cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Large family tow vehicle

Markl_n
Explorer
Explorer
We are a family of 8 and cannot stay within the gvw of our 07 expedition with hd tow package. Any advice for large families. Does anyone take two vehicles when the travel, one for towing the other for family? currently looking at 3/4 ton suburban, or an Excursion. Looking at our first TT, a Jayco 284bhsw, 6000lb dry with a 710lb hitch weight. I'm new to all this, and i'm just looking for a tow vehicle that can hopefully fit my family, and safely get us down the road not feeling underpowered. We are a family that loves to travel, and loves the mountains. Just interested in doing it from a campsite, and not a Marriott. Thanks
38 REPLIES 38

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
The main problem with Expedition will be that by the time you load all the people and stuff into it, tounge weight will easily push you over rear axle weight or GVWR of expedition.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Ford has not made a cargo/passenger van based on the E-series chassis for several years.

2014 was the last year. Still plenty of like-new used vans coming off lease, but it is getting very hard to find V10s.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Markl_n wrote:
We are a family of 8 and cannot stay within the gvw of our 07 expedition with hd tow package.

My daughter has a '12 Expedition EL. We frequently use it to haul 4 adults and 4 kids (under 8 years old), fairly comfortably.

Properly equipped, a 2017 Expedition EL will tow 9,200 lbs with GCWR of 15,000 lbs.

I suspect the 2018, with the aluminum body, will bump both of those numbers.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Ford has not made a cargo/passenger van based on the E-series chassis for several years.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a 2500 Yukon XL with the 8.1, a 2500HD with 6.0 gas, and now my Express 3500 with 6.0. With the exception of the others had 4wd, I love my Express. I went with a 12 passenger, as it was shorter than the HD truck, and I thought one of my teenagers were going to be driving it as their designated driver. I love the space, gets much better fuel mileage than either of the others, and tows my trailer in Michigan perfectly fine.

As a suggestion, you can find them Certified Used on dealer lots, or use the gmfactorypreownedcollection.com to find 2016's for under $24k with less than 15k miles.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question about taking two vehicles - we do. Not for people space but towing capacity. When we take our boat, one of us tows it with a Yukon XL, the other tows the 5er.

Unless your kids are older and able to start driving themselves, two vehicles is a pain. I don't like the full size vans, but I would take that over two vehicles.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

PershingD
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the van...
David Pershing
Gayle-DW
Alex-DS
Jesse-DS
Nikki-DD
Justin - DS

1997 Dodge Ram 3500 8.0L V-10
2017 Zinger 27RL

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on my 3rd van; love that interior lockable space; Currently have a 12
passenger 3500 Chevy; Tows like a dream, is comfortable for a full day of driving, gets 11 mpg towing a 24ft TT and 17mpg when not towing.

Useful for the Home Depot runs
Gerry

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
The extended E350 vans gain you another 500-900 pounds of GVWR, with much stiffer rear springs, so I've found they tow better than the regular length E350s.

As for the Transit.... Its a nice van but has a low GCWR, which limits Wagons to trailers more in the 4-6,000# range. Or less if its a fully loaded extended long-wheelbase, tall roof model.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford Transits come in a 15 passenger 1 ton setup, also available in a long wheel base. Don't know the exact payload/towing capacity but it is a capable chassis. Worth a look.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
DownTheAvenue wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
I'd get the 12 passenger in the Ford due to the longer rear overhang . The overhang on the Chevy is the same in the 12 or 15 passenger version.

Wouldn't the longer wheelbase of the Chevy make for a more stable vehicle towing than the longer rear overhang of the Ford?

I don't think I was clear. I was not trying to compare the GM to the Ford. I was trying to say if I were buying a Ford I would try to get a 12 passenger due to the shorter rear overhang. IIRC the wheelbase on the Ford is the same in the 12 passenger and the 15 passenger. On the Chevy van the wheel base actually changes and the rear overhang is the same. So there is some benefit to the 15 passenger version of the Express. But the 12 or 15 passenger E350 is fully capable of pulling a travel trailer. With the right Motor and hitch set up.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

blt2ski
DownTheAvenue wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
I'd get the 12 passenger in the Ford due to the longer rear overhang . The overhang on the Chevy is the same in the 12 or 15 passenger version.

Wouldn't the longer wheelbase of the Chevy make for a more stable vehicle towing than the longer rear overhang of the Ford?

Jerome did not say.that all, but he IS recommending ONLY the 12 passenger Ford due to.the shorter overhang vs the 15 passenger having an equal WB to the 12 passenger. With that said, one can make either Ford van a safe and sane tow rig. The 15 passenger takes a bit more patience.
The GM AND Sprinter vans have a longer WB in the 15 passenger versions. Other brands may too.
Sprinters, not too clear by my last post, have 4we options from the 1500 up to 3500 models in both SW and DW options. While lower in HP, this could be an.advantage to some people. Yes slower on hwy, but if off-road or in a slime traction situation, it should get to end place, vs others may get to sticky place quicker, they do not get to end destination! Tortoise vs hair race.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Latest 3/4 ton SUV is 2013 model year, 5 years old. Much better value for utility/capability is a used 1-ton van. I recommend the 2010+ GM vans with 6.0L and 6-spd trans. The Nissan NV is good for larger families towing as well.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would also suggest a 1 ton van for 8 people, the kids are only going to get bigger. This would allow for tongue weight as well. While a Excursion or 2500 series Burb will work there 7 passenger and buy the time loaded you would not have as much capacity for tongue weight.