cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Luxury Diesel SUV as tow vehicle

ve2tcx
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I'm looking at people who have experienced towing with a diesel SUV. I'm planning to replace my current vehicle (2009 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD) in a year or so and I'm interested by the following:

2-3 years old (with less that 60000 miles), these SUV are around 35k (in Canada)

BMW X5 xDrive35d
Mercedes-Benz ML350 Bluetec
Volkswagen Touareg TDI

These 3 SUV averages 250HP and 400+ Lb-ft of torque

I have a 18' travel trailer weighting 4600 pounds loaded for now. I'd like to get a 23' with bunks (about 6000 pounds loaded) in the future.

I do not want a bigger SUV than the ones listed (nor a pickup truck), as it won't fit in my garage!

My 270HP, 250 pound-ft of torque Toyota does the job well right now, but it would be nice to get more power and torque if I want to upgrade my travel trailer.

Thanks!
2016 RAM Ecodiesel Big Horn 4x4
2009 Keystone-Passport 250BH
43 REPLIES 43

bovellois
Explorer
Explorer
x3 for the Jeep. a comparison between the Jeep and the VW was featured in dieselpowermag
Bruno, Carol, Thierry and Julien
Sankei the fox terrier
Starla the Gordon setter
97 Dodge 2500 4x QC diesel
2006 ROO19

Hammerhead
Explorer
Explorer
The 2014 Grand Cherokee has a maximum tongue weight of 720 lbs according to the owner's manual. The same rating is listed in my 2008 owner's manual. 2WD models have an extra 20 lbs of tongue weight rating.

That is 12% of 6,000 lbs, but doesn't leave much room for payload (including passengers) before reaching GVWR of the Jeep

I'm guessing the original poster isn't interested in the 2014s since he's looking for slightly used SUVs.

smyke
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a fun thread in regards to Touareg's towing capabilities.
Thats where I actually saw skyfree's setup originally. 😉

One thing regarding the TW rating on the Touareg: some hitches/manuals apparently list 770lbs TW and some only 618lbs. Several members of that other forum had contacted VW and were mailed an updated sticker reflecting higher numbers.
Very strange but I thought I would point that out.
Mike

2006 VW Touareg
2001 Trail Lite by R-Vision B23S

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
The Touareg won the recent Car And Driver diesel SUV comparison test over the other vehicles you list as well as the Jeep and Porche Cayenne. I tow approx 4,500 lbs with it. I think my tongue weight is in the 600 lb range with my 2 heavy 6v batteries and full propane, but I don't know for sure. I tow with a full water tank too because we never camp where there are hookups and I don't like having to search for water. I believe that using a WDH is not optional. Without it the steering is very light and the rear suspension is overloaded. I average about 14.5 MPG towing.

APT wondered about GVWR being exceeded with a lot of weight on the bumper. That would definitely be true, but we have the stripped Sport+Nav version, and the 2 people + 2 dogs weigh about 360 lbs. We carry NOTHING in the vehicle with us. Everything is in the trailer.

For our situation, it is an ideal TV, but if I had 1,500 lbs more to move I wouldn't personally want to use the Touareg. The hitch is only rated to 616 lbs, and you will need to distribute more weight with a beefier WDH. Yes, I know a lot of people do it, but it is going to be hard on the vehicle. Get the right tool for the job and if you must have that bigger trailer maybe you should get a truck and park it outside.

BTW, VW has conflicting information regarding the use of a WDH on the Touareg. The hitch clearly mentions using one, and the manual suggests that you should not. Some have made modifications to the hitch gear by welding stuff onto it, but the bottom line for me is that it works great and I haven't had any problems with it. I've even had the bumper cover off after someone hit me and there were no indications of stress.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

APT
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few members happily towing with diesel SUVs, Touareg, and older Liberty and Grand Cherokee. First I've heard of a Q7, but it's very close to the Touareg. They all report great towing experiences with the 400+ lb-ft of torque at 2000rpm with better than any gas engine fuel economy.

However, you really need to check the receiver ratings. I am not aware of any that are rated for more than 740 pounds. 6000 pounds loaded TT is going to be really close, in the 700-800 pound range. The Touareg specifically does not recommend using a weight distributing hitch, but many people do. Do some research on those.

Also, check the payload on all those as you shop. You said luxury, so that means lots of equipment/features/options. That takes away from the already low payload of these mid-sized SUVs. I asked Touareg owners and only got one response. If you only have 1100 pounds to start, then 700+ pounds of trailer tongue weight, you only have 400 left for family and anything else in the SUV.

Air suspension is common on these luxury SUVs. I don't it for RVing. It complicates weight distribution hitch adjustment and masks overloaded conditions.

What's wrong with a diesel pickup? They will have more seating space than any mid-sized SUV. A $400 bed cover provides quick, easy access to a much larger cargo are, if not climate controlled. You can get a lot of the same luxuries in high end pickups these days.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
ve2tcx wrote:
Hi, I'm looking at people who have experienced towing with a diesel SUV. I'm planning to replace my current vehicle (2009 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD) in a year or so and I'm interested by the following
BMW X5 xDrive35d
Mercedes-Benz ML350 Bluetec
Volkswagen Touareg TDI

We use these plus other Diesel SUV's for towing. Most sort after here is the 4.5 V8, Diesel Landcruiser(which is only available in Australia, and is great towing Off Road)
That being said the new to you CRD 3 Litre diesel Jeep would be a good choice for towing the RV you have in mind.It would cheaper than the above.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Get a Excursion and expand the garage, or build another garage!

You really do want the tow vehicle to outweigh the trailer - if possible.

Fred.
So an 8000lb dually towing a 15000lb trailer is not good?
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Excursion and expand the garage, or build another garage!

You really do want the tow vehicle to outweigh the trailer - if possible.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
Just be SURE you find out the VEHICLE tongue weight spec. You need 13% to 15% of the FULLY LOADED TT weight on the tongue. When we looked at the vehicles you list several years ago, NONE had a tongue weight spec allowing us to tow a 7800# TT.

Note I did NOT say the spec on the TV receiver, but on the vehicle itself.

Horsepower is not the issue, a Jonnie one pop (an old tractor) could tow near anything with near zero horsepower.
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I know it isn't luxury, but I tow with the Jeep Liberty Diesel.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

campingcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
We tow with a 2011 Audi Q7 TDI and have had no issues. You can pm me if you want more info. We recently upgraded our htt to a 21 foot TT with bunks and rear slide.
2011 Audi Q7 TDI with Tekonsha P3
2013 Keystone Outback 210rs
Party of five (Me, DH, DD, DS, DS) & Katie (Loyal Chow Chow)

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
All of the SUVs you listed will are not rated for the tongue weight of a 6000 pound trailer (at 15% = 900 pounds). Jeep says they offer a Class IV receiver but they don't list the tongue weight rating that I can find.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

RetSgt7114
Explorer
Explorer
X 2 on the Jeep
------------------------------------------------------------------
Gulfstream Yellowstone
USAF Veteran
US Army Veteran
Retired LEO 34 years

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
You should also consider the new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Diesel. Yes, it does have that level of TT capacity. A potential alternative choice over the three Deutsche vehicles mentioned.... Oh, and you can actually go off road with it too!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad