cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kimbo TC

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone here having one of these truck campers?
I Would like to hear from owners experience

https://www.kimboliving.com/

Thnx
20 REPLIES 20

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Video Tour.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
I think they are geared to the weekender crowd. Adventurous people who want to get away from the rat-race and find some peace and quiet. At 59 years old and doing just that for 5 decades I can relate to the life. With that said the drive to get out of the rat race can be a very long one for some NOT ALL. Dad used to drive from queens NY to Jones beach on Friday night with our pop up and it took 4 to 5 hours in the rush hour traffic. When we got there so did another 50000 people doing exactly the same thing. Grandma got a place in liberty NY when grampa died and on Friday night sometimes not all the time it would take a very long time to get to her house. I'm not taking a side in this but I wouldn't do what I just described for all the money in the world for a day or two. It's just to time consuming. People like me go for a week or two and incorporate the adventure into our full size TC. My stomping ground is Key Largo from where I live in Debary Florida. 7-8 hours with the camper and 8-10 with the boat in tow. That's a heck of a drive to get away and I can simply not see doing it in a Kimbo.... But I'm 59... And I have to use the bathroom way more than I used too. LOL When I get there setting up camp doesn't have to happen until tomorrow cause it's already set up inside my huge Lance 1181 and my huge gas hog dually. Not being snarky, don't get me wrong. If I was in my 20's I could see it.
Joe

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
jimh425 wrote:
noteven wrote:
But it doesn't require a dooley to haul it's fat lard ass around and you could brush it up against a branch without causing $10K in damage.

You say that like you know what everyone needs or wants. You are doing it wrong if you are doing $10K worth of damage when you brush up against a branch with anything.

Iโ€™m pretty sure those with the largest TCs didnโ€™t buy them to run into branches. Most probably drive well enough to prevent that from happening. ๐Ÿ˜„

:D:D

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
noteven wrote:
But it doesn't require a dooley to haul it's fat lard ass around and you could brush it up against a branch without causing $10K in damage.

You say that like you know what everyone needs or wants. You are doing it wrong if you are doing $10K worth of damage when you brush up against a branch with anything.

Iโ€™m pretty sure those with the largest TCs didnโ€™t buy them to run into branches. Most probably drive well enough to prevent that from happening. ๐Ÿ˜„

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

Shirley that counts for sumpin...

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The biggest problem these small start-ups have is convincing customers that they should pay more for less. This usually dooms them to failure, because for the same money people can buy a TC with all the creature comforts.

It may be built better. It may last forever. Most people don't consider that in their purchase, and even folks looking for more basic campers will pass units like this one over for a fully-appointed TC, based on what features you get for the money.

The only way for an endeavor like this to work is if they can price the camper accordingly. You should not be able to buy a brand new Lance for what this little box costs. You should be able to buy TWO of these little boxes for what even the most basic Lance will set you back.

Having a dealer network with campers on the lot within a few hours' drive of the vast majority of the TC market would go a long way. People don't like spending money on vaporware. They want to buy it, load it on their truck, and go home.

Obviously that would be a huge outlay, and not within the means of most startup outfits like this. That leaves them most likely doomed to failure...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you R40 insulated a compact camper you might have a time finding a heater small enough...

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
silversand wrote:
Biltex wrote:
Thatโ€™s funny! I remember they had a rally a few years back and got some rain

....that must have been the Expo West! You seem to know quite a bit about it; I assume then that you were a witness and in attendance?

The 2014 Expo East (the 1st east expo) biblical deluge was much worse; have a read here (no one went to any stinkin' hotel, I was actually present at that Expo): read-->

No, did not attend. We camp to get away from crowds.
I am capable of reading the reports/posts about the events. Definitely not for us.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Biltex wrote:
Thatโ€™s funny! I remember they had a rally a few years back and got some rain

....that must have been the Expo West! You seem to know quite a bit about it; I assume then that you were a witness and in attendance?

The 2014 Expo East (the 1st east expo) biblical deluge was much worse; have a read here (no one went to any stinkin' hotel, I was actually present at that Expo): read-->
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
billtex wrote:
silversand wrote:
The only truck camper cohort likely to buy something like this are global expeditioners (who frequent Expedition Portal).

Thatโ€™s funny! I remember they had a rally a few years back and got some rain. All the local hotels filled up because they didnโ€™t want to get their uni-mogs dirty by actually camping in them.
Bunch of guys in funny hats and pressed trousers.

LOL

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
silversand wrote:
The only truck camper cohort likely to buy something like this are global expeditioners (who frequent Expedition Portal).

Thatโ€™s funny! I remember they had a rally a few years back and got some rain. All the local hotels filled up because they didnโ€™t want to get their uni-mogs dirty by actually camping in them.
Bunch of guys in funny hats and pressed trousers.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....these genre of truck campers are made onesies and twosies. Custom.
Not many out there.

The only truck camper cohort likely to buy something like this are global expeditioners (who frequent Expedition Portal). In fact, I have seen several of these Kimbo units for sale on the used market in the US. They sell in the $19,000 USD range used....

At my last count, there were 11 exotic expedition truck camper manufacturers making specialized units in the USA (my last count was ~4 months ago)....
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Unusual that's for sure but to each there own. I have never boon docked so I can't say what I would be interested in as far as the camper I would have. I never liked the pop ups because I came face to face with a bear many years ago and the popup would be like paper for a creature like that. But a hard side would get my attention. When I look at something like this I ask myself why would anyone want this? A camper is just that a camper. Toilet, hot water, comfortable sitting and sleeping as well as a place to have conversation out of the rain and I suppose cooking would be on that list as well. Of course I'm not judging because obviously a fellow who is interested in something like this will look at this post and think I'm as crazy as I think he is. Again, to each his own and I'm just commenting on the topic nothing intended. It is interesting!!!

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not impressed at all.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires