cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for generator suggestions?

Darrah
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at getting a generator for my MyPod and this is what I've come up with at this point in my research.

What I run:

5000 BTU air conditioner (this is a small window unit.) uses 550 watts.
Jensen 12 volt TV uses 28 watts.
Jensen stereo / DVD player uses I can't really find the specs for this so lets say 15 to 20 watts.
Dometic CF 25 refrigerator uses 35 watts
Fantastic vent uses roughly 12 to 15 watts.

Using the higher end of the range = 648 total watts

Ok open for suggestions?
Pat (human I think.)
2015 MyPod by Little Guy.
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.
22 REPLIES 22

TexasChaps
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you take a look at the Boliy PRO3600SI
it's a Yamaha copy... mine has several thousand hours on it and it's still going strong.. typical price is around $1000 US

Darrah
Explorer
Explorer
Profdant139 thanks for the insight.
Pat (human I think.)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't buy a generator until you hear it running under load. There is a huge difference between a Honda and a generic generator. You do not want to be listening to a cheap generator, cursing yourself for buying the wrong unit. Your campground neighbors will also thank you for your refusal to be "penny wise and sound foolish."

Having said that, Hondas are not perfect. Their carb jets are tiny - they clog easily. There are lots of tips on these forums about how to keep those jets clean, but don't stint on maintenance. Please don't ask me how I learned this lesson.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Get the Honda 2000i generator, unless money is an issue and noise is not. Champion makes a 1400/1800 watt open frame unit that TSC sells for under $200. Reviews show thousand of hours of use and at 65db, they are about as tolerable as the more expensive units. Mine starts and runs a 8,000 btu air conditioner with no problems. Solar is quiet, generators are not.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Oasisbob wrote:
Go quality. The generator will long be there after you spend the money you may save on a cheaper unit. Yamaha or Honda. Based on your specs appears you might get away with a Honda EU 1000. Small quiet reliable. If you buy local you may be able to try before you boy. Do you have a micro wave? My EU 1000 will not run it unless all else if off. Best of luck
\

The 1000w is unlikely to start the air/con. Certainly not if the converter and anything else are on and drawing.

Not sure about all of them but I believe the Honda/Yamaha models are rated at their peak output (2000watts) but continuous is limited to 1600watts. That gives you 3-4 times the watts to get the air/con compressor turning which typically will be enough. Even if there is something else drawing small wattage, it will probably be able to cope.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BendOrLarry
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
Go quality. The generator will long be there after you spend the money you may save on a cheaper unit. Yamaha or Honda. Based on your specs appears you might get away with a Honda EU 1000. Small quiet reliable. If you buy local you may be able to try before you boy. Do you have a micro wave? My EU 1000 will not run it unless all else if off. Best of luck

This is nonsense! I had a Honda 2000 that lasted 3 years. I replaced it with a much lower cost Champion and I'm now on year 4 without any problems. Paying the most doesn't always mean quality.

Darrah
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Hawkeye-08
Pat (human I think.)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
I recently heard about the Generac IQ2000 that is supposedly quieter than the Honda 2000 and less expensive. Might be worth a look..

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
I'd second the Honda 2k.. IF your budget allows. If not I'd recommend a Champion 2000 inverter generator, much less expensive... They have a good track record as far as I know, our 3100 has worked well and customer service the one time I used it was pleasant (free high altitude jet, just ask!). A local ice cream truck has 2 of the champion 2k gennies ganged together they run his cooling units.. runs them all summer for 8 hours a day and never a hiccup.

They are a little bit louder, but not all that much.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Darrah wrote:
Ok open for suggestions?

Since your Dometic CF25 fridge runs on 12 vdc or 120 vac with the optional power supply and since you want to run a Fantas-tic Fan that likewise will pull a considerable amount of battery power over the course of many hours each day you should be assessing your battery situation first, then deciding what genset might be best for recharging that battery reserve. Based on what you've said so far you'd want to have at least a pair of GC-2 6 volt batteries as you sure wouldn't want to be running a genset hour after hour, day after day just to power the fan or even the fridge. The only requirement I see in your case for a genset is to be able to power the converter so it can recharge your batteries as needed and to power the A/C, otherwise run everything else on 12 vdc just as they were intended to be powered.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Darrah
Explorer
Explorer
No microwave, I use old school Coleman stove.
Pat (human I think.)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Darrah
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info.
Pat (human I think.)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like any of the 2000 watt inverter generators would be a good fit. Popular choices among forum members are Honda (red), Yamaha (blue), and Champion (yellow), as these units have proved reliable, and have good customer service and parts availability.

Amazon has hundreds of reviews and current pricing for the 3 brands above, of particular note is all 3 have nearly identical ratings among their owners justifying all as good choices.

A couple of batteries, a bit of solar, and a quality 300 watt inverter will help keep from running generator to power low wattage items such as your TV, dvd player, cell phone, laptop and tablets. Enjoy your new RV!!!