cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for tow vehicle for family of 6

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! Trying this again, after finally abandoning the idea of a Ford Expedition. (Payload issues) We are in the market for a truck. But it also needs to be my husband's commuter truck. He drives about 25 minutes one way, city traffic. We are considering TT's in the 25-28 foot range. (Haven't purchased yet) We have a large family of 6, including 4 adults and 2 tall teen boys. Not all have to sleep in the TT, so not looking for ultra huge.

Questions:
1) I'm seeing possible payloads of close to the 2400-2600 lbs range with a 4x4 Ford F 150 SuperCrew. Does this sound adequate for a TT that size? What is the minimum payload we should consider?
2) Obviously a 3/4 ton truck would make towing life easier, but what would be the gas mileage difference on a daily basis driving it to work? The window sticker on the F 250 didn't even have to list the gas mileage.
3) Any other TV we should consider?

Thanks for any input you have for us.
47 REPLIES 47

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

I will also go against the "take two cars" advice. I upgraded my boat last year and am no longer comfortable towing it tandem behind my fifth wheel. So all last summer, we took two vehicles - DW towing the 5er with my sig truck, and me towing the boat with a Burb. I will tell you, that gets old real quick.

We've turned into the take two vehicles over the past few years (mostly 5 hour trips), and I love it. With the ages of our kids, it's hard to get ALL of them free for an ENTIRE week. What usually happens is everybody but me leaves, and I get an extra day. Since it's just me, I can pack up everything that afternoon (storage is a back door where you have to fold a bed), and then I can relax and take my time in the morning. Sometimes one of the kids may stay, but we can still pack.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
GM is making 2500 series Suburbans again. They're not setup as towing monsters and may be only thru fleet sales from what I read, but that may work for you.
Given your short anticipated towing distances, long term vehicle ownership and family situation, I'd still lean towards a crew cab pickup or big suv and deal with taking 2 cars for a year or 2.
But I'm in the won't have a van club. I need 4wd and a truck bed, never mind the cool factor.

GM is making a 3500 Suburban. Available only as a fleet vehicle. Rated to tow 3000 lbs. Priced from $80k.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
GM is making 2500 series Suburbans again. They're not setup as towing monsters and may be only thru fleet sales from what I read, but that may work for you.
Given your short anticipated towing distances, long term vehicle ownership and family situation, I'd still lean towards a crew cab pickup or big suv and deal with taking 2 cars for a year or 2.
But I'm in the won't have a van club. I need 4wd and a truck bed, never mind the cool factor.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fourkidletts wrote:
Hello! Trying this again, after finally abandoning the idea of a Ford Expedition. (Payload issues) We are in the market for a truck. But it also needs to be my husband's commuter truck. He drives about 25 minutes one way, city traffic.

This is the standard wanting something all inclusive to perform two generally very different tasks. Something's gotta give. Then when Van is mentioned back comes the not cool third restriction.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
A van is the only real solution. Years ago Excursions and 2500 Burbs were up to the task however those vehicles are only available used now and are getting old and becoming rare. The newer version are no longer rated/capable for towing a large trailer and carrying lots of people.
3500/350 vans are your best solution.
Other than not being cool enough or stylish enough vans are a very viable solution. As other options have faded away vans have become the sole solution
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing offer more 3+ row seating space/seat size than Surburban/Expedition EL except full sized vans. Nissan has the NV3500 that is the most car-like in terms of features and luxuries. It still looks like a van and it really needs the engine/trans updates from Titan/Armada. Otherwise, today's crew cab pickups offer a lot more seating space/comfort for the second row passengers. But you are taking two vehicles with a family of 6.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Fourkidletts wrote:
Thanks, will look into all suggestions. To make things more difficult to decide, one of the adults is a 22 yr old daughter who is coming back home after college to live with us while she works on postgrad stuff. Who knows how long she will be here. One adult is a disabled son who will be permanent. But one teen off to college in a year and a half. Our needs will be changing yearly for awhile. I don't know whether to buy for now, or just deal with 2 vehicles, knowing a truck might very well work in a few short years. We drive our vehicles into the ground so it's not an easy decision. I just wish the Excursion hadn't stopped production, I decided I wanted that vehicle years ago!!!

I went to a pickup in 2011 because one daughter was in college, the other graduating from high school, and thought I would never need a vehicle for everybody. I quickly discovered that there were many times everybody wanted to go for a family day trip. Riding with 6 in a pickup was not comfortable. So last summer I went to the van, and completely enjoy for the family trips. Have been able to take some of the daughters friends as well. I can tell you that have some memorable days since then with the family. The daughters having fun, joking, singing, etc. Something you would not get with multiple cars.

I know a one ton van is not for everybody, but with 4 daughters, I find it wonderful. I also have a smaller AWD vehicle for winter storms.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, will look into all suggestions. To make things more difficult to decide, one of the adults is a 22 yr old daughter who is coming back home after college to live with us while she works on postgrad stuff. Who knows how long she will be here. One adult is a disabled son who will be permanent. But one teen off to college in a year and a half. Our needs will be changing yearly for awhile. I don't know whether to buy for now, or just deal with 2 vehicles, knowing a truck might very well work in a few short years. We drive our vehicles into the ground so it's not an easy decision. I just wish the Excursion hadn't stopped production, I decided I wanted that vehicle years ago!!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fourkidletts wrote:
Thanks for all the info, looking at all options. Trying to take our time and do this right. Question: Does Axle ratio affect payload at all? Or just how much you can tow?

Axle ratio alone won't affect payload cause any vehicle rated to tow a significant amount but a lower final gear ratio will tow better.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well you have 4 to 6 drivers and said you're not going far, few hundred miles?
Take 2 cars, buy a van or cram into whatever has enough seats for all the butts!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The only truck I would consider for this scenario is a RAM MegaCab. And I still don't think that is a great option. Middle seat passenger will not be happy.

I will also go against the "take two cars" advice. I upgraded my boat last year and am no longer comfortable towing it tandem behind my fifth wheel. So all last summer, we took two vehicles - DW towing the 5er with my sig truck, and me towing the boat with a Burb. I will tell you, that gets old real quick. We are looking at different options (none of them ideal) for our trips this summer.

So, I would say go for the 2500 Burb or Excursion, or the full size van. Room for everyone, and payload/towing capacity for the RV.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

TrekkerB
Explorer
Explorer
Fourkidletts wrote:
Thanks for all the info, looking at all options. Trying to take our time and do this right. Question: Does Axle ratio affect payload at all? Or just how much you can tow?

It will only affect towing capacity. Higher axle ratio's equals more towing capacity, but diminished fuel economy. Lower ratio's will produce better mileage, but lower tow ratings.

TrekkerB
Explorer
Explorer
Like others, I would encourage you to seriously consider a full size van. When I was first looking for a TV, I started looking for a 3/4-1 ton truck, but they are way overpriced and I really didn't want to handicap my towing potential with a 1/2 ton pickup. Therefore, I started looked for something else.

After a long search, I purchased a 2013 Chevy Express 3500 just for towing, but it has turned into my favorite vehicle. Easy to drive, great visibility, rides good, plenty of room to haul people and/or supplies (locked up in the dry), lots of payload capacity (~3500#'s), and a respectable tow rating. On top of this I get an easy 18 mpg on the interstate doing 70-75 mpg with the 6.0L 6 speed. Oh, and did I mention that I paid less than $20,000 for it in 2013 with 23,000 miles on it :-)? Try finding that on a comparable 3/4-1 ton truck! The price difference alone will pay for a LOT of gas.

The Nissan NV's are worth a look as well. We really liked it, the interior is much more refined than the Chevy, but finding a good deal on one isn't easy.

Some people also like the Ford E350, though I'm not a fan. I drive one regularly for work and the driving position is terrible (low seat in relation to dash) and the handling just isn't confidence inspiring at all. My Express handles very well for a larger vehicle...doesn't feel top heavy at all and goes wherever I point it. The Ford? Not so much.

Anyway, given what you wish to accomplish, I would try really hard to stay clear of a 1/2 truck. Don't listen to the hype, with 6 people plus a 26-28 TT you are really going to be pushing it's limits and I don't think you would be happy for long. But as they say, to each their own. Good luck!

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer

Mr_Biggles
Explorer
Explorer
With four adults and two children in a F150 you will be close to the max payload BEFORE you hook up to anything. My '11 FX4 super crew has a max payload of 1411 lbs. add a toolbox , a spray-in bedliner , mud flaps and a tonneau cover and I'm down to 1200 lbs. You need a one ton truck to take everyone and their gear and a trailer.
2011 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73 Tow package
2013 Evergreen i-Go G239BH