cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for towing mirror swap suggestions

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
1'st I must say I thought I started this topic once before?
But I can't fint it?

Oh well.

I have a '97 dodge 3500 dually that only has the small standard mirrors.
Don't see why the factory would ship out duallys without tow mirrors?

Anyways for now I've been using some cheaply rubber strapped mirrors & they shake & at night forget, they're useless.

So I'm planning another big trip & want to get my propper tow mirrors before that.
So I'm looking for suggestions on what ones you recommend & why?

I was thinking about the fold out models like these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-97-Dodge-Pickup-Truck-Power-Towing-Mirrors-w-Brackets-Right-RH-Left-LH-Set-/130946544271

But wonder about quality?

If I'm gonna spend up to $300.00 I want them to be well built & so I'm asking you guys what brands you have fond to be built well & durable?

Thanks!
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
22 REPLIES 22

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
NMace wrote:
I have had good results with CIPA 2 for 80 bucks.

X2

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Just curious as I seen the, what I gather are the back up brackets. If I were ever in need to replace our mirrors I would spring the extra for replacments with the lights. Cant have too many lights:)or too much mirror. Wish someone made a light retro kit for my mirror housings. Ive often thought about adding signals to front of camper, or making the fender marker lights blink. With camper lights flat on back, limited side visibilty.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
Is the price differance between the what you ordered and what you first linked for the signal light? Assume your pre wired for power mirror. I did note the interior bracket shown on the other mirrors linked-do you need it-your last link they arent shown but maybe its included. (other sites say you need it)for changing up?

I was told this kit includes everything, including brackets & yes my truck is a factory power mirrors model.

What attracted these to me mostly was the lights added to them, they do cost more compared to some others but figured I liked the light enough to pay the extra, yet I have seen them for about $100.00 less without the lights, but I was told by some people that ordered these same mirrors how they were happy with them.

Either way, its done!
With '85 Lance.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Is the price differance between the what you ordered and what you first linked for the signal light? Assume your pre wired for power mirror. I did note the interior bracket shown on the other mirrors linked-do you need it-your last link they arent shown but maybe its included. (other sites say you need it)for changing up?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excelent choice....I like the turn light. Let us know how they work out so that others can learn what to do...

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I decided on these & just ordered them & should have them by the end of the week. :

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Mirrors/Dodge/Ram-2500-Truck/1AMRP00915/575471#TB_inline?height=600&width=8...
With '85 Lance.

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you get the advice that they make them and the small base with the pigtail is what you need?? Not trying to sell this stuff to you, I was trying to educate you on the differences...good luck with that.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I dont want damaged goods but do want power & flips.
With '85 Lance.

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
They do make the fold out in a power version now for your door style...your generation of truck will have the small base. Be very sure you are ordering the correct ones. The small base version will have a long pigtail on it where as the large base will have a white plug mounted directly to the base itself. These are the new generation style. Back in the early days we had to swap out the base and it was a pain in the butt to do. I still have some of these mirrors and parts if anyone is looking for replacements...PM me just ask what I have.

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
SugarHillCTD wrote:
I bought mine through eBay and they work great.[x2 on ebay found them there about 3 yr ago. Factory towing mirrows from some dodge dealer at a good price.
Ramp/quote]
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
here is a wrecking yard parts finder web site that might help... http://www.car-part.com/
1999 F550 truck conversion

MTRhino
Explorer
Explorer
I am not a Dodge guy so can't help on the years that would fit. Most wrecking yards are computerized anymore and will be able to tell you what years will work but would try to stay within the 94-97 you are seeing online. I have used this website (www.car-part.com) before to find and buy used parts and had good luck. You can even search your local yards if they are on there, or just call the one where you find the part and talk to them in person.
Central Montana
66 Jeep CJ5 (toy)
97 Glastron GS205 inboard boat (toy)
03 Bigfoot 25C9.6 truck camper(toybox)
06 PJ car trailer (toy hauler)
10 Chev 3500 ext-cab longbox (toy hauler)
11 Polaris RZR (toy)
12 Beta 450RR dualsport motorcycle (toy)
Next toy = :h

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
MTRhino wrote:
You might check out any local wrecking yards before ordering. They could have a set that are OEM.

But what year range would fit my '97?

Seems on-line they say '94-'97

I like the idea, but this makes me think that the later ones won't fit?
With '85 Lance.

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
I bought mine through eBay and they work great.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT