cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lance Camper charging system

SS_Sean
Explorer
Explorer
Ive got a 2008 lance 1181. When I plug the camper to shore power over the winter does that trickle charge the batteries and keep them topped off for the winter? I killed two deep cycle batteries over last winter and spring by not attending to them. I got so busy with work and a move across state some of my maintenance suffered. I want to ensure this next pair will live a happy long life...
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ LBCC DRW
2008 Lance 1181
2021 Thunder Jet Alexis Pro 22.
13 REPLIES 13

flakjacket
Explorer
Explorer
SS_Sean wrote:
I looked in the owners manual and all over in the camper and can't even find the **** thing...

Assuming your 1181 has the original converter, it is a PD9245.
It's located under the step to the cabover bed.
2005 Silverado 3500 LT, CC DRW 4WD D/A, Ride-Rites, Rancho 9000, Supersprings, Line-X, XM Radio
2007 Lance 1181, Fastguns

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
When manual can give you some pointers, I would still put voltmeter on your system as too many variables.
Newer, better converters are wired parallel to battery and have maintaining mode. Older would switch over most of camper to converter power, leaving only radio and electronic stuff on battery + small charging circuit.
Those usually have fast-charging voltage and left for longer time will boil the battery dry.
So maintaining voltage for led-acid battery is 13.5V.
Any higher than that will shorten battery life.
Also calibrate the meters as in my camper- digital meter shows 0.3v higher than handheld meter.

SS_Sean
Explorer
Explorer
I looked in the owners manual and all over in the camper and can't even find the **** thing...
2008 Lance 1181

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
In my Lance,I leave it plugged in 24/7 and every once in a while,I go to the systems monitor to check the battery to make sure it's charged /charging and not disconnected..The monitor will show full..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my conversion in no-power storage, I would just pull the clamps on batteries for winter storage. Even attached cables with some humidity will create small current leak.
The engine batteries do like recharge every 6 months, so I would take them home, but golf-cart batteries hold good charge even after 10 months.
Than the batteries from seasonal vehicles usually end along garage wall and hooked up to battery maintainers.
Even with current price at $9, there is no excuse not to have them.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
garym114 wrote:
Another option is to charge them fully, then disconnect the ground cable. There will be zero battery load and they will not freeze. No worries about water levels or overcharging.
Stored my MH and toad in Anchorage like this for four winters, eight batteries total with no problems.

+1 Do that with farm tractors. I use a knife switch disconnect on the NEGATIVE post. Sit all winter in an unheated barn. No issue. Parasitic loss on a flooded cell with no load is about 3% a month.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

garym114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another option is to charge them fully, then disconnect the ground cable. There will be zero battery load and they will not freeze. No worries about water levels or overcharging.
Stored my MH and toad in Anchorage like this for four winters, eight batteries total with no problems.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

ardvark
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
The technology those days change on weekly bases, so unless you post what kind of converter you have as suggested, we can only guess.
My 2002 Lance converter charges at 14.5 V, what on long run will boil battery dry.
If I leave battery in the camper, I charge it for a day every 2 months and then switch it off.

Given that converters also have a limited lifespan this is an excellent strategy if the camper is going to sit for a prolonged period of time. 🙂

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The technology those days change on weekly bases, so unless you post what kind of converter you have as suggested, we can only guess.
My 2002 Lance converter charges at 14.5 V, what on long run will boil battery dry.
If I leave battery in the camper, I charge it for a day every 2 months and then switch it off.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have AGMs in my 2008 Lance 1055 they have been there since 2010. Plugged into a shore line when at home, solar on the road. You should be fine unless you are using wet cells and you don't maintain the water level.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
OK so post the converter model number and measure the battery voltage for best answers.
Otherwise in general you can leave the camper plugged in 24/7 and the battery will be maintained just fine.

SS_Sean
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Yes. I know i can put them on my battery tenders but sasnt sure if the camper actually had a trickle charger. Yes, they were only 2 years old. I fried them y not paying attention. I ended up working 874 hours of o.t. if you can believe it. Lol...
2008 Lance 1181

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, if you are plugged in, the batteries should stay charged. You can also remove the batteries and maintain them with a battery tender or similar. Also, keep in mind that batteries don’t last forever.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member