cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manufacturer Says this is OK

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer

I drew the 'wavy' red line where the manufacturer says the COG is located. They also say this TC is designed for LWB or SWB 3/4 Ton and higher trucks.

Would you do this?

Yes, it does have a full wall slide-out and one of those nice fancy step/storage bumpers.
50 REPLIES 50

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
woodhog wrote:
Why are just "truck campers" mentioned in loading instructions for these light trucks, all sorts of instructions for COG , pictures, stickers etc.

Nothing mentioned about other types of loads and their loading instructions.

Where there previous lawsuits at some time involving TC accidents or do they think hauling a truck camper is much more dangerous than other loads?

If you are referring to TT/5ers there are several pages in the manual that talk to those also.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Why are just "truck campers" mentioned in loading instructions for these light trucks, all sorts of instructions for COG , pictures, stickers etc.

Nothing mentioned about other types of loads and their loading instructions.

Where there previous lawsuits at some time involving TC accidents or do they think hauling a truck camper is much more dangerous than other loads?
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
jimh425 wrote:
Isn't interesting that people don't trust TC manufacturers recommendations but are willing to believe whatever the Truck manufacturers recommend.

No kidding.

Or what a dealer/salesperson recommends because after all they will say and do anything blah blah blah... and all dealers and sales people are the same blah blah blah ... every last one of them blah blah blah 🙂

Meanwhile truck door sticker says 5200lbs GAWR front + 6200lbs GAWR rear = 9900lbs GVWR... and that right there is gospel...

how do you load that :h

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
billtex wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
billtex wrote:
Copy/paste from our 06 Chevy Owners manual;

Here is an example of proper truck and camper match:
A. Camper Center of Gravity
B. Recommended Center of Gravity Location Zone
When the truck is used to carry a slide-in camper, the
total cargo load of the truck consists of the
manufacturer’s camper weight figure, the weight of
installed additional camper equipment not included in
the manufacturer’s camper weight figure, the weight of
camper cargo, and the weight of passengers in the
camper. The total cargo load should not exceed
the truck’s cargo weight rating and the camper’s center
of gravity (A) should fall within the truck’s recommended
center of gravity zone (B) when installed.

The "zone" in the picture (could not paste) is the entire wheel well...
Of course, the more mass you can shift toward the front axle the better the vehicle should handle as the majority will be over the rear.
B

It is NOT "the entire wheel well."

There are dimensions on the inside of the glove compartment lid that define the front and back of that zone.

My 2003 Chevy 1500 defines the zone as 0" to 78" measured from one end of the bed or the other. It has a 6-1/2' (78") bed.

IIRC my 2002 Chevy 3500 lists 0" and 96".

In the 06 manual it is shown as a zone the size of the wheel well...

You're both right. The picture shows a wheel well zone but when you apply the A and B numbers it may end up being the whole bed.

I posted some time ago on this subject. I found a GM publication (for at least that particular model year) that allowed the camper COG to be anywhere in the bed provided the ratio of front axle weight to total weight was above some percentage. It was in the 20-30's% depending upon SRW/DRW, etc.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:

I think running the tie downs against each other at the same tension will hold the TC better in place than relying on the forward bed wall with all four tie downs tensioning against it.

interesting...I trust a rigid fixed point (bed wall) more than I would a "soft" assembly (multi piece tie down).
Obviously either works...as there are plenty of both scenarios in use.

But if I had to choose...a fixed point would be my first choice.

I have seen chains and levers fail, I have not (yet) seen a pick up bed shear from a TC braced against it. I suppose it could with sufficient force, but the psi of a TC against the front wall of the bed is much less than then the load on a 1/4" dia chain link or steel rod. I suspect a tie down would fail long before a bed wall...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The objective of the tie downs is to reduce the movement forward or back, due to minute vibration while traveling.

jimh425, that is an interesting thought. It is not limited to TC's.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Isn't interesting that people don't trust TC manufacturers recommendations but are willing to believe whatever the Truck manufacturers recommend.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
I haven't looked closely on the long bed version of AF811, but you can see the rear anchor points on my short bed version are farther forward than the Eagle Cap.

I think running the tie downs against each other at the same tension will hold the TC better in place than relying on the forward bed wall with all four tie downs tensioning against it.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to have the rear tie downs over the bed instead of pulling the rear over hang of the camper? Is Eagle Cap the only one that does this?

I would think (hope) the TC Mfr places the tie down where it is most structurally sound. (Have seen some recent threads where this was not the case.)
This is why the tie downs can be adjusted.

Keep in mind the EC 850 can be used SB or LB. This would effect the tie down angle.

B
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

Bedlam
Wouldn't it make more sense to have the rear tie downs over the bed instead of pulling the rear over hang of the camper? Is Eagle Cap the only one that does this?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
rickeoni wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
I am used to seeing the rear tie downs at an opposite angle to the front and not in the same direction.

Agreed, with both tie downs angled in a similar forward direction this would cause the camper to be able to slide forward in the bed. Since the back wall of the bed is in the way it will lift in the back and dip on the cab over point. Probably not enough to do any damage to the truck but maybe a little to the camper, but sure will make for a scary ride on all but the smoothest surface!

hmmm...maybe with HJ's as they are tied to rear bumper.
With both our campers and frame mounted TL's they were mounted in this orientation. The TC is always loaded against the front bed wall so both front/rear tie-downs are holding the camper forward as well as down.

Why would you want to pull the camper away from front bed wall?

Am I missing something?

Tx, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I am used to seeing the rear tie downs at an opposite angle to the front and not in the same direction.

Agreed, with both tie downs angled in a similar forward direction this would cause the camper to be able to slide forward in the bed. Since the back wall of the bed is in the way it will lift in the back and dip on the cab over point. Probably not enough to do any damage to the truck but maybe a little to the camper, but sure will make for a scary ride on all but the smoothest surface!
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Two words to whoever owns this rig. Weigh it. 🙂 All questions would be answered if they take it to the scales empty and dry, and wet and fully loaded. Then we could all stop assuming anything. Just my opinion.

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
cleary wrote:
Here's the camper loading instructions that came with my truck from Ford.

Chuck

Kind of comical that they show a drawing of an F150.
I think it is even more comical that people post some of this stuff as absolutely truth and factual for all trucks and TCs. My point being, I had none of this stuff in my owners manual, glove box, or TC manual. If I had none of it, how can someone tell me it applies to my truck or TC?

If someone posts in absolutes, simply because they read something somewhere, compromises their credibility in my opinion. Another thought, is if you read all the negative stuff in the glove box of a truck, buy a different brand that does not have that stuff.

I am fortunate in having an older truck. My only restrictions are based on the laws in the state where I live. If I should ignore a manufactures "recommendation" on something, so be it. On my truck and/or TC, not very many "recommendations" from the manufacture.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke