cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

loading and unloading supplies

rode2nowhere
Explorer
Explorer
I just wondered how most of you carry your supplies to and from camper, my wife takes a lot of stuff and thens wants it out of trailer when we return home, and its about 40 feet to the trailer from house,,,,,,any suggestions appreciated
47 REPLIES 47

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
I keep our camper plugged in to power and water all year. Sometimes I go out there just to watch television or to relax. There's always something in the fridge to drink and food to eat (not anything that expires like milk though). When we get ready to leave on a trip, we load clean clothes, milk, etc., break "driveway camp" and head out.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
To empty the fridge, my wife puts items in the slide out plastic drawers so it reduces the number of trips into the house. Other than that it is mostly dirty laundry (which is in a crate since we have a built-in hamper in our TT).
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kitchen door to driveway is about that distance.

What she wants in and out, she packed into cardboard boxes. I carried some of them, she carried some of them. She unpacked to where she wanted stuff in the RV. We made enough trips that some of the boxes got used several times.

Since she died, I've been doing it pretty much the same way, only taking different stuff and not always putting in the same place in the RV.

We made some efforts with bigger, more permanent containers for fewer trips, but that just meant they were heavier. Trade off of how much to carry each trip vs how many trips.

I have friends who can't get their RVs home for this loading and unloading. Everything has to go into the truck, then go get the RV, and transfer to RV at first campsite. Transfer back to truck at last campsite (or storage facility) for going home.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I use laundry baskets and move every last bit of food out every time. I also pull the dirty dishes and the laundry. I also pull the generator, firewood bins, half size propane tank, dutch ovens, charcoal, extra sleeping bags (easily a half day affair with cleaning too) then the trailer goes to storage. When I reverse it all.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
rode2nowhere wrote:
I just wondered how most of you carry your supplies to and from camper, my wife takes a lot of stuff and thens wants it out of trailer when we return home, and its about 40 feet to the trailer from house,,,,,,any suggestions appreciated

I think you answered your own question...wife wants = wife carries.
One or two episodes of that and she'll learn that less = less carrying.

Ouch! I can see the death glare I'd get if I suggested that to the wife. It hurts just to think about it. My problem is not getting her to load the trailer, but to stop her at some point. She thinks of it as a storage shed on wheels. And, unloading is not in her repertoire.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
rode2nowhere wrote:

I think you answered your own question...wife wants = wife carries.
One or two episodes of that and she'll learn that less = less carrying.

Bisker
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Bisker wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Bisker wrote:
Trailer is in storage lot, truck is about 80 YARDS from the front door... four wheel wagon to load the following:

propane tank, propane fire pit, propane fryer, ice cooler filled with food, laundry sack with clothes, grocery bags with more food than we will eat, misc. stuff we bought at Camping World or Walmart, anything else my DW thinks we need but probably won't use.

Note: We don't pack anything from Camping World we order online, because it hasn't arrived yet!

I'm curious as to why you remove the propane tank, propane fire pit, and propane fryer? I would just leave them in the RV. I also don't take more food then I can eat. Wherever I go there is a grocery store close enough nearby to get items I want.

I'm just a weekend camper and I often take just enough perishable food for the first night. Then I purchase the rest the next day.

I use the tank, fryer and pit at home as well. As for the food, where we camp there is no "reasonably priced" grocery store and DW can never settle on what she wants so a bunch of goodies come just to come home with us, lol.

OK. I understand and respect that. I would buy a second propane tank though, there cheap. I get why you move the rest though. To each there own.

Well, if I had it my way there would be a lot less lugging stuff back and forth, but happy wife happy life, lol.
We did have a great 4th of July camping with friends, and yes we took too much and I lugged a bunch of stuff both ways, sigh!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bisker wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Bisker wrote:
Trailer is in storage lot, truck is about 80 YARDS from the front door... four wheel wagon to load the following:

propane tank, propane fire pit, propane fryer, ice cooler filled with food, laundry sack with clothes, grocery bags with more food than we will eat, misc. stuff we bought at Camping World or Walmart, anything else my DW thinks we need but probably won't use.

Note: We don't pack anything from Camping World we order online, because it hasn't arrived yet!

I'm curious as to why you remove the propane tank, propane fire pit, and propane fryer? I would just leave them in the RV. I also don't take more food then I can eat. Wherever I go there is a grocery store close enough nearby to get items I want.

I'm just a weekend camper and I often take just enough perishable food for the first night. Then I purchase the rest the next day.

I use the tank, fryer and pit at home as well. As for the food, where we camp there is no "reasonably priced" grocery store and DW can never settle on what she wants so a bunch of goodies come just to come home with us, lol.

OK. I understand and respect that. I would buy a second propane tank though, there cheap. I get why you move the rest though. To each there own.

Bisker
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Bisker wrote:

meriflower159
Explorer
Explorer
We try to pack as light as possible to keep it simple. It is much easier to do that now that our kids are grown and off doing their own things! Like others have already noted we pack perishables and clothing needed for the trip by using a plastic bin and a laundry sack/bag. Everything needed for camping stays in the camper.

rode2nowhere
Explorer
Explorer
legolas wrote:
Open a beer, sit down and tell your wife to have at it.
lol,,,,,,,she does help

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bisker wrote:

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
Open a beer, sit down and tell your wife to have at it.

jessjosh61
Explorer
Explorer
If you are buying bins to move stuff back and forth, make sure you know how big your door openings are. The biggest bins available may not fit through a camper door without being turned on the side. Don't ask me how I know....
Doug, Carla, Jessica and Josh
2014 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4, 6.0, 4.10, 11 MPG :E
2010 KZ Spree 289KS