cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for expert tow vehicle advice/opinions

CLHEJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all. I know we have many folks in here with either expert advice or real life experience. My question is this...

I have an opportunity soon to get a newer truck. I will be using it for work as I travel about 1200 miles per week. About 80% of my work miles are without a trailer. I tow a trailer for work that is about 5000 lbs. I also tow my travel trailer (6100 dry weight) about 5000 miles per year. I would like to be able to upgrade in the near future to a bigger trailer or a fifth wheel. I would also like a truck/trailer combination that I am comfortable traveling into mountain areas.

So, the main part of this question is, with the details above, is it worth a diesel over gas? And, secondly (and I don't want to start a brand arguement), but what details does everyone have for Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. I do plan on just going straight to a 350 with a long bed as I'd like to put a golf cart in the bed. Not really interested in a dually. As you can see I put on a lot of mileage, and most are non-towing.

Thanks in advance!!!!!
Craig, Lillian and Aly
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 367bhs
21 REPLIES 21

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
CLHEJ wrote:
SO, to answer most of your questions. I am a regional sales manager for the Southeast corner of the country. I travel TN, SC, NC, and GA. I currently have a work provided pickup truck. They are doing away with work owned vehicles and going to a monthly paid vehicle allowance along with paying for fuel/gas. So, no, I am not going to move or get a new job. My job does require having a pickup truck as I carry tools, etc. for my job.

And, thank you to all! This is why I love this forum.

So it really comes down to what size 5th wheel you are considering.
- If it's a big 40' model, yeah, you need a diesel dually.
- If it's a 27-32' model, good chance a 3/4 ton will do the job...but with your mileage, you can justify the diesel based on fuel economy.

Keep in mind at 60,000 miles per year, new truck value is going to crater. At 5yrs, it will be north of 300,000 miles and people will discount offers heavily no matter what people say about diesel longevity. If you can buy a 5yr old model in good condition with moderate mileage, you should be able to avoid the worst of the depreciation.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
CLHEJ wrote:
SO, to answer most of your questions. I am a regional sales manager for the Southeast corner of the country. I travel TN, SC, NC, and GA. I currently have a work provided pickup truck. They are doing away with work owned vehicles and going to a monthly paid vehicle allowance along with paying for fuel/gas. So, no, I am not going to move or get a new job. My job does require having a pickup truck as I carry tools, etc. for my job.

They going to pay for your DEF too? I did a 2500 mile trip in a 2018 Ram Cummins and was shocked at how much DEF I used in a brand new truck. I had to stop twice on my trip and buy DEF, about 30-40 bucks worth, although if I would have had time to shop around I probably could have bought for less.

IMHO, only you can determine if Diesel or Gas is a better fit for you. Good luck!
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

CLHEJ
Explorer
Explorer

Craig, Lillian and Aly
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW

CLHEJ
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what you have against daulies but whatever...I'll just say that in all the years that I've RVed around the country and in Canada and Mexico, I can count on one hand the number of non-dualie trucks I've seen towing 5th wheels. Just not seen. There's likely a good reason for that. In addition, it seems that the favorite 5th tow vehicle these days is the Dodge Ram, followed by Ford...for what it's worth. And nearly all diesel. As far as 'common' failures of certain brands, sure, that happens but these forums these days really help you prepare or avoid

I have nothing against Duallys. I would love one, but it just doesn't seem practical for me. I drive a lot of miles weekly for work that doesn't require a dually. It would just cost me a lot more to drive the dually.
Craig, Lillian and Aly
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ppine wrote:
1,200 miles a week costs around $600. I would consider moving, changing jobs or whatever it takes to drive less unless this is temporary.

Why?? You don’t know anything about his job or situation. Maybe his job IS driving.
I’ve been packing on about 1000mi a week lately and will be for the next few months.
No big deal, but I’m driving a company truck and make enough money that I’d do it in my own truck if that was the deal.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
ACZL wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Very good analogy by valhella360 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For the price difference between a 3/4 and 1 ton SRW, go w/ the 1 ton. Lot of 3/4 tons seem to squat a decent amount either w/ stuff in box or towing. Don't think you'll see that on a 1 ton. Reason for the 3/4 squat IMO is that mrf's are going for a softer ride. Also, and this happened to me, beware or KNOW the tire capacity and how much weights on them. Had a 1 ton SRW and was over couple hundred pounds on tires. Knowing we are going to travel into hotter areas this summer, was going to be even more over on tires and with the heat generated just by themselves, add in the mix hotter air temps and higher road surface temps = 3 strikes against me. Now have a dually. Point is, keep in mind what the total weight you'll think you'd have on tires. Trucks themselves have a decent amount of wiggle room for weight, but don't think tires have as much if any (or at least what I personally would try w/ family on board).

If buying new, bumping up to the 1 ton SRW makes a lot of sense but on the used market, there are far fewer available compared to the 3/4 ton trucks.

Yes, check the ratings on the tires but you need to do that regardless. A 1 ton with lower rated tires will have the same issues and no guarantee the prior owner kept the right load range when replacing tires.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I think you need to have a very good idea about which 5th wheel you'd like to buy. I don't think you can make an economically intelligent decision on the truck until you've made the decision regarding the 5th wheel. As others have said, whether or not you'll need a 3500 DRW will depend on which 5th wheel you purchase. That said, if money is no object, you can always go big on the truck with the mindset that whatever fiver you get the truck will be able to handle.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
1,200 miles a week costs around $600. I would consider moving, changing jobs or whatever it takes to drive less unless this is temporary.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Very good analogy by valhella360 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For the price difference between a 3/4 and 1 ton SRW, go w/ the 1 ton. Lot of 3/4 tons seem to squat a decent amount either w/ stuff in box or towing. Don't think you'll see that on a 1 ton. Reason for the 3/4 squat IMO is that mrf's are going for a softer ride. Also, and this happened to me, beware or KNOW the tire capacity and how much weights on them. Had a 1 ton SRW and was over couple hundred pounds on tires. Knowing we are going to travel into hotter areas this summer, was going to be even more over on tires and with the heat generated just by themselves, add in the mix hotter air temps and higher road surface temps = 3 strikes against me. Now have a dually. Point is, keep in mind what the total weight you'll think you'd have on tires. Trucks themselves have a decent amount of wiggle room for weight, but don't think tires have as much if any (or at least what I personally would try w/ family on board).
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me I would be doing the same and in fact I am though I only drive 35-40k per year. My Ram 3500 SRW longbed does its duty just fine whether it is in town empty or towing or out on highways and byways towing or empty. I may have been able to get by with a 2500 though towing our fifth we would have been very close if not a hair over on payload. The price difference between the 2500's and 3500's I had looked at was literally a few hundred dollars. I did not need a dually for the weight I pull so it wasn't part of the mix at the time I was looking. Have not looked back since.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
1) Do you need the truck all the time for work? If not, a car getting 30-40mpg makes more sense.
2) If you do need a truck, you are probably can justify diesel from an MPG point of view. That's north of 60,000miles per year with 17,000 towing.

As far as 3/4, 1 ton, dually...what size 5th wheel are you looking for and how old of a truck are you looking to buy? Particularly newer 3/4 ton trucks can pull pretty big 5th wheels. Since you know you are looking at 5th wheels, now is the time to check them out and decide how big you will go. A blanket...you need a dually...is false.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Yeah that!
You've pretty much answered your own question in your first post though.
Gas vs diesel? Sure the newer 1/2 ton big engines pretty much match diesels for empty fuel mileage. HD gassers do not. Hook a trailer and you'll still have a significant difference in mileage as well.
However, the decision financially also much depends on your situation with work. Is your truck all out of pocket or do you get a vehicle allowance, fuel paid, etc? Also how long do you plan on keeping the truck?
If you're not footing the fuel bill, with the high miles you drive, gas v diesel doesn't matter for mileage. If you're paying for the truck and maintenance then a gasser will be cheaper. But if you're planning on keeping it a long time, then the diesel may pan out financially.
So diesel is the obvious choice from a power and finesse while towing standpoint, but I'd run the numbers based on your situation.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for SRW Long Bed Diesel.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II