cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to buy 2018 Ram rebates are horrible

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
First time new truck buyer, looking to purchase a leftover 2018 Ram 3500 regular cab; Cab and Chassis truck.

The rebates on these things are horrible right now. Does anyone familiar with the new truck buying experience know if this can change at all in the future? As time goes by as more 2019's show up on dealer lots is it possible Ram will offer some decent rebates?

The whole 'rebate' thing annoys the hell out of me. I get having credit to finance, and that is something one can change and improve. The rebate thing, I have no control over, there is nothing I can do personally to change that. Dealers won't even sell a truck for what they are advertised for on Autotrader unless you happen to be military who owns a business that just bought a New Holland tractor in the last 3 years, that turned in a recent leased vehicle, yadda yadda yadda. There are still 2017's on the lots they are trying to sell for **** near the same price as a 2019! and they won't budge on price on those either.

The 2018's I have put offers on have been sitting on the lot since last summer as evidenced by the pictures of the truck. I put an offer on a truck 2000 miles away that I was willing to fly out and buy the next day but the dealer laughed at me for such a low offer even though a listed truck at a different location was advertised for less than my starting offer.

Frustrating.
33 REPLIES 33

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
It is, I think, if the vehicle isn’t going to get beat up and isn’t baking in the sun 24/7/365. From what I’ve seen, vinyl wraps have shorter lives sitting in the sun. Maybe 3-4 years only.
We did a trial run of wrapping work trucks. Our fleet is yellow and the thought was white trucks sell for more later on. Financially it didn’t pan out for the company, but we were paying $2500-3000 to wrap a crew cab pickup. Plus every scratch ended up being a tear in the vinyl.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Wow, Ying Yang models only, that is Black or White at Kernersville Ram. If he can live with those colors, prices looks good. Chris

That's probably why they want 3 grand more for the blue one. 99% of single cab 3500 C&C trucks are white work wagons. Heck 99% of all CnC trucks are work trucks and most are white.
Like buying g a pink corvette or something. They don't paint too many that color.

But I bet you could wrap a single truck cab for like $1500, any color you want.

That is a great idea. At resale it will probably sell best in white, wrap it how you want it, when your done with it, its white again.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Me Again wrote:
Wow, Ying Yang models only, that is Black or White at Kernersville Ram. If he can live with those colors, prices looks good. Chris

That's probably why they want 3 grand more for the blue one. 99% of single cab 3500 C&C trucks are white work wagons. Heck 99% of all CnC trucks are work trucks and most are white.
Like buying g a pink corvette or something. They don't paint too many that color.

But I bet you could wrap a single truck cab for like $1500, any color you want.

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I am holding out till near the end of the month to see what I can do on a 2018. Really trying to avoid white, I think if I wanted a white truck in the cab and chassis trucks I am looking at I can get a deal that would satisfy me. I will see what I can do before I go down that road.

I hear end of the month is best time to put in offers?

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
DieselBurps wrote:
I got a dealer invoice for a 2019 it's 50k so if I subtract incentives plus hold back I get the price to start from?

So 50k -5k(rebates)-?(holdback) = something less than 45k?

Problem is, there isn't 5K in rebates on the chassis cab, only 2K.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
You're not getting it. The price to "start from" is one that the dealer will entertain listening to.
Have bought vehicles for $14-15k off sticker and been laughed at for offering much better money than that for others.
You're looking at a very specialized vehicle, not many of which are produced or on lots.
You could buy a 3500 Crew Cab Dually Tradesman for less.
If you're wondering, Kernersville Ram has 3500 C&C reg cab diesel Aisin for $42k, or $9k off list for the 2018s. 2019s are a bunch more still.

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
I got a dealer invoice for a 2019 it's 50k so if I subtract incentives plus hold back I get the price to start from?

So 50k -5k(rebates)-?(holdback) = something less than 45k?

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
A Tradesman cab and chassis is a very low margin truck. It costs almost as much to build as a Laramie Longhorn MegaCab but retails for $30K less. Since the manufacturer isn't making much profit, there's no incentive to pass on big rebates.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
If you are there in person dealing that is a different scenario then over the phone thousand miles away. Your leverage of being there in person ready to buy is worth quite a bit.

Was buying a GMC 3500 and trying to trade the toyota, course they want to bend you over. I said no trade what is cash price. Then told them what I had in mind and they approved it. Then one of the clowns came in after and said they couldn't sell it for that and tried to up it $1k. I was walking and the salesman said wait and went to talk or whatever they do. I got it at my price.

If you go in with not really wanting to buy that helps also:) It's a big game.

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis Dillon is at least worth a look. I got 12K off my 2018 bighorn that I ordered and all of their trucks on the lot or ordered are around 10-12K off MSRP. If you research them they are well known for their deals and being upfront on the pricing.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
DieselBurps wrote:
patperry2766 wrote:
DieselBurps wrote:
I always find out what the dealers true cost is as close as I can. Invoice minus any incentives and rebates minus hold back etc. Then make my offer based on that.

I have heard about that, but I still can't make sense of it. Do I need to ask the dealer to get this info?

Here is one I was looking at

https://ubersoxchrysler.worktrucksolutions.com/platteville/work-trucks/cab_chassis/ram/2018/ram-3500...

What did you make to him?

I offered 40k as my starting point. They didn't want to negotiate beyond the price listed. I know 40 is low but I was willing to go up but they didn't want to go down.

Did the advertised dealer discount of $7289 include the $2K factory rebate? One thing to consider is that the rebates on cab/chassis trucks are NEVER as good as buying a "complete" truck off the lot.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
mileshuff wrote:
Best rebate Ram is offering is $3000 for a 2018 2500 Tradesmen Crewcab 4X4 short bed. Ram says average savings is $8845 based on average paid. May vary by location.

I bought my 2007 Ram when there was a $12000 rebate and $2000 factory to dealer incentive. Was able to get it for $14,000 below invoice. Good year to buy a truck!

That's becasue the economy s ucked back then.

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
DieselBurps wrote:
I always find out what the dealers true cost is as close as I can. Invoice minus any incentives and rebates minus hold back etc. Then make my offer based on that.

I have heard about that, but I still can't make sense of it. Do I need to ask the dealer to get this info?

Here is one I was looking at

https://ubersoxchrysler.worktrucksolutions.com/platteville/work-trucks/cab_chassis/ram/2018/ram-3500...

What did you make to him?

I offered 40k as my starting point. They didn't want to negotiate beyond the price listed. I know 40 is low but I was willing to go up but they didn't want to go down.