cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

let's talk generators

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
I've got another thread going concerning solar power. Many of you are proponents of generators. Our unit is also wired for one. Can a Honda gen fit into our compartment? No offense out there, I still think the Onan is loud and annoying (that's the one that the factory would have installed).

I know that I'm asking a lot of different questions, but I want to know the options and be well informed to make the right choice for us. We're pretty self sufficient and run a lot of power. I think the biggest draw besides the jacks is the fridge.

This is the difference with the TC world. The jacks take a lot of power. If it weren't for them, we would have had plenty.

We're always learning something.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7
31 REPLIES 31

motorsports
Explorer
Explorer
Our Adventurer 910FBS was purchased w/o a genny....but with a compartment for one.

We had experience with an on board Onan in a previous camper, and did not enjoy the noise and vibrations.

This time we chose a portable Yamaha 2000 generator. The Honda is a very nice unit also, but I've had great luck with the Yamaha genny's in other situations, so I chose Brand Blue. It will run the A/C in the 910FBS without complaint.

Our truck, being a gasser V10, is used as the extra fuel reservoir (if need be) by accessing the main fuel tank with a simple foot valve style siphon hose. Generators of this size get great fuel "mileage" though, so this is hardly a real issue.

In truth, we very, very rarely use a generator at all. Our camper has all LED lighting, plus I'm using two 6v golf cart batteries (they'll fit in the Adventurer's battery box...barely!). We've gone 4 nights in a row, 2 showers/night & with the heater going on regularly....with no power issues. In fact the only reason we haven't gone longer than that was that the grey tank fills up after 8 showers, so we have to move to dump. Since we're normally boondocking, the drive to a dump station will charge us back up.

But just in case....we do keep the Yamaha 2000 with us.
2000 Ford F350, V10 manual, 4.30's & many mods
2012 Adventurer 910FBS
20' enclosed Pace racecar trailer
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (2dr) w/many mods

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
Put the jacks down while the engine is still running. The alternator will help feed your hungry jack>

That would be great, but our plug isn't long enough when we pull the dually (LB) out. We may think about getting it extended somehow. That may be a simpler fix.
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
Me again,

I mis-spoke...we DON'T run much power. We are conservative with our lights. Our LEDs are the good ones that do handle power fluxes. I rarely use the microwave (I store the toaster and bread in it.) We only use the AC when it's REALLY hot for the dogs. If it's too hot, we don't go. We are not heat lovers.

Of course the fridge is run on propane if elec is not available. A tank usually lasts us a season.

Maybe I shouldn't have 2 threads going, but I'm trying to keep things from getting blurred. These issues are too complicated (to me) to keep straight. Thanks for all the assistance so far.

I can honestly say that without this forum, I wouldn't know where to start.
USAF ret E-9&E-7

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure the two Threads will each get post referring to the other. I think it is best that they be separate, two different subjects, although they relate to each other in some ways.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reddog1 wrote:
narcodog wrote:
So what does the typical 100 watt system cost?
I have not shopped for solar for a while, and the cost of solar does fluctuate quite a bit. When I bought the parts for my 130 watt system in about 2005 or 2006, a good rule of thumb was $5 per watt. I think this is for the panels only. The price is greatly influenced by not only the panels, but the quality of the controller and other components (controller, wire, mounting brackets and related parts). As I recall, my 130 watt system cost me between $800 and $1000. Each system is a little different.

I would like to point out that you can have one or more panels tied together. On a TC, there is very little real estate to locate panels, and sometimes two or more is better than just one panel. I will also point out with one panel, if you lose it (one cell shaded) you have no solar. With two or more, you only loose the one panel. You can add panels later, and can save money if you buy a controller that will accommodate the additions later.

Considering the OP has another Thread on solar, I do not want to hijack this Thread, so I will say no more here about solar.

After I posted this I saw the other thread. Thanks

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
narcodog wrote:
I have not shopped for solar for a while, and the cost of solar does fluctuate quite a bit. When I bought the parts for my 130 watt system in about 2005 or 2006, a good rule of thumb was $5 per watt. I think this is for the panels only. The price is greatly influenced by not only the panels, but the quality of the controller and other components (controller, wire, mounting brackets and related parts). As I recall, my 130 watt system cost me between $800 and $1000. Each system is a little different.

I would like to point out that you can have one or more panels tied together. On a TC, there is very little real estate to locate panels, and sometimes two or more is better than just one panel. I will also point out with one panel, if you lose it (one cell shaded) you have no solar. With two or more, you only loose the one panel. You can add panels later, and can save money if you buy a controller that will accommodate the additions later.

Considering the OP has another Thread on solar, I do not want to hijack this Thread, so I will say no more here about solar.

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
EDUCATION: I think that we can never be too educated...

I confused the two different sites ...

sleepy
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
In my situation I want to use a generator AND solar. I already own a Honda EU3000 generator so that portion is solved. I have purchased an aluminum carry rack that slips into the hitch. I will be adding a front hitch and build a custom enclosure for the generator. I want solar to cut down the amount of generator usage, I'm hoping to only have to run the generator to run AC and microwave. Adapting solar to the rounded Avion roof is my dilemma but I'll get it figured out.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
campn4walleye wrote:
I've got another thread going concerning solar power. Many of you are proponents of generators. Our unit is also wired for one. Can a Honda gen fit into our compartment? No offense out there, I still think the Onan is loud and annoying (that's the one that the factory would have installed).

We don't know the measurements of your compartment. I agree with you the Onan is loud compared to the Honda. You'll just have to get out the old tape. Don't forget to check the size of the blue generators there quiet too.

I know that I'm asking a lot of different questions, but I want to know the options and be well informed to make the right choice for us. We're pretty self sufficient and run a lot of power. I think the biggest draw besides the jacks is the fridge.

You should be running the fridge on LP. It would take a month to go through a tank of LP.

This is the difference with the TC world. The jacks take a lot of power. If it weren't for them, we would have had plenty.

Put the jacks down while the engine is still running. The alternator will help feed your hungry jack>

We're always learning something.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Do you want to run your microwave?

Do you want to run your airconditioner?

I thought so.

A 1000 watt generator is cute...

... but it won't run your microwave

And when it's hot outside the AC won't run on a 1000 watts

Most boondocking truck camper owners run one or the other... shut the AC off long enough to nuc the Lean Cusine.... then kick the AC back on.

So, determine how much power you need for each... and get a generator that will run one at a time.

remember that AC's need a starting surge that requires more than what you need to keep it running.

You are smart to ask... you'll be smarter if you question the advice you get.

Again good luck...
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used solar and used a genny. Its a toss up as far as your needs and camping/travel style.
The Honda 2000 works for me the best because i use very little 12 v. power. Therefore i run my genny a couple of hours every other day or every third day.

They do make tri-fuel genny ad on kits and you can also buy them new all set up. That might work for those that have diesels and carry gasoline. It offers you the propane option.
http://www.propanecarbs.com/honda_eu2000_trifuelconversion.html

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have the typical fridge and running it off the batteries, you are eating your batteries. Especially while camped. My first suggestion is to switch to propane for the fridge.

Some of your needs and circumstance is unique to TCs, or I would move this and your other Thread to the Tech Issues Forum. You should check it out. Most of the appliances are typical in most RV types. Sometimes they are unique doe to space available such as solar panels or generator storage.

If you want, I will move this Thread.

Wayne

serpa4
Explorer
Explorer
I have a quite generator, Boily Pro3600. It isn't much different than a Onan built in one for noise. Unfortunately, the standards for measurement are different.
The onan is 70db at 1/2 load at 10 feet.
Boily is 58db (much less) but measured at 21 feet. That makes a difference.
The Honda 2000 is about 59 db at full load, and I "think" also 7meters/21feet.
Not easy to say what they are rated at for only 10 feet like the onan.
AND, you don't have to carry extra fuel.
Sucks to have Diesel truck, gas generator, propane RV.

I mounted my Boily on the bumper, so anyone in the table bed is about 5 feet away.

However, I can move mine further away and use it for other than camping. It's pretty good on gas also. I threw in a remote start key fob and remote fuel tank options and it's working pretty good.
All in all, I think I'd still do the built in one on my next TC. I'd say the extra storage space of the empty generator compartment is handy!

Depending on usage, I can also go about 3-4 days with batteries. Then hit with the portable generator.
Love the camping life. 06 Host Rainier SS, 07 Classic GMC Sierra 3500 DRW.

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
We like our Onan because it is convenient. Turns on from the inside with a wall switch. No need to unload it and set it up. Yes, its noisier than the Honda
but we only use it to run the microwave when we need to, and thats usually just a few minutes. With solar we very seldom ever use the generator. If we need AC, we try to get a CG with hook ups. Just be careful to get a large enough genny if you want to run your roof A/C. The 2000 watt Honda which is nice and compact will not run some of the roof ACs.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods