cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Missing something ... while leveling

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Truthfully, it's a spot we'd been to before. We remembered how many blocks to use for the dually tires on one side and for each front.

Nevertheless, I thought I'd see how perfect we got the level. I usually use a bubble level, but I couldn't find the tiny thing. No worries, go to the backup. But, it wouldn't work! On the plus side, I found my regular one and we were perfect.

Take a look at this picture of the backup and look at what is missing. Time to check all my backup items. ๐Ÿ™‚

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
18 REPLIES 18

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks palmwhit for the level advice, 2 out of 3 of my millenials didn/t know this. Side benefit, just lost 3 lbs.of "stuff" by leaving 2' level at home.

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim, I think a few of us caught that. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kirsch - I get that kind of thing even on the level! Lol. But I hear you. Happened to me the other night on the way someplace. Slept pretty poor, just a little sideways. After arrival and level past few nights only a little worse than home.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm always trying to be perfect on level as well. DW says, isn't that good enough. ๐Ÿ™‚ I don't know if it affects my sleep or not. That might be something for me to check going forward!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I recently figured out that I wake up with SEVERE knee pain on whatever side I fell asleep on, if the camper is not level.

The bed is in an east-west configuration, and I sleep with my head towards the passenger side of the truck.

When the camper is level, I sleep through the night and wake up feeling great.

When the camper is running uphill, I wake up at about 2AM with blinding knee pain in my left knee, if I'm laying on my left side. If I lay on my right side, I wake up with blinding back pain.

When the camper is running downhill, I wake up at about 2AM with blinding pain in my right knee, if I'm laying on my right side. If I lay on my left side, I wake up with blinding back pain.

All it takes is "half a bubble off" with a 6" torpedo level I keep in the propane compartment.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not an important point, but I found it very funny that my backup level was missing a bubble. "It had one job". ๐Ÿ™‚

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think his point was he's always parked just fine without using a level of any kind. Tell them what I won Johnny!

Actually I guess I missed his point to too. Guess I won the donkey behind door number 2.

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
So when using the wine glass method, do you read the top or bottom of the meniscus? Or, do you just proceed until they join?
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

mvpmich
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Funny, that some people missed the point. No, I don't have a trailer to level. Yes, I could go digital for my 9.5x6 ft level job, but basic has worked for 10 years. ๐Ÿ™‚

Does the wine level method work with bourbon?

Yes, but don't use ice!
mvpmich
2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS
Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
I tried a variation of the glass method using Gin and Tonic but I found the Ice tends to obscure the apparent level.
I do have stick on bubble levels at the front and rear left side jacks that were installed at known level and use those to level the TC.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
A half bubble is good enough for me!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Other than no bubble in the backup, I don't know what the point is. It's look as though you're leveling a couch cushion.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JRJR
Explorer
Explorer
I have put the frying pan on the stove and added about a spoonful of water as a level before.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Funny, that some people missed the point. No, I don't have a trailer to level. Yes, I could go digital for my 9.5x6 ft level job, but basic has worked for 10 years. ๐Ÿ™‚

Does the wine level method work with bourbon?

palmwhit
Explorer
Explorer
On a serious note, the iPhone has a bubble level built in. Go to the Utilities app and open the compass, then swipe the compass right to left and the level will be there. Very accurate.
I just carry a little 5" level. After I fiddle with getting the camper for a given amount of time, my wife says, "for goodness sake's we're only going to be here a couple of nights."