Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mini-Split AC for TC

tcdave
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a bad rap song huh?

anyway, getting ready for a trip out west, really looking into installing a Mini-split AC/Heat pump system on my truck camper. It's cheaper and i can bypass all the electrical since i found one that is 110v.

Anybody done this?
24 REPLIES 24

tcdave
Explorer
Explorer
more pics at:

http://davestruckcamper.blogspot.com/

tcdave
Explorer
Explorer
I also wanted to point out to my dually friends, my front jack extensions. I had a friend help me out with the fabrication of those. It's basically 3" stainless tube steel in 2.5 tube steel,cut out the welds so they slide into each other.

I had terrible luck with the reico titan stuff. It's junk IMO. With these extensions i pull the pin out, and the extension comes right out. So the camper has no parts hanging out while driving.

tcdave
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah sure...

I purchased the unit from minisplitwarehouse.com

http://www.minisplitwarehouse.com/AirCon_9,000_Btu_13_Seer_110v_Mini_Split_Heat_Pump_AC_A13CHEM4H4G09/p315964_9526459.aspx

It's a 9,000 BTU heat pump. It requires 110v 15amp. I could have wired it right to my convert because i do have a 30amp converter, but i choose not to do that. It uses a little over 2 pounds of freon, the indoor air exchanger is about 36 inches wide 12 inches tall. I had to remove one of my cabinets to put it in. ๐Ÿ˜ž But i'm glad it did. The unit has AC/Fan/Dehumidifier/Heater/Auto setting. The auto setting keeps the camper at 76 no matter what. I use it when i'm getting ready for a trip, it manages the fan speed temp and everything. It also has auto fan speed and tilt. fancy dancy stuff..

About the install.
I took the outside unit cover off, bolted it to angle iron on the heavy side, alum bracket on the light side. The angle iron runs in the well of the camper, it's bolted to the camper twice on the vertical side, and lag bolts on the horizontal side. The other angle bracket is aluminum a friend made for me that is bolted thru the camper.

You can install all the wires and copper tubes yourself, but i paid my friend $250 to install and check for leaks since he is a HVAC guy. There were no leaks. However, if i were to do it again, i would by a unit that needed the copper lines welded rather than nuted. Nuts works, welds are better.

As you can see, only one hole was cut. The water drain is the white tube coming out. IMO, it is twice as quiet as a roof unit, plus it is very very nice inside. The fan motor is very quiet and adjustable, my kids slept like rocks, and no hole in my roof, plus the DW thinks it looks pleasant.

In 97 degree Maryland weather, i set it to 73, and in the camper it's about 68. It will freeze you right out. Don't know about the heat yet, but i will keep you updated.

If you have any other questions let me know.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
tcdave wrote:

Do you have any more information regarding the photo above, I think that's the frist mini-split system I've seen in a TC. Post a report on it and lots of photos.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Glad it worked out for you. Something to think about for later on if needed.
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

tcdave
Explorer
Explorer

tcdave
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys it's been a while since i've been on. Well i did install a mini split to my truck camper, and i have to say it's been the best mod i've done yet. The unit cost $600, install cost was $250. It works like a charm. We drove from the east coast to the midwest and back. Thru Chicago and all the crappy roads you could imagine. No leaks or problems.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
tcdave wrote:
cewillis wrote:
There are some 12v dc mini-splits designed for mobile applications -- if you have big bucks, and plenty of battery and charging capacity.

30amps holy cow...

That's at 12c dc. ~equivalent to 3 amps at 120v ac.
Cal

tcdave
Explorer
Explorer
yeah i've gone back a forth with the window unit idea. I built my camper with seamless alum siding and i really don't want to cut a hole in it... but it would be a lot cheaper.

dbrojr
Explorer
Explorer
just do this....rear window mount type...made by ge...travel cool...mostly plastic,ship weight was 17lbs. 110 volt.

2002 f-150/jayco pop

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check on how effective a heat pump will be, in climates with dry humidity. Many areas of the west have very low humidity. Be sure to buy a stick of Chapstick, when you travel west.
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Bedlam
I would rather see basement air and heat that would vent to the rear. Maintenance access could be through a floor hatch inside.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I often wondered how hard it would be to split a small window unit... Lowes etc has 5,000-8,000 btu units for around $100.00..

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

okeehandyman
Explorer
Explorer
I think that if I were going to attempt to use other than a rooftop A/C on my TC, I would modify the rear ladder to allow access to the rear window and just figure a way to mount a small window style unit. I have seen a couple such installations on units that did not have roof air.