cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legal to tow in freeway left lane?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I often tow our TT in the left lane on a multi-lane freeway (3 or more lans) when the traffic in the right lanes is just way too slow or there are a lot of drivers changing lanes in congested areas. I do however, stay in the right lane whenever possible unless passing a vehicle, temporarily moving left at on-ramps or if the traffic flow gets above 65 mph. If driving through or around Seattle for example, by far the fastest route is the staying in the very left hand lane.

This is Washington State law (from a few years ago):

No vehicle towing a trailer, or no vehicle or combination over 10,000 lbs. may be driven in the left-hand lane of a limited-access roadway having three or more lanes for traffic moving in one direction, except when preparing for a left turn.

Am I running the risk of being ticketed or do the LEOs simply turn a blind eye? Is this common around the US or just in some states?
47 REPLIES 47

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
In California you are limited to the two right hand lanes on say, a 4 or 5 lane freeway. I don't think it's very strictly enforced if you are only in a prohibited lane for a short distance and then move to the right, which I've done often and never had a problem. The CHP might write you a ticket if you're just cruising along in one of the left hand lanes for some distance.

You're also limited to 55 mph in California when towing, and again, not strictly enforced. I always go 62-63 mph and never had a problem in over 10 years. A buddy is a CHP officer and he told me he does not enforce the 55 mph rule so long as the the RV is going with the flow of traffic.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Quick_trip
Explorer
Explorer
Towing in Ca. Is right hand land on all highways be it two lanes or six!
Use the second lane from the right to pass......
If you go over to the far left lane or HOV LANES YOU JUST BROKE THE LAW GETTING THERE!
If the cops see you, they will stop you and give you a BIG ticket worth big bucks to Ca.
Good Luck & Drive Safe!

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Jaxom wrote:
westend wrote:
Stay out of the Monfort, it is for passing only.

Monfort!?!? I wonder how many folks know of that reference?

Why would a bunch of RVers know a truckers tale? Most only know modern, insurance driven, restricted trucks that get in the way because the governor gives them 70 at the top. They never saw me doing 85+ across the double-nickle states.

Sluggo54
Explorer
Explorer
Jaxom wrote:
westend wrote:
Stay out of the Monfort, it is for passing only.

Monfort!?!? I wonder how many folks know of that reference?

Living in the same time zone as Greeley, I do!
DH = Bruce, DW = PK, DD = Maggie (Lab, Pointer, Viszla)RIP 4/13/2007
Apprentice Princess = Kaia Grace (Kelpie, RIP 8/4/2016) DD = Zoey, Carolina Dog
TV = 2005 Chev CC LWB Max & Allie SOLD
5'er = 2005 Excel R30CKW DEAL PENDING

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many of the roads we travel on don't even have a center line..:E:E....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ride the middle lane on a three lane because there is too much commotion in the right lane with merges and exits etc. I have never been stopped.

If it is illegal in some states and the LEO does not agree with my reasoning, well I guess I will get a ticket.

Just another reason I look for secondary roads.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
I prefer towing in the median (left) lane as it is often smoother and less congested. It also gives the other drivers the opportunity to test our their horns and middle fingers as they pass me on the right and swerve back into the proper passing lane in front of me. What is really fun is to look back and see how close the eighteen wheeler can get to your rear bumper. In other words, if one enjoys being a jerk, tow in the left lane, whether legal or not. Mile after mile.

Thanks for that bit of humor!:B

Although, I think it's some peoples mantra!

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
kearlms wrote:
Years ago in Southern Cal. I was with my uncle while he was towing. There was an accident that blocked the other 3 lanes going our way and the only one open was the left lane. He pulled into it and still got pulled over and chewed out by the CHIPs for being in the left lane with a trailer. Told us we should have gotten off at the previous exit or waiting till the other lanes were open again. He didn't issue a ticket but followed us to the next exit where we got off the freeway.

If your story is accurate, those types of LEO's should get another job. They give the whole dept. a bad name. I don't care what profession you're in, if you can't think(use your head) and use common sense.......geeze.

ddrueckh
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ Now that is just lame. There is something called common sense...I don't think it is always used. If I were a LEO, I would understand the situation and not worry about it.
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 DMax
2000 Jayco QWEST 244B

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago in Southern Cal. I was with my uncle while he was towing. There was an accident that blocked the other 3 lanes going our way and the only one open was the left lane. He pulled into it and still got pulled over and chewed out by the CHIPs for being in the left lane with a trailer. Told us we should have gotten off at the previous exit or waiting till the other lanes were open again. He didn't issue a ticket but followed us to the next exit where we got off the freeway.

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sondy132001 wrote:
the bear II wrote:
In California on a 3 or more lane freeway vehicles towing trailers are restricted to the right two lanes unless otherwise marked (Trucks OK).

This ^^^ Always amazes me when I see idiots driving in the left lane pulling a trailer, how can you own a tow vehicle and trailer and not know the laws ?

I know you meant that specifically for towing, and I agree, but there are a metric ton of laws here I bet hardly anyone knows. And that's just vehicle code. It's not inconceivable that someone would begin towing without thinking to check the vehicle code first.

The majority of people toot along through life never aware of some of the minor traffic laws they violate. The good news is there are so many, most Law Enforcement don't know them all either. We tend to stick to the common ones and the ones that make things dangerous.

Coolerman
Explorer
Explorer
Sondy132001 wrote:

This ^^^ Always amazes me when I see idiots driving in the left lane pulling a trailer, how can you own a tow vehicle and trailer and not know the laws ?

Hmmm... I just looked in my RV owners manual and could find NOTHING about towing in the left lane so it must be OK right? :B I do wonder how some folks got their licenses in the first place...

I'm sure there is an app that could tell you, via your GPS position, what the laws are, but common sense should tell anyone towing to stay right unless passing. Besides your probably on vacation if your towing, so what's the rush?

On a three lane highway, I'm a right laner unless the right lane is super congested, or rough, (I-40 in Arkansas comes to mind), then I move to the middle lane until the traffic clears, or the road conditions improve. I drive slower than most anyways... Also if your in the right lane, that is one less mirror to be constantly checking
Mark Baker aka Coolerman
2016 Venture Sonic 170VBH
SOLD:2001 StarCraft Gemini
TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
In Arizona, it's a free-for-all. You can be driving on a five lane interstate through Phoenix, and see RV's, big rigs, and steering wheel huggers in the "fast" lane.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
"That's why I prefer the law that says, "keep right except to pass".

Yep, it keeps it simple.

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
In Louisiana you will get a ticket. You must stay is right lane.