cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for tow vehicle for family of 6

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! Trying this again, after finally abandoning the idea of a Ford Expedition. (Payload issues) We are in the market for a truck. But it also needs to be my husband's commuter truck. He drives about 25 minutes one way, city traffic. We are considering TT's in the 25-28 foot range. (Haven't purchased yet) We have a large family of 6, including 4 adults and 2 tall teen boys. Not all have to sleep in the TT, so not looking for ultra huge.

Questions:
1) I'm seeing possible payloads of close to the 2400-2600 lbs range with a 4x4 Ford F 150 SuperCrew. Does this sound adequate for a TT that size? What is the minimum payload we should consider?
2) Obviously a 3/4 ton truck would make towing life easier, but what would be the gas mileage difference on a daily basis driving it to work? The window sticker on the F 250 didn't even have to list the gas mileage.
3) Any other TV we should consider?

Thanks for any input you have for us.
47 REPLIES 47

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
Fourkidletts wrote:
I don't think we will be going long distances with it. We live in Northern California and there is a ton of beautiful camping around here within a couple of hours. Hubby driving to work in a full size van doesn't sound like a good commuting option. And we have tried to get into a Suburban, the back seat does not accommodate my tall teens and their legs at all.

We have 4 kids as well (ages 2 to 11). If your teens don't like the rear seats in the Suburban, they aren't going to like the front middle spot in the truck, I can tell you that! I have both vehicles you have mentioned, as it happens, (see my sig), and my 5'2 11 yr old's legs are getting close to not fitting in that spot. Plus, the cushion isn't that wide, and it is kind of uncomfortable. Not to mention, it takes away my cupholder and arm rest!

You should definitely take a good long test drive with everyone in the truck before you decide.

A good crew cab pickup and taking a second car when necessary is also my suggestion, nonetheless. If 4 of the 6 are adults, and 2 are teens, there is a good chance everyone will not be going along every time, anyway. If all 6 go, taking a second car is a good option.

Re: commuting in the tow vehicle, I've been happy with the fuel economy of my F150 Ecoboosts. My '11 averaged between 17.5 and 18.5 for my commute. My '15 with the 2.7 is at 20.6 so far, but I'm only half way through my first tank. Overall, the F150 (and the other 1/2 ton trucks, too) are quite comfortable to drive, manageable around the city, etc. I love how my 3.5 towed. Haven't towed with the 2.7 yet, but I expect similar performance.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

R__Walter
Explorer
Explorer
Fourkidletts wrote:
I don't think we will be going long distances with it. We live in Northern California and there is a ton of beautiful camping around here within a couple of hours. Hubby driving to work in a full size van doesn't sound like a good commuting option. And we have tried to get into a Suburban, the back seat does not accommodate my tall teens and their legs at all.

If you're not going that far... take a second vehicle.
2016 Ram 3500 Aisin SRW LB
2005 Hitchhiker DA 31.5
Fulltimin'

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
The new Ford Transit full size van is not quite the trailer towing vehicle that the old E350 is but is probably up to what you want and gives a lot better fuel economy. Also, it is a much newer design (over 40 years newer) so it probably drives better and is more comfortable. If you want an E350 you had better move quickly as they are out of production and are already getting scarce. Your best bet would be to find one being retired from a rental fleet that has the V10 in it. You can ask any car dealer to see if any are coming up at auction and get him to buy it for you. I did that back in 2003 and got one with half of the warrentee left for under $19K. Because they are getting scarce when I put it up for sale recently it sold for $7.5k in one day. That makes it the cheapest vehicle I have ever owned. I could count the number of times it was in the shop on one hand, a great vehicle.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
You're going to get a heck of a lot more space in a full size van and a van is a much cheaper option. It's one of those ideas that easily dismissed until you drive one. Then you're wondering what took you so long lol.

Yes, the cool "guys" drive them!

My 15 yr old daughter is doing all her driving in our van. She is getting very good at it!
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Get a used 3/4 ton gas truck to tow and a nicer commuter for his DD that gets more like 30mpg. Then you can take both vehicles camping to split the butts in seats. A regular cab is about $5-6k less than crew cab pickup. And then you can get away with less trim/features. Spend $15k on the truck that can tow nearly any weight TT. If your budget is $50k, the remaining $35k buys a very high trim mid sized sedan or small crossover that should easily get 30mpg in mixed driving.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a family of six and a crew cab truck. We do OK but it is not ideal.
My prior TV was a PSD Excursion. While my current dually is a better TV than the X in many ways. We still miss the passenger space of the X
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Community Alumni
Not applicable
You're going to get a heck of a lot more space in a full size van and a van is a much cheaper option. It's one of those ideas that easily dismissed until you drive one. Then you're wondering what took you so long lol.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
My Ram seats six but that front center position wouldn't be great except for a kid for short stints. It also lacks a shoulder harness which isn't ideal.

I'd probably be looking for a used 2500 Suburban or Excursion or some sort of van. Have you checked out those big Nissan vans? Maybe excessive but they seem pretty capable.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
I have a crew cab and a family of six. We have no issues fitting everyone in the truck, the back seat has TONS of leg and shoulder room. Most of our trips are local, so we aren't in there for a lot of time. But this summer we are going out west and I have zero concerns about the room in the truck.

As for payload, some F150s seem to have payload in excess of 2,000 pounds from what I have read, but those seem to be like unicorns. GM has a max tow package that will get you around 2,000 pounds of payload in crew cab. I've been there and done that, and with 6 people and a TT in tow, the payload gets used VERY fast as you know.

I now have a 3/4 ton gasser. Gas mileage is around 10 in the city and gets around 14 on the highway (empty). With your commute, you will have to decide how much fuel mileage plays into your decision, gas is cheap now, but likely won't stay there. Good luck.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Four adults and two large teenagers recommends taking two vehicles to me. A truck for two as TV and a car for the other four. This would get you into a smaller truck than you would need for the entire crew in one truck. If you insist on one vehicle, a full size van is in your future, IMHO.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Fourkidletts wrote:
Hello! Trying this again, after finally abandoning the idea of a Ford Expedition. (Payload issues) We are in the market for a truck. But it also needs to be my husband's commuter truck. He drives about 25 minutes one way, city traffic. We are considering TT's in the 25-28 foot range. (Haven't purchased yet) We have a large family of 6, including 4 adults and 2 tall teen boys. Not all have to sleep in the TT, so not looking for ultra huge.

Questions:
1) I'm seeing possible payloads of close to the 2400-2600 lbs range with a 4x4 Ford F 150 SuperCrew. Does this sound adequate for a TT that size? What is the minimum payload we should consider?
2) Obviously a 3/4 ton truck would make towing life easier, but what would be the gas mileage difference on a daily basis driving it to work? The window sticker on the F 250 didn't even have to list the gas mileage.
3) Any other TV we should consider?

Thanks for any input you have for us.

You want to tow a TT, and bring a bunch of people along with you. You are in 350 van or 250/350 truck territory IMO (or 2500 suburban/excursion, that are rare). F150's with that type of capability are few and far between, and 2,400 lb payload in the brochure is likely to be ~2,000 lbs. after adding a few creature comfort options.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
We have a full size Van. Ford E350 super duty. We also have a Chevy Express 3500. It is what we need for passengers and cargo. They are both good TVs but the ford has more power. Gas mileage is about 14mpg. Not bad as a DD but is annoying in parking lots, especially indoor parking lots.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Fourkidletts wrote:
Hmmm....I'm finding f250's to be cheaper than the f150's. Is that due to demand? I'm seeing several thousands cheaper. Could make up for the difference in the gas mileage. Why would they be cheaper?

There's probably more demand for the F-150. Most people do not need a 250/2500, unless you're towing.
I agree, a full size van is a good option. Even for a daily driver.

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm....I'm finding f250's to be cheaper than the f150's. Is that due to demand? I'm seeing several thousands cheaper. Could make up for the difference in the gas mileage. Why would they be cheaper?

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer