cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low clearance TT

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question a friend asked me the other day and not being too familiar with TT’s thought I’d ask the forum. They want a TT but have serious space constraints on their property. They have about 10 ft of width clearance to get it into the drive (once in the space is wider and can accommodate slides) but the trick is they have about 10’6" of height clearance. I know minimal for MH’s are about 12’ but I didn’t know if there were many small TT’s (not pop ups but a decent size TT) that can get into a space less than 10’6”.

Thanks
2013 ACE 29.2
16 REPLIES 16

kayco53
Explorer
Explorer
I dug two trenches to get my trailer under cover.If that helps.
Good Luck
2007 GMC 2500hd
2011 Creekside 23RKS

DonNH
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Obviously I made a joke about NASCAR, but you would have to have some sense of humor to understand. If swapping out 4 wheels is too much effort, to move a trailer indoors for storage, then you can't care much about the trailer.

I've been considering something like this also. Would love to be able to pull the camper into the garage on occasion to work on it.
Haven't measured it yet to see if it's possible. 10-15 minutes to swap out 2 tires would certainly be worth it.

sbowman871
Explorer
Explorer
You could let some air out of the tires while backing in. This should give you a few inches of clearance. Then pump them back up once inside. May only be good for 2-3 inches of additional clearance. I'm sure I will get flamed for this. Bring it!
2010 Everlite 29FK
2011 Ford F150 V6 Ecoboost Max Tow 3.73
Parkit 360

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously I made a joke about NASCAR, but you would have to have some sense of humor to understand. If swapping out 4 wheels is too much effort, to move a trailer indoors for storage, then you can't care much about the trailer.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
the bear II wrote:
A friend needed to lower his TT a few inches to be able to get it into his barn.
He made 4 steel discs (using 1 inch thick steel plate) to replace the tires on the TT. He would jack up the TT, remove the 4 tires and wheels and replace them with the steel discs, then back the trailer into the barn. He'd leave the discs on until he pulled the TT out of the barn.

He made the discs just large enough to provide ground clearance but lower the TT enough to get it under the door. It worked great but what a noise it would make against the concrete floor of the barn.

That is one heck of a lot of work to simply shelter a trailer..

I think I would have simply built a "lean to" on the side of the barn high and large enough to accommodate the trailer with the wheels on.

Either that or cut in a higher door...

Did you ever watch a NASCAR race? Only takes seconds to change 4 tires. Really, it ain't a lot of work for the benefits of indoor storage.

:R

How many people have a pit crew of a dozen, plus 4 high speed air wrenches plus two high speed two pump jacks at their home?

Just absolutely stupid idea to say the least.

Your buddy would have taken a good 10 minutes PER wheel all by his self to pull that off..

That is 40 minutes each and every time you wanted to pull it in or out of your life that you will never get back.

There are far better "options" that can be and should be done before one resorts to this kind of over the top idea..

For the OP, I would look at many options which may or may not be limited to increasing the height of the obstructions. So if it signage, increase the height, if it a grove of trees cut back or off some of the lowest limbs.

The reason for this is you ever needed anything else taller than the 10' 6" to come up the driveway it will not be a problem in the future.

If you ever have something shipped truck freight the truck most likely would never fit under that height. I have my driveway graveled ever few years, the dump truck they use is at least 11 ft. I had some cement poured and I can guarantee a cement truck would not be able to go under 10' 6" (we had to use fiberglass poles to lift telephone lines that go across my drive and they are a good 12ft high).

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Many trailers will fit that height but they will be paying a price in ground clearance and draging tails. As long as they stay on paved roads probably won't be a problem as long as they have adequate drag bars installed on the rear. If the trailer is small enough that the rear overhang is short probably won't even need drag bars.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
the bear II wrote:
A friend needed to lower his TT a few inches to be able to get it into his barn.
He made 4 steel discs (using 1 inch thick steel plate) to replace the tires on the TT. He would jack up the TT, remove the 4 tires and wheels and replace them with the steel discs, then back the trailer into the barn. He'd leave the discs on until he pulled the TT out of the barn.

He made the discs just large enough to provide ground clearance but lower the TT enough to get it under the door. It worked great but what a noise it would make against the concrete floor of the barn.

I think I would have simply built a "lean to" on the side of the barn high and large enough to accommodate the trailer with the wheels on.

Did you ever watch a NASCAR race? Only takes seconds to change 4 tires. Really, it ain't a lot of work for the benefits of indoor storage.

Seriously? NASCAR has a team of people with air tools ready to go, not to mention a $1500 jack.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new 2013 Gray Wolf 26BH and the actual height is 10'-5" to the top of the ac unit. I think that's a little higher than most but can't swear to it.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
the bear II wrote:

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
the bear II wrote:

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer

Emptypockets
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, my Rockwood Mini Lite 1809S would work.
The Palmers

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Many travel trailers will meet the height requirement. I don't know of any fifth wheels that will.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Typically standard widths of travel trailers will be no more than 102" or 8' 6" which should include any and all items which may stick out past the walls like wheel well skirts.

102" is typically OK to haul without permits so manufacturers tend to build no wider but you might find a few wider ones..

For narrower trailers, you will need to look at "lite" or light weight models. Manufacturers tend to build these a bit more narrow than regular ones which allows them to shave off some weight and some frontal area. Typically can find those as narrow as 7'..

Oops my bad, looks like you are asking about width but at the end you mention height..

Many TTs are under 10ft including the A/C unit.. However 5th wheels tend to get very high so if they are looking at a 5th they will have abit harder time finding one at that height.

I know my 26 ft TT roof deck is just a little over 8ft high since I use a 8t step ladder to get on the roof. Add a little for the A/C I would say I am just under 10ft..