cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kayaks carried vertically with a TC

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I've asked this question before: how do those who haul kayaks do so? Most haul them on the TC roof, of course.

I just discovered a vertical kayak rack that mounts in a receiver hitch. Looks like it's mostly for MH rather than TCs.

Anyone ever use this method for a TC?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires
14 REPLIES 14

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Actually hoisting my kayak to the roof by lanyard is a piece of cake as long as the jacks are down so the TC doesnt sway. It takes me perhaps a minute to lift them bow first from flat on the ground to laying flat on the roof rack. 60 pounds is next to nothing fo me to lift.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
wintersun wrote:
The RV Kayak company makes one rack that will work with a truck camper with a rear entry and it works as it has a swing away mechanism. It will support 2 kayaks along with 2 bicycles so it is a complete solution. No need to climb up on the roof to haul up a 70 lb. kayak or to have a bike rack in front of the radiator.

DOT regulations provide for vehicle maximum heights of 14'6" so that is affects the height of a camper or anything on the roof of that camper. My camper on the truck has its top at 11'6" and the top of the AC cowl is at 12' 6". My EVDO antenna goes up to 14' above the ground when it is vertical.

A vertical kayak rack that is going to place the end of the kayak closest to the ground at a height of 18 inches can have a kayak with a length of up to 13 feet and the top will be at the 14'6" maximum. To be conservative one would use only kayaks with a length of 12' and have 12 inches to spare.

Both the RV Kayaks rack and a trailer can provide the means to carry both a couple of kayaks/canoes along with a couple of bicycles. My Yakima trailer its cross bars 27" above the ground. The cross bars on my truck which also has kayak saddles are84" (7 full feet) off the ground. Needless to say it is one hell of a lot easier for me to put our two 71 lb. kayaks on the trailer than on the roof rack.

The 7 foot height of the truck cap mounted rack is my outer limit for hauling our kayaks around for fun. Hoisting them up to put them on a rack that is 11 feet off the ground seems far from being fun or even sane.

Federal regs for height clearance are 13' 6"...anything less that that MUST be marked.
Would love to see a pic of your rig with yaks loaded...thanx.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The RV Kayak company makes one rack that will work with a truck camper with a rear entry and it works as it has a swing away mechanism. It will support 2 kayaks along with 2 bicycles so it is a complete solution. No need to climb up on the roof to haul up a 70 lb. kayak or to have a bike rack in front of the radiator.

DOT regulations provide for vehicle maximum heights of 14'6" so that is affects the height of a camper or anything on the roof of that camper. My camper on the truck has its top at 11'6" and the top of the AC cowl is at 12' 6". My EVDO antenna goes up to 14' above the ground when it is vertical.

A vertical kayak rack that is going to place the end of the kayak closest to the ground at a height of 18 inches can have a kayak with a length of up to 13 feet and the top will be at the 14'6" maximum. To be conservative one would use only kayaks with a length of 12' and have 12 inches to spare.

Both the RV Kayaks rack and a trailer can provide the means to carry both a couple of kayaks/canoes along with a couple of bicycles. My Yakima trailer its cross bars 27" above the ground. The cross bars on my truck which also has kayak saddles are84" (7 full feet) off the ground. Needless to say it is one hell of a lot easier for me to put our two 71 lb. kayaks on the trailer than on the roof rack.

The 7 foot height of the truck cap mounted rack is my outer limit for hauling our kayaks around for fun. Hoisting them up to put them on a rack that is 11 feet off the ground seems far from being fun or even sane.

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I always thought the roof rack for the truck for the TTs and even the 5er was a neat idea

Roy Ken

That's neat! I've been trying to figure out a front receiver for my 2006 F250 but I don't like the options. There's only one really, and it puts the receiver right about where your license plate is, which is too high for my tastes. My older 2000 F350 had one that was lower like yours. So for now, we just rent. I guess it may be best for us, seems like less hassle than traveling with them. But then I see all of you are fine with it...
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
I modified a jet ski trailer to carry the 12'ers.

I've carried my 8'er vertically. I mounted a Yakima upright kayak stacker to the ladder. The bottom of the yak rested on a mini porch. Even then I was probably 11' to the top of the yak.

'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
We can do that when we have the AirStream...but not with the TC!
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I always thought the roof rack for the truck for the TTs and even the 5er was a neat idea

Roy Ken

Roy, I wish I had the room to do that.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721 wrote:
I wouldn't want to travel without my Kayaks. I carry them in my motorcycle trailer. I had originally planned on placing them on top of my motorcycle trailer, but I soon loaded the roof with solar panels.

On top of my Truck Camper was never contemplated, as I am already 12'6" at the top of my A/C shroud and I also have solar panels up there too.

In my travels, I see vertically stored kayaks often. So it is something many are able to pull off. I still prescribed to the fact, the easier you have something stored, the more often you will use it. When I carried my kayaks on top of my Subaru Outback, it was a piece of cake. It would be a challenge for me to carry something on top of my Truck Camper, no matter what height it was. But if it came down to leaving them at home, they would go on top of the camper!

Have fun and wear your PFD, always!

b

That's where I am now. We want them along but if I put them on top of the camper, being a pop-up, they will have to come down every time before we crank the top up. And....while on the top, one kayak will block the vents from opening while the other will shade the solar panel.

I don't want to tow a trailer but I'm thinking it might be the best option after all.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't want to travel without my Kayaks. I carry them in my motorcycle trailer. I had originally planned on placing them on top of my motorcycle trailer, but I soon loaded the roof with solar panels.

On top of my Truck Camper was never contemplated, as I am already 12'6" at the top of my A/C shroud and I also have solar panels up there too.

In my travels, I see vertically stored kayaks often. So it is something many are able to pull off. I still prescribed to the fact, the easier you have something stored, the more often you will use it. When I carried my kayaks on top of my Subaru Outback, it was a piece of cake. It would be a challenge for me to carry something on top of my Truck Camper, no matter what height it was. But if it came down to leaving them at home, they would go on top of the camper!

Have fun and wear your PFD, always!

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like the idea for bikes. Thanks for sharing. I will look into this further.
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are 10' and 12'.

The whole idea seems just wrong to me. I think the roof is the best choice.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
with 4x4 and the length of my kayaks I probably would not be able to use a lot of gas stations and would really have to pay attention to tree branches and overpasses. I would rather stick to this or buy a trailer.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would say it depends on how long your boats are.
We have;
(2) 12'ers
(1) 16'er
(1) 17'er

Any of these would stick up way beyond our roof line...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella