cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

load and towing capacity

squirtdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 dodge diesel crew cab truck 4x4. I would like to get a truck camper that weighs about 1200 lbs fully loaded and a tow a trailer with a jeep on it with total weight of 5000-6000lbs. My question is can the truck handle this? Thanks-Don
13 REPLIES 13

Bedlam
See my profile link to the left of this post to get an idea what can do to your 2500. I'm around 19k lbs GCW when fully loaded.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

squirtdog
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good info. My truck is a 2500.

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your truck's rear axle and wheel bearings can handle a load of 10,900 lbs. so the limitation is the leaf springs and the rims and tires all of which can be augmented or changed to get up to a capacity of over 5,000 lbs. of payload. Check your tires for starters. If they are rated at 3195 lb. then the two at the rear will support 6390 minus the weight of the truck at the rear axle. That is roughly 3200 lbs. for most heavy duty trucks. There are 3750 rated tires that will fit on factory rims and if you spend $3500 or thereabouts you can put on Rickman rims and 19.5 tires with a 4400 lb. load capacity.

When you know how much load you can place on the rear of the truck you can subtract the tongue weight of the trailer and know how much total camper weight the truck can handle. Whatever the weight subtract 1000 lbs. to have a dry weight for the camper. For example if the rear supports 7500-3200 or 43000 lbs., and the tongue load is 500 lbs. then the fully loaded camper should weigh no more than 3800 lbs. and you should look for a camper with a dry weight of no more than 2800 lbs.

The 1000 lbs. covers things like an extra battery, AC, luggage rack, food, fluids in the holding tanks, and personal gear. The sticker weight on the camper from the factory will be 200-400 lbs. less than the actual weight of the camper from the dealer or a private party. Easy to verify the true weight at a CAT scale for $10.

Many hard sided campers in the 2000-2800 lb. weight range from which to choose.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Don,
We need more info on your truck. Is your truck a SRW, 3500? The rear axle weight rating seems awfully low to me. This may be due to a low tire rating. With two 3750 pound, E rated tires you should have a 7500 pound load bearing capacity not 6K pounds. There are a lot of people towing jeeps around on this forum and we have all figured out how to make it work. The way i finally settled on was a very lightweight 14 foot car trailer. Why 14'? Mine is a CJ8 rock crawler that is, u guessed it, 14' long.

It has two 3500 pound axles, over rated tires, SOA, brakes, wood plank flooring and weighs a dainty 1100 pounds.

I once rented a U-haul car traler that weighed in at 2500 pounds, dry. What a boat anchor. Not made for convenience for the puller, but made to be bullet-proof for the company.
So, it is possible. Just worry your way thru the process and keep your eye open for that lightweight trailer.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Marshfly
Explorer
Explorer
Jaxom wrote:
Here's what I've done.

This has had 2 ATVs + 1 Jeep 2 door Wrangler inside.
Steer Axle: 5100 lbs.
Drive Axle: 8100 lbs.
Trailer Axles: 9120 lbs

Pulled like a dream. Handled well. Stopped well.

That's a very well balanced setup Jerry. It looks great too.

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I've done.

This has had 2 ATVs + 1 Jeep 2 door Wrangler inside.
Steer Axle: 5100 lbs.
Drive Axle: 8100 lbs.
Trailer Axles: 9120 lbs

Pulled like a dream. Handled well. Stopped well.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

kbaum
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt that you will need to do anything to your suspension in order to handle that set-up. Sounds like you have a similar truck to what I have you should be able to easily handle those weights without modification. Try the truck unmodified before you jump in to any unnecessary mods unless you have the mod bug already.
2013 Northern Lite 10 cdse
2012 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins Crew Cab

Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (home)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
The standard mods are below in reader's digest form. Search here to learn more about each choice.

1. Upgraded tires and/or wheels. Tires have load ratings of various amounts. Most people here use E rated or higher tires with load ratings of 3600 or above. There is no way to know the load rating of the tires without looking at them. Make sure you have the right amount of air.
2. Add better shocks. Stock shocks are ok, but a normal upgrade consists of Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks.
3. If you use airbags to level the truck, a common upgrade is bump stop extensions either by making your own or buying Torklift Stabiloads. Other leveling options include Timbrens or Supersprings.
4. Upgrade your rear and front sway bars. Some trucks don't even have them.

You can do any or all of these mods.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

squirtdog
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a Four Wheel Camper Hawk Model. Also what is best way to beef up my suspension?

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your problem is going to be finding a camper within the weight restrictions you have stated. Historically most all truck campers weight more than advertised especially loaded.
Will you TV handle the weights you have stated? The answer is it surely will. You may have to beef up the suspension some due to the tongue weight of your trailer.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
The truck can "handle" it...but where on earth are you going to find a fully loaded 1200# camper?
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

squirtdog
Explorer
Explorer
The GVWR is 9600lbs. Front GAWR is 5000
Rear GAWR is 6000

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Need a little more info. What is the payload capacity of your truck? Look on the tire placard on the driver's door column. It will list your payload capacity.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)