cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Military grade aluminum LOL

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Watch this Troy then ask yourself if this is what you want your next truck made out of!

Ford Tough NOT!

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.
75 REPLIES 75

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
jody h wrote:
mich800 wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
jtallon wrote:
Military grade aluminum?

"We get more dents before 9am than most trucks get all day!". ๐Ÿ™‚

That said, I bought my trucks for payload for rving, to haul bikes and lawnmowers, bags of landscaping rock and garden soil, camping gear, and firewood. Aluminum would work fine for me. I'm a weekender guy, not a contractor.

You never buy rock by the bulk? Same with fire wood, I pick up a half cord ever spring and it gets chucked in the bed of the turck. No need to lightly set it in worring if I'm going to knock a hole in the bed.

Again Ford needs to rethink what material they are making their beds out of. Thos is not an opinion it is a fact.

Don

Lets be realistic, as impressive as no damage from mulch is try that with landscape blocks that would normally be loaded via pallet. You cannot honestly think throwing some firewood in the bed of the Ford is going to do great damage? Even GM admitted yes they got punctures in the same tests.

Maybe not fire wood but drop your toolbox empty might l say and ford get a hole.Im sorry but that's bad.

Did you read the article GM said it put holes in their bed also

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Most 150 or 2500 owners buy a car with a big trunk. They never haul anything in the back. If they do they put old rug, blankets or cardboard down to protect the bed. Go to Lowes or Home Depot some Saturday and watch the fun.
I had a neighbor who owned a brand new 150 ask to borrow my 2500. When I asked him why he said he was getting a new stove and needed to pick it up at Lowes. I asked what was wrong whit his PU. He was shocked and said "I don't haul anything in my truck, I don't want to scratch it up."
Needless to say after I stopped laughing I turn him down. He had the stove delivered.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Denny & Jami wrote:
That's a stupid test,nobody in their right mind would do that to any truck. I used trucks for work for years and would never load something that way.

I own a F350 SD and a F150 and the F150 is a car truck when compared to F350.

Denny

Yep! That's what I said in the other thread. Stuff only gets loaded like that in a dump truck. Anyone that loads like that deserves what they get! A bedliner will protect some from that kind of damage, but any person with half a brain would never dump a load of bricks into any pickup truck bed. And when you are buying bricks, they are to use for building purposes and you don't want them damaged!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
You can always find ways to make every brand look bad, just adjust the "test" to suit your strength and their weakness. In all fairness every contractor I know has:
1. Spray in bedliner
2. drop in bedliner
3. a bed mat
4. a piece or plywood

Treating a truck bed like the one from a commercial dump truck will destroy every brand, not jus the aluminum ford beds.

This test is a loser, I give it very little merit because of that.

Some of it isn't realistic but it does bring up some valid considerations. I personally think the F150 is the best half ton by a wide margin compared to the current crop of competitors, but this would certainly give me something to think about. I wouldn't not buy an F150 because of this but I'd sure invest in a bed mat.

The interesting implication here is whether this same issue applies in the new Super Duty, which I believe is also aluminium. It stands to reason that a typical Super Duty is going to take more abuse than a typical F150 so it could be a bigger deal in that application.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
The toolbox hole did make the bed look pretty flimsy.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

jody_h
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
jtallon wrote:
Military grade aluminum?

That said, I bought my trucks for payload for rving, to haul bikes and lawnmowers, bags of landscaping rock and garden soil, camping gear, and firewood. Aluminum would work fine for me. I'm a weekender guy, not a contractor.

You never buy rock by the bulk? Same with fire wood, I pick up a half cord ever spring and it gets chucked in the bed of the turck. No need to lightly set it in worring if I'm going to knock a hole in the bed.

Again Ford needs to rethink what material they are making their beds out of. Thos is not an opinion it is a fact.

Don

Lets be realistic, as impressive as no damage from mulch is try that with landscape blocks that would normally be loaded via pallet. You cannot honestly think throwing some firewood in the bed of the Ford is going to do great damage? Even GM admitted yes they got punctures in the same tests.

Maybe not fire wood but drop your toolbox empty might l say and ford get a hole.Im sorry but that's bad.
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Megacab
2004 Flagstaff 8524RK

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
You Ram and GM boys need to review the crash test before denouncing the "military grade aluminum" Ford.

Pickup crash test.

Measures taken from the crash test dummy in all but the F-150 indicated a likelihood of serious lower leg, ankle and foot injuries.

"Drivers in these pickups would need help freeing their legs from the wreckage following a small overlap crash.

My sympathies when they are trying to free your feet and legs from the wreckage of your trucks with a poor rating.

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
And I do not want to be customer where those blocks will be used ๐Ÿ™‚
Let's not forget that:)
Alex above hit it right there, anything can be presented the way you want it to be seen.

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
You can always find ways to make every brand look bad, just adjust the "test" to suit your strength and their weakness. In all fairness every contractor I know has:
1. Spray in bedliner
2. drop in bedliner
3. a bed mat
4. a piece or plywood

Treating a truck bed like the one from a commercial dump truck will destroy every brand, not jus the aluminum ford beds.

This test is a loser, I give it very little merit because of that.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter has a 1/2 ton crew cab truck, yes its her car, the heaviest thing it has seen is an atv. It was cheaper for her to go this route rather than buy a SUV.

I own a new 1 ton it will never see anything other than my camping or home supplies, when I get firewood I have the guy with a real truck deliver the 3 cords all at once. when I need mulch I have that delivered also, sorry but im that guy that likes to keep his pretty dually looking pretty!
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
ahh and I wanted to see what happens if they were to drop the keys in the bed.............

lol's
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer

The last time I needed rock in bulk, it would have been too much weight for the half ton I owned at the time, so I had it delivered. Everything since is for smaller projects, where it's just easier to move around in bags.

As for firewood, I buy for the camping season and campfires, not heating. Pre-split and bundled by a friend's son. He makes a few bucks for college, I spend the time saved fishing or hiking with my own kids. Seems to work well for everyone involved.

And heck, now I've got a B&W fifth wheel hitch in the bed. It'll come out in 5 minutes, but lifting the beast is more of an issue for my back. So it stays put until the end of the season, unless something urgent comes up. Not gonna drop a load of anything on top of that hitch, but I can stack a lot around it when I need to.
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
jtallon wrote:
Military grade aluminum?

Don

eflyersteve
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder what happens to these commercials when GM switches to aluminum on their trucks?

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/05/gm-fullsize-trucks-aluminum/

I suppose it will be "yeah, but our aluminum is space grade!!"

Reminds me of the 'we have the largest vehicle on earth' suburban commercials. Until the Excursion was introduced and then the commercials were 'yeah, well ours still fit in a standard garage'.
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 204RD
2011 F150 Super Crew FX4, 5.0L V8
Husky Centerline WD Hitch

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
jtallon wrote:
Military grade aluminum?

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.