't drive them safe. I have thousands of miles on the JL's. But they wander with every wind blow and change in road. I personally would not want to tow much of anything with them. Maybe a quick trip. But anything longer just wouldn't be worth the effort for me personally.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
intheburbs wrote:
mich800 wrote:
intheburbs wrote:

A guy at work owned a jeep for ~1 month earlier this year and after driving it from Houston to San Antonio he couldn't stand the ride with the wandering problem. He traded it on a new Land Rover.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
intheburbs wrote:

2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
intheburbs wrote:

ETA: Answered my own question. It has Dana 44s front and rear.

Wheelbase doesn't hurt...the wheelbase on this new Jeep pickup is a few inches more than my Suburban!

They also redesigned the rear 5 link suspension with heavier parts, the grill openings were widened, and a larger cooling fan was installed. And it comes with 3.73 gears rather than 3.42's the non-Rubicon's usually get.

I read the diesel will have a slightly lower tow rating strictly because the intercooler/aftercooler for the turbo adds some heat to the cooling "stack".

This article has some good info on the changes made to increase tow and payload ratings.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-diesel-jeep-gladiator-pickup-130000498.html
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
intheburbs wrote:

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer

ETA: Answered my own question. It has Dana 44s front and rear.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
discovery4us wrote:
Our Jeep dealer has been offering a conversion that looks a lot this one for about five years or so. There are probable 5 or 6 running around town, four door and two door wranglers.

Yep, the AEV Brute conversion (there may be others, I don't know). You can even get it with a Hemi V8 installed!
As with so many things, all it takes is time and money. LOTS of money!

Gladiator will be a " Hero" vehicle in the US for FCA

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
discovery4us wrote:
Our Jeep dealer has been offering a conversion that looks a lot this one for about five years or so. There are probable 5 or 6 running around town, four door and two door wranglers.

Yep, the AEV Brute conversion (there may be others, I don't know). You can even get it with a Hemi V8 installed!
As with so many things, all it takes is time and money. LOTS of money!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

3TV
Explorer
Explorer
For the last 40+ years I have gone back and forth between a small to midsize pickup, and a Jeep, for back country exploring (they call it overlanding these days). I don't do as difficult of terrain as I did decades ago, and a small pickup has made a better platform for back country exploring lately. Right now I own a Chevrolet ZR2 for that purpose. It works well with its improved suspension and front/rear lockers, but it is really limited by the small 30" tires it comes with. And 32s are as big as you can go without major changes. The main problem with the ZR2 though, is a relative lack of aftermarket products for it.

This Gladiator pickup truck will have a ton of aftermarket products made for it. Every offroad oriented aftermarket manufacturer in the world is going to be making products for it. Plus, 35s will fit with no lift, and 37s will fit with a 2" lift.

There will be a Gladiator in my garage within the next year or two. The only decision left to make is ... gas or diesel. 🙂

I still have the F350 for camper hauling and towing heavy, and that wont change.
2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie SWB 4x4
2020 Lance 825
2021 Grand Design Momentum 350G

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Oh and don't count the Dakota out just yet! 😉

Keep telling me that! I want it so bad.

I'd really like to see a hybrid Dakota with a 6000lb tow capacity and a payload to match...

Leather or vinyl seats (no cloth) with seat heaters.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a Gladiator on the freeway last night. It actually looks nice in the Red and Black.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS