cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

marker lights on while camping

squires5
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from an extended weekend at Old Orchard Beach, where a lot of our Canadian neighbors also frequent. I noticed, though, that several campers (pop-ups, TT, 5th wheels) had the running (marker)lights on while camping- Quebec trailers in particular. Is this a Canadian or Quebec wiring requirement? I found it odd- never saw this before- tow vehicles not any where near the trailers.
1998 Coachmen Lepracaun 30MB
DH'70&DW'69
DS'96,DS'03,DD'04
174 REPLIES 174

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
It's a vanity thing! Not something most of us would consider doing....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

timjcarter9
Explorer
Explorer
I just put my multimeter on 10 amp and put the leads in the top two slots. Done. Don't do it much. Just tried it out a few times. I have the LED outdoor strip attached if I want to give a light show.
2003 Avalanche - 4.10 gears
2010 Puma 18DB
Sold - 1973 FMC 2900R

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
jmckelvy wrote:
mrkoje wrote:
Svichera wrote:
The marker lights can be turned on quite easily. All you need to do is jump the battery charging pin with the running light pin on the trailer pigtail. It is the top two on the trailer pigtail. I do it all the time while camping. I don't recommend doing it if you are dry camping. It can run your battery down.

What is the reasoning behind doing it though other than you can?

X2. Was wondering this myself.

Ambiance........
Easier than hanging awning lights :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
mrkoje wrote:
Svichera wrote:
The marker lights can be turned on quite easily. All you need to do is jump the battery charging pin with the running light pin on the trailer pigtail. It is the top two on the trailer pigtail. I do it all the time while camping. I don't recommend doing it if you are dry camping. It can run your battery down.

X2. Was wondering this myself.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like they have a jumper wire in their trailer pigtail cord sockets.

Looking straight at the socket......jumper wire from 11:00 position (trailer battery) to 1:00 position (trailer running lights)

To change it up a bit just get an automotive turn light flasher and plug it into 11:00 & 1:00 positions....now the trailer lights will come on and FLASH

Really drive the neighbors nuts!!

Just remember to have a good charger so trailer battery doesn't go dead

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dbl post........

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
No it's not a wiring requirement. Next time you see one ask them to show you how it's done. It's a jumper connector on two of the trailer plug connectors.
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
Svichera wrote:

RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
That is kind of odd isn't it? Seems like a great way to put a drain on the batteries.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

Svichera
Explorer
Explorer