cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lance Camper purchase hard choice

TCdude
Explorer
Explorer
I've decided to up what I'm willing to spend on my TC and get something a little nicer. It's seem worth spending a little more and getting the Lance over the cheaper rubber roof older TCs.
Currently the head to head is between a fully loaded (basically all options) 03 Lance 1130 solid side Vs a 02 Lance 1121 Slide out with most options. Both are relatively the same price.

Contender 1
2003 Lance 1130, Convenience package, winter package, interior package, stereo, TV/DVD, carpet kit, two awnings, Fastguns, Drybath, generator, cab over struts,no oven, immaculately cared for 1 owner

Vs

Contender 2
2002 Lance 1121 Slide out (just dinette), winter package, stereo, no tv, 1 awning, oven, no generator, dry batch, no cab over struts, no fastguns, Well cared for multi-owner and just serviced for spring.

I am in MN and both have winter packages. I've heard the earlier model slide outs leak a bit and that concerns me a little bit (should it?). Anyone had issues with slide out motor failure? The additional 500lb slide puts me very close to my GVWR fully loaded but the additional space is appealing.

Does anyone have comments/stories or anything that will push me one way or the other on these two models?

Any suggestions on better quality campers of this era around the same price range of 10-14k.
02 GMC 3500 Auto DRW RWD 4.10
2003 Lance 1130 - ROTTEN and Gone
1997 Bigfoot 10.6
8 REPLIES 8

TCdude
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed! Awesome layout but one heavy pig of a TC. The with options manufacturers dry weight was 3782 lbs. I will be bringing it to the scale next week to see the ACTUAL weight.
1997 Bigfoot 10.6

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
the 1130 was the predecessor of the 1055 which I have. Loaded the camper weighs 4000+ so weigh your rig and make sure the tires and rims are up to the task. I switched to 19.5s just for that reason. check behind the dump valves, my 1055 had an open passage under the shower pan that let in the cold. I filled that space with fiberglass insulation. I love the layout of that camper.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

TCdude
Explorer
Explorer
Well I went out a looked at both today along with a couple non-lances from the mid to late 90s. In the end I chose the 1130, it was in amazing shape, it was extremely well taken care of, had ever option and package minus the oven and the owner was willing to come down on the price a little because he knew it was going to a good home. He threw in a ton of extras as well that will save me additional money like a complete happijac system, umbilical connection, hoses, electrical cords, elbow and water pressure regulator, among other things. In the end, I ended up spending a lot more money than I had initially planned when I didn't know anything about truck campers,but after doing all the research and soul searching I'm so glad I chose the Lance 1130.

Now to change my signature! Thanks everyone for your input.
1997 Bigfoot 10.6

Mike_Tassinari
Explorer
Explorer
Hi TCdude

I have owned a 2001 Lance 1121 and sold it last year(April of 2014)when I pulled the trigger on a 2014 Lance 1172. There is not a single system on that 1121 that I do not know about and its a fine Camper.
There is NO problem with the slide mechanism/slide motor/nor is there any problem with the slide room itself.
The problem was with the main wall wood frame structure that supported the booth style slide/out room. In a nutshell there was not enough frame support in the main wall - underneath the slide/out room on the main wall.
There is an easy way to see if it was repaired properly as all you need to do is look from inside the T/C,,, underneath the slide/out room and see if there is a thick metal brace that goes the entire length of the floor and up the left and right side walls about 15 inches or so.
Lance Cal. did mine and replace the entire main wall as well at no charge to me.
In the 12 plus years I owned that T/C, yearly caulking and general maintenance kept my 1121 in great shape. I had one other major issue but that was because I had a terrible accident at work in 2006 and was out of camping for quite some time and a seam open up on the driver side nose resulting in water intrusion. $5500.00 later all was repaired and my Lance 1121 gave me great service.
Mike Tassinari AKA Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
2002 Ford-4x4-Extended Cab-Dually-Lariet-Powerstroke Diesel--4.10 gears--Ranchero Adjustable Shocks-55 Gallon Extended Fuel Tank--4 Extra Main Leaf Springs-1 Extra Helper Spring..Independant Second Altinator(100AMP)to Charge MY Twin 275 AH. Deep Cycle Battery Bank tucked under the truck bed....

2001 Lance-11&1/2 Ft.-Model 1121/slide/out with all the Toys&2000 Watt Inverter

stuckinthesand
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2004 Lance and I was way more impressed with the overall quality and construction than I am with my current 2014 Lance.

HarryBB
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 1121 and never had issues with slide. It's a great camper. But it is all wood frame. If you don't keep after the calking you will likely experience some issues.

You are in MN. If you want to take a look and you are close to twin cities let me know.
'03 F350 CC 6.0PSD DRW Firestone Bags Superhitch
2003 Lance 1121 Fully Loaded incl. Solar
'94 Grand Touring SkiDoo, '95 Touring SLE SkiDoo
16 ft Northwood Troller
Crestliner Serenity 1800

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I once had an opportunity to buy an 1121 for $7,500. It had received extensive repairs by a dealer. In looking it over it still had issues with the slide even after the repairs. I walked away. Further research latter on the 1121 proved to me that I didn't want one because of the slide issues.
I'd get the 1130.
Other campers? I've got an '03 Fleetwood Elkhorn 11X. It's a side entry with no slides. It's been an excellent camper so far.

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
The 1121 had many issues with the slide..
No personal experience with the 1121 but I know of a few friends that had issues..
The 1130 is s great camper and have been a strong long lasting unit.
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT