cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just seeking opinions on a used Duramax

phone_man
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.coverthutto.com/Used-2005-Chevrolet-Silverado-2500HD-LT-4X4-CRW----Round-Rock-TX/vd/27421052

I just bought my wife a new car two weeks ago and saw this truck on the used car lot. For some reason I keep thinking about it. I currently tow a 8K travel trailer with a 2000 Ford Excursion V10, but have always wanted a true truck for multiple reasons. I have never owned a diesel, but I do know that some Duramax motors are more desirable than others. Anyone have an opinion or random thoughts about this year and model? Thanks for any response and I apologize if I am beating a dead horse in regards to the topic.
35 REPLIES 35

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The reason TX trucks have high mileage is because in a large part of the state a six pack is 70 miles away. That mileage won't hurt you, but it will save you money.
Puma 30RKSS

salem
Explorer
Explorer
P.S. To the OP, "thedieselplace.com" has tons of information on the LLY over heating problems. You may find it helpful.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well 164,000 miles is nothing for a diesel, I would say the truck is only 10 years old! Check it over well for wear, it will will give you a good Idea how it was treated. Look closely at the drivers seat and arm rest. Test all options. Ten years is not that bad in newer trucks.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I have an '05 LLY, and it is an over heater under certain conditions. Those conditions would be any time I'm towing up hill for more than a few miles, and the ambient temperature is over 90 degrees. I have talked to several others in various campgrounds that have the same issues. I also know others who have spent over $1,000 to have the engine upgraded to the '06 style air system and it did not solve the problem. Towing on flat ground, it's great. If hills are not an issue with the OP, then I'd say "go for it."

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned an '01 8.1L with the 5 speed Allison, an '07 Duramax with the 6 speed Allison, and currently drive an '05 with the 5 speed Allsion.
I prefer the 5 speed. The manual shift is completely unnecessary because the Allsion knows what gear to be in empty or overloaded.
If you're cruising along in 6th gear and step on it to pass someone the 6 speed has to downshift twice.
OP,
My '05 Duramax that I bought new has 198,000 miles on it. Most of them towing, hauling, or both. It has been extremely reliable and low maintenance and it does not overheat.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I feel the 5 speed works great for this reason. I have one and like it but really the 6 speed 06 would be better because of the extra HP and torque than our 05 but because it only a towing truck except for the city driving in Az each winter. Just a tap on the shifter goes down to 4th on the hills and another tap back to fifth. No brainer for me.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
48ford wrote:
Opinions are like belly buttons......everybody has one. This is mine.:)

Some have problems, some don't
I believe the 2005 Duramax is one of the best used trucks out there.

I would agree with this. An '05 Duramax would be my choice out of the other available options for that year. Great powertrain, and should be a decent truck.

That said, a 10 yr old truck could have any number of problems. While the engine and transmission can last a very long time, other parts of the truck are not as robust. Injectors can become an issue at that age. Check the transfer case for the 'pump rub' issue that is quite common on these trucks.

Good luck!
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
trail-explorer wrote:
Those that have a 5 speed say there's no need for a 6 speed - probably because they haven't towed with a 6 speed. Those with a 6 Speed say they would never want the 5 speed.

The 6 speed also gets you manual shift capabilities, which as far as I'm concerned is a must have item for towing heavy.

06 and newer have the 6 speed Allison, which has manual shift mode, via a button on the shift lever, which works once you drop the lever to "M" mode.

I have an 2015 with the 6 speed, and had a 04.5 with the 5 speed towed for 100K miles with it. Personally, when towing either is fine. 5 speed has manual shift capabilities, just need to use the shift lever, 6 speed just goes to a tap shift.

In 95+% of the time, using tow/haul does fine. In fact, I actually in prefer the 5 speed overdrive lockout vs. the 6 speed tapshift. to drop out of 5th to 4th, just push the tow/haul button and hold it and it drops out of overdrive. Push again and back to overdrive.

No such thing on the 6 speed. you have to move the shift lever from drive down to M and then tap to 5, 4 or whatever.

If your looking for a used duramax, IMHO don't make the 5 or 6 speed a decision changer, either is fine.

6 speed does have a advantage if you do a lot of unloaded highway driving with the extra gear.

^^^^^ This.

I have a 6 speed LBZ and I have driven a 5 speed LB7. Both are great trucks and I would have either. Solo, sure it makes a bit of a difference but towing, naaa.

Now a 4 speed to a 5 speed is a whole different kettle of fish. I would have a Goat in my garage instead of a Bow Tie if it wasn't for the 4 speed in the Goat at the time.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

48ford
Explorer
Explorer
Opinions are like belly buttons......everybody has one. This is mine.:)

Some have problems, some don't
I believe the 2005 Duramax is one of the best used trucks out there.

05 GMC LLY 2500HD
93000 miles
Never overheated
#2 and #7 injector harness rub through repair
RR axle seal replaced
CD/radio replaced
Rims refinished
Right side body molding replaced
All repairs done under warranty
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD EC/SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison Onyx Black
DeeZee SS Nerf Bars Line X
2006 Open Road 349RL3S-5

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
Those that have a 5 speed say there's no need for a 6 speed - probably because they haven't towed with a 6 speed. Those with a 6 Speed say they would never want the 5 speed.

The 6 speed also gets you manual shift capabilities, which as far as I'm concerned is a must have item for towing heavy.

06 and newer have the 6 speed Allison, which has manual shift mode, via a button on the shift lever, which works once you drop the lever to "M" mode.

I have an 2015 with the 6 speed, and had a 04.5 with the 5 speed towed for 100K miles with it. Personally, when towing either is fine. 5 speed has manual shift capabilities, just need to use the shift lever, 6 speed just goes to a tap shift.

In 95+% of the time, using tow/haul does fine. In fact, I actually in prefer the 5 speed overdrive lockout vs. the 6 speed tapshift. to drop out of 5th to 4th, just push the tow/haul button and hold it and it drops out of overdrive. Push again and back to overdrive.

No such thing on the 6 speed. you have to move the shift lever from drive down to M and then tap to 5, 4 or whatever.

If your looking for a used duramax, IMHO don't make the 5 or 6 speed a decision changer, either is fine.

6 speed does have a advantage if you do a lot of unloaded highway driving with the extra gear.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:

On my '05 I don't miss the 6-speed when towing. 2000 rpms at 62mph in 5th (O/D) works for me.
But I DO miss the extra O/D when NOT towing. Engine is turning 2400 rpms at 75 mph.
Manual shift IS available via O/D lockout and manual gear selection with the shift lever, but not as convenient as the paddles.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I'd have a hard time spening that much for a truck with that many miles, but maybe that's just me. I wanted a diesel but I couldn't find one for a price I thought was worth it relative to just buying new (other than a 6.0/6.4 Ford, which I didn't want to deal with).
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer

Bob

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Some 05s had temp problems. Get you an 06 LBZ motor bullet proof.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
our 04.5 LLY turned 125Kmiles and now our son has it. only non normal maint cost was two front wheel bearing assemblies. still tight as new, not rattles, no squeaks.

Compared to our new 2015 Denali, yes the 15 is quiter, nicer riding etc. but power wise, there really isn't as big a difference as you might think. 6 speed does help on mileage when empty but not when towing best I can tell.

we towed 10K + lbs all over the west in some pretty hot weather. never got hot, although you know it when the fan kicks in. More than I'd have liked it to, but never came close to overheating. I suppose if you stuffed your foot into it to see how fast above the speed limit you could pull a long steep grade it might overheat, but not at reasonable speeds or loads.

allison is a sweet transmission, easy to change fluid on, grade brake is nice.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!