cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

last trip of the year. ....hard to believe. ..

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Well, my family just came back from our last weekend camping trip of the season yesterday. My BIL and his family also got a site 2 down from us. We had a great time, but it sure was hard to pack up the rig yesterday afternoon and head home knowing that is the last trip of the year. As i get older it becomes harder to do all the set up, Tear down, packing, loading and unloading, but it's so worth all the effort it takes to get my family out camping and enjoying nature.

My 8yr old son was on the verge of tears this morning before school because he said he'd miss his mommy too much today.

I don't think there's a better example of the impact of camping and the quality family time that comes with it, is having on my kids.

I hope when they get older i will still be healthy enough to go camping (and be able to do all the work) with their families. I hope I'm instilling the tradition of camping in them the way my dad and mom did for me when i was younger.

Just figured I'd share. I'm going to winterize this week. That will be hard also! (Emotionally, for me, not the actual work) If you all have any trips left this year, I hope they are great and memories are made. That's what it's all about

-G
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.
26 REPLIES 26

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
We got in one last three-nite trip in this past weekend, and had a great time.

When we returned I got the whole TT unpacked, stowed and winterized in less than an hour. I was amazed how everything went so smooth, and it was the first time I did this end-of-season work when it wasn't freezing out! Which is probably why it took less than an hour.... 😉
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
silverfz wrote:
I was not able to do our usual last camping trips these year due to work, My 8 yr old daughter told me she misses camping. My son who is 4 was upset too. My DW loves to camp and this is truly brings the family together. During the rest of the year we are so busy and spend time in our own space at home. Camping is such a family thing .

personally double whammy as I put my motorcycles away ! . talk about about depressing.

This is how we feel about camping. My two boys are 8 and 11. I had to cancel a long weekendv trip the first weekend in October because we had the remnants of a tropical storm pass through. The weekend was a total washout. We were all totally bummed out to say the least. My vacation time resets in the beginning of October so i have to save my days off for Christmas and then spring and summer. As such i can't leave work early enough to get to the cg before dark on Friday, which makes going a lot tougher for us.

As I anticipated this time change has me all fouled up. It's 0359 and I've been up for an hour already.. can't sleep ?? hopefully y'all ate not as affect4 by this as i am.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not to worry, the way time is flying by so quickly, spring will be here pretty quick. 😞

For west coasters, the predicted upcoming el nino for the 2015/16 winter plus climate change will cause much of the west coast to be above average to much above average temperature. I wouldn't rush to winterize yet. We have had much milder weather here in Oct. than normal and are still thinking of camping in Nov. which would be the first time yet.

Went camping last weekend at the CG we go to a lot that has about 300 sites. It was almost a ghost town despite warm sunny weather. A couple of sections were barriered off and full of RVs stored for the winter. Such a contrast from the summer when it's 100% full plus more in the dry camping overflow section. Actually drove through the Thousand Trails CG nearby to check it out first and only saw a couple of humans and one dog. Strange feeling to see that.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
It has been so warm this fall that I am considering a late fall camping trip. I have already winterized the TT but, I have a porti-poti I can use in the bathroom and then I would just use bottled water for everything else.

Winterizing does not have to be the end of camping season.

DITTO! we've made plans for the next 2 weekends after Halloween. Port-a-potty and bottled water.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
It has been so warm this fall that I am considering a late fall camping trip. I have already winterized the TT but, I have a porti-poti I can use in the bathroom and then I would just use bottled water for everything else.

Winterizing does not have to be the end of camping season.

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
I was not able to do our usual last camping trips these year due to work, My 8 yr old daughter told me she misses camping. My son who is 4 was upset too. My DW loves to camp and this is truly brings the family together. During the rest of the year we are so busy and spend time in our own space at home. Camping is such a family thing .

personally double whammy as I put my motorcycles away ! . talk about about depressing.
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, such is life in the northeast. After this coming Sunday (and the clocks go back) the official start of "the pits" season will be upon us. Sure, i love thanksgiving and Christmas, but man that time period between 11/1 and 12/21 sure is dark. Short days, long nights. I'm always glad when we're past the shortest day of the year, daylight wise.

RamRider
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, this is sad news, we usually do not camp in July and August (Heat) and the month of January + the first two weeks of February (cold) October, November, February, March and April are out favorite month to head out. Sorry to hear that so many folks are unable to head all winter, You should head to Texas for a couple of weeks in the winter to get away from the cold and snow!

We do winterize in late December and January.
2014 Airstream 25FB
2016 Ram
Blue Ox Sway Pro
ARE Topper

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
First month of my usual 6 months in Mexico in my RV. I have heard rumours that some people still have to work for a living. Bummer.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I had my last family trip of the year last weekend.

Quality time with my daughters ,aged 3 and 7, during single father life. We went to Otter Lake Camping Resort for the annual Halloween Weekend event. The kids have adjustsed well to the divorce and decision to continue to camp is working wonders on the situation.

Ill have solo and group hunting trips in Nov/Dec sans water but full heat!
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbypatty wrote:

But it makes me yearn for more....and its always a good time whether we are 7 miles or hundreds of miles away.

Away.....

I couldn't agree more with this statement. We are very fortunate to live very close to a beautiful state park. It's great and makes weekend trips easier. But is so true, I enjoy going to the close by state park and when we venture further out too.. it's all good stuff.

I did winterize last night ?? that was hard knowing that's it till may. The past 2 yrs I've not gotten out till July due to our very busy weekend schedule, but I'm hoping to change that in 2016. Now i just need to check the roof seams and recalk as necessary and then park it on its pad till spring. With how my life has been over the past 10 yrs it'll be here before we know it!

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
I saw you camped at the Jersey shore-- Have you ever tried Holly Shores in Rio Grande near Cape May? It is a 5 star resort.. Have camped there for over 30 years.. named best in the state of NJ a few years ago!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Circumstances dictate our time and the last few years we haven't been able to get out much. Then we bought a new to us TT and the last two years we've been out more. Last year was 21 nights. This year was 26 nights. It seems we just get in the groove then the temps drop. Oh living in the Northeast. I haven't blown it out yet so maybe a couple more nights. We shall see.

But it makes me yearn for more....and its always a good time whether we are 7 miles or hundreds of miles away.

Away.....
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
You are right in how disappointing it is to have to winterize each fall. I will have to do that in November myself. As someone else suggested, maybe help yourself get through winter by spending time planning your next season.

I am fortunate in that I do camp through the winter with DS as long as the temps don't go below 25 or so. DW and I have one more trip planned, just the two of us, and then she will be done after winterizing, but we will continue to camp.

We use the toilet for #1 only by pouring water in the toilet. I keep the plumbing winterized. Flushing is easy at home using a 5 gal. bucket. It takes extra antifreeze to get through the winter this way, but it is worth it to me. Those few one-nighters help me get through the dreary months.