cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking at 2003 Arctic Fox 860

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Hi..I am looking at a 2003 Arctic Fox 860..short box version . Any pointers or warnings??? I assume it is the for-runner to the 811. thx
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper
15 REPLIES 15

mkasner
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a typical Arctic Fox ๐Ÿ™‚ Unless you find one that was stored in a garage its entire life, you'll find more of the above than the garage finds. For ones that were garaged, the owner will want a premium. Enjoy your search, there is a camper out there for you

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Too bad. That one wasnโ€™t taken care of it sounds like. Good thing you spotted the issues.
Agree, we like the layout too. About the most you can squeeze into a short bed truck camper.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like a good call to skip this one.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Well , after looking at this camper , I noticed alot of delam on the front under the window and on both sides of the cab over along thr lower trim . Also under the cabover the whole thing was loose and could push up and down easily . There was even 3 little holes drilled evenly under the front of cabover and when I pushed up near them ....water came out... Looks like everything in front of the front jacks was wet...
Even the ladder on the back was not screwed into any meat anymore. Was good up top but middle was loose.
Both sides of the matterss inside the compartments were damp with rotton wood veneer ...
Of course the wings were punky and the left side storage bottom of the wing area was squishy...
Too bad as was a great layout with genny ,ac ,4 season pkg and every option .
Think I will stay clear ... Thanks for all the replies.
Equilizer 4 pt

davemhughes
Explorer
Explorer
Lurking, thanks for the question and answers as we are looking at a used Host and a used AF. So well will plan to check these even though we will not see either until we decide to buy one and travel there (500 miles) in opposite directions.
2018 Ram 3500 4WD Diesel Aisin
2001.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Diesel, 4x4 6sp, Warn 12k winch,
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 diesel
Lund 1825 Explorer
2012 AF 1140
Gooseneck truck camper to ride my KTM Dirt bikes out WEST.
" Always drink upstream from the herd"

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Thx for the replies , just absorbing it all. Did not know the 03 was wood frame . Willbe seeing it next week and will be unscrewing a few trin screws and inserting a thin wire to see if it is solid. I know my Lance was rotted under the side bedroom windows.
Equilizer 4 pt

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
mkasner wrote:
Yes, nothing wrong with buying a camper that needs some work either and is a great way to learn about how your camper is put together and how to fix

Totally, as long as you have more time than budget, and even at that I wouldn't want to take on structural damage. Maybe some rotted wings or something, but not in the skeleton.

One thing I think helps, is if the wings aren't rotted yet, I sealed all the seams and painted or under coated that whole area. It is very susceptible to moisture from road spray.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
burningman wrote:
Iโ€™ve also been eyeing an Arctic Fox for quite a while.
The โ€˜05 and later โ€œSilver Foxโ€ has the aluminum frame, if thatโ€™s an important point for you.

I targeted that for our first camper. Got the 05 in 2013. Sold it before we left AK and moved back to the L48 only because it was worth more up there, it was a fine camper. No issues at all, except it had a slight leak, I think from clearance lights that ran down to bottom edge of cab over part. Drilled a couple holes to get the water out and it quit leaking after I re sealed.
Bought the 03 as a replacement and the wood frame has not been an issue thus far. Camper looks, acts and feels the same. IMO, the most stress is high winds and large bumps while traveling and while we don't use it a lot, I'm not gentle with it. Off road, potholes, washboards, 75mph in heavy winds. I'm happy with how it's holding up as well.
It doesn't feel any heavier and the aluminum frame is wrapped with wood anyway.
Given the choice I'd go aluminum, but I wouldn't turn down a wood one to save a buck as long as it was solid.
I look at it this way. The old AFs are very popular up here and even the ratty looking old ones that are left out in the rain don't ever seem to be sagging or structurally compromised.

mkasner
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, nothing wrong with buying a camper that needs some work either and is a great way to learn about how your camper is put together and how to fix

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™ve also been eyeing an Arctic Fox for quite a while.
The โ€˜05 and later โ€œSilver Foxโ€ has the aluminum frame, if thatโ€™s an important point for you.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
I had one for a few years, it was my first camper. I bought it new in 2003 actually.

I got rid of it only based on my need/want for a bigger dinette and bigger bathroom. Other than that I was fully satisfied and never had any issues when I had it.
'06 X-cab Powerstroke Dually 4x4
'75 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
We had leaks right off the bat with our 2006 AF. Also the slide broke several times. Donโ€™t expect any factory support resolving issues. They no longer care to assist customers with chronic problems.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
If the camper does have issues that aren't severe it may still be just what you needed.

I bought a 990 that had a few areas leaking. Seeing these issues, I bought it with the intentions of rebuilding it.

I cleaned up the issues and seal all the leaks to use it until I had time to do the work the next spring.

It ended up they were all so minor that it's been 5 years I am still not planning on taking it apart to rebuild.

It's a lot more enjoyable using it than rebuilding it and the small de-laminated spots are no cause for concern.
Joe and Evelyn

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Thatโ€™s a fair warning, but itโ€™s not a forgone conclusion.
Although the other common area for water damage is the front cap from water coming in around the clesrance lights or front window.
Our 03 has some delamination on the cap under the front window. No rot, it had been stored under a canopy most of its life. So itโ€™s cosmetic.
Other than that, had an 05 860 and now an 03 and both were/are very solid and very few repairs, nothing major needed.
Iโ€™ll qualify that with we donโ€™t use it a lot so I donโ€™t know how it would be holding up to regular use. But Iโ€™m pretty happy with them for being older campers.