cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

BobaFett
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are looking at getting our first trailer. I drive a 4 door 2015 Jeep Willys with 3.73 axles front and rear and a 3500lbs tow capacity. We have been looking at getting a Jayco 16mrb with a weight of 2850lbs. I have a few questions. Do I have to get a transmission cooler? I have a class II hitch but do I need better? Anyone have experience with a small trailer like this? The under belly is sealed so can I camp in cold temps??
13 REPLIES 13

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
To make it simple. Nothing more than a PuP, wave runners, small aluminum fishing boat or a couple snowmobiles. You can probably do a tear drop, but nothing more!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Even with the tow rating of a JKU being 3500lbs, it's about 1500 lbs more than I'd want to tow with one.

I had a 2012 JKU-R with 4:10 gears and the 5 speed auto. I towed a 6x12 tandem axle cargo trailer. It did OK, but the mpg dropped to 12mpg, and I wouldn't have wanted to tow anything taller or wider than that cargo trailer.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
BobaFett wrote:
Wow I have been crunching numbers, doing the math for every possible scenario but no math beats experience. Thank all of you for sharing your thoughts.

Kudos to you for actually being receptive to what you are reading!

Crunching numbers is good, but you have to understand all of the factors. IMO, there is simply no way you won't be overweight. That trailer, with propane, will be over 3,000 pounds before it rolls off the lot. Add the weight of the WD hitch and your wife and you will be nearing the 3,500 limit before you put a drop of fluid or an ounce of gear in either the car or the trailer. I'd bet you'd be over by a minimum of 10% with careful loading. Add in payload and frontal area restrictions and it will not be a successful marriage. Go pop-up or, if at all possible, upgrade your rig to tow your desired trailer.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Also in addition to potentially exceeding the GCWR you also have a frontal area restriction of 32 sq.-ft. So that would leave pretty much leave only popup's in play. It's all in your owners manual...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
Owner of two Wrangler Unlimiteds here...

Don't know about yours, and my wife's '16 isn't home right now to look at her payload sticker, but the payload of my 2010 Wrangler is 850 lbs.

A 3000-lb trailer will have at least 400 lbs of tongue weight, plus the weight of the hitch itself, and you're not left with a lot payload for people and gear.

We love our Jeeps, but they're definitely not tow rigs. Hell, when I climb into one with my two grown sons and my friend, just the four of us puts us over on payload.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

BobaFett
Explorer
Explorer
Wow I have been crunching numbers, doing the math for every possible scenario but no math beats experience. Thank all of you for sharing your thoughts.

Y-Guy
Over on a Wrangler forum I talked with a guy who was looking a similar Jayco, but I think it was a 2016. Same advice you are getting here was given to him, but he didn't listen. Bought it, towed it on two trip and and sold it. He never said much but I eventually saw he was now his Jeep as a Dingy when I asked why he told me it was a miserable experience. Even with the newer engine (I have a 2011 with the MiniVan Engine) he said it was over weight and towed like a parachute, the Jeep already drives like a brick.

I love my Jeep but I wouldn't try to tow something with that high of a profile and that weight.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I definitely would not tow with a Wrangler that trailer. The trailer will weigh much more then brochure or dry weights. A class II hitch will not cut it. Jeeps have their place, towing is not one of them.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
With a 95" wheelbase, that vehicle makes a horrible tow vehicle.

It's 116 inches.

But it's still not something I would do.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
With a 95" wheelbase, that vehicle makes a horrible tow vehicle.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
with two people in the tow vehicle and gas and anything you put into the new TT you will be over weight. I wouldn't worry about adding a tranny cooler because in my opinion you need to get a better tow vehicle

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need to determine the payload capacity of that Jeep. That is often the limiting factor. Payload includes everything carried in the vehicle plus the hitch weight of the trailer.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do I have to get a transmission cooler? Yes! Cooler the tranny the better.

I have a class II hitch but do I need better? Yes! Two is maxed at 3,500. Nothing should be maxed for safety. Get a III

The under belly is sealed so can I camp in cold temps?? Yes with precautions. Read articles on cold weather camping.

What’s the tow capacity and payload of the Jeep? What will you carry in the Jeep?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad