cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lightweight TC choices

Ventura_Dogman
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a Northstar TC800 pop-up on an F150 4x4. I have had the rig about 11 years. The camper has a dry weight of 1,760 pounds. The truck handles the weight fine with the aid of helper springs. I am thinking of going to a hardwall and have been looking at the options in the same weight range. It seems to come down to Adventurer (80RB), Lance 825 or a Northstar.

I looked at the Lance at a local dealer and was not very impressed by the fit and finish. It weighs in about the same as my TC800.

The Adventurer seems to have the best floorplan for a nice open design, but I see very few Adventurer reviews online, so I wanted to get some feedback on the brand, reliability, service, etc. I have yet to see the Adventurer. A local dealer should be getting some in the not too distant future. It is just a bit lighter than my TC800. Also, the 80RB is a brand new design. Is it a bad idea to buy a new design before it has been out a year or two?

The Northstars are nice and simple, but with the wooden frame, are a couple hundred pounds heavier than their comparable counterparts with their aluminum frames. Also, the floorplan of the Northstar is a bit dated and not as open.

I am open to any and all feedback or suggestions.

thanks!
Northstar Laredo SC
Chevy Silverado 3500 diesel 4x4
Yellow Labrador co-pilot
9 REPLIES 9

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
You should take a look at the Wolf Creek line of truck campers. They are quality, lightweight campers made by the same company that makes the Arctic Fox. They have three floorplans, the 816, 840, and 850.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
dadwolf2 wrote:
Adventurer 86FB owner, but only for one month so far. Love the floorplan, the 7 cu ft fridge, the 4 season build, large holding tanks, reasonable weight, big bathroom. I've contacted the factory several times to ask questions and always got responses back very quickly.

I see the 80RB does have small holding tanks. The 86FB and 89RB jump up in tank size a lot.

X2 with the Adventurer brand.

Tarkin75
Explorer
Explorer
You could also check out pastime campers, pastimemfg.com. They are out of Oregon. I have a really old one, but my 93 8xx series 8' runs 1400 lbs with jacks off, and they claim to be fairly light campers.

I run mine on an F-150 4wd Scab with Timbrens, handles it well.

Later
C

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Adventurer 86FB owner, but only for one month so far. Love the floorplan, the 7 cu ft fridge, the 4 season build, large holding tanks, reasonable weight, big bathroom. I've contacted the factory several times to ask questions and always got responses back very quickly.

I see the 80RB does have small holding tanks. The 86FB and 89RB jump up in tank size a lot.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

Ventura_Dogman
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking out loud some more - both Lances, 825 and 865, only have a 3 cu ft fridge. My TC800 has a 3.7 cu ft and I would not want to go any smaller than that. I bring a lot of fresh fruit, veges, etc on trips. I think that might eliminate the Lance. The Adventurer has small water and waste tanks, but I don't use much water. I don't that is a deal killer.
Northstar Laredo SC
Chevy Silverado 3500 diesel 4x4
Yellow Labrador co-pilot

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the Lance 865 which is about 100 lbs. more than the 825 but has a much nicer bath and the construction seemed fine to me.
bumpy

R2D1
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Barber RV in Ventura has a couple of Adventurer campers in stock, but not the model you're looking for. You could check out their fit and finish though. We were torn between the Adventurer and the Lance, ended up with the Lance. I saw flaws with the Adventurer and the Lance, neither was perfect. There were some QC issues with ALP Manufacturing at the time. Things left off the camper, like toilet paper holder and bathroom door latch. I liked the plumbing layout better on the Adventurer than the Lance. We wanted a slide out on our camper and Lance won there.

Edit... Forgot to mention that you might want to check out the Livin Lite Camplite campers for a relatively light weigh TC.

campingken
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Panther Campers. They are built on the west coast.

http://www.panthercampers.com/home.html
Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd agree with your assessment 100%.

We had very good luck with our previous Adventurer...had it for 10 yrs. Moved up to a slide for more room.

The NS are very well built also...kind of plain/jane...but some Folks like that.
They also have a good rep...

Which one has bigger tanks?
Dual batts?
Dual propane?

You should go see both Adv and NS in person and see what you think.

Good luck, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson