cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More suspension help!

Rickj91
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Wolf Creek 850 on a 2005 Chevy 2500HD (no Overloads), with the Duramax with 120,000 miles on it. I still have the original shocks. Truck rides fine with the load but I get about a 3 inch sag in the back from the empty position. I am thinking about Monroe Reflex Light Truck shocks vs. Bilstein 4600’s and adding Super Springs. I do a lot of back country camping for fishing and hunting as well, and it performs just fine. I also pull a Cargo Trailer which adds to the sag in the rear a little, when attached. I have read all the posts on here and get confused as to the best route to take. First I am wondering about the shock choice, and then if the Super Springs will help with the sag in the rear.
I am very impressed with all the knowledge and experience on this site and it is my daily read each morning. Any ideas or comments would sure be appreciated. Oh, Love our Wolf Creek 850, after many campers, 5th wheels and travel trailers.
2005 Chev 2500HD D/A,EC,SB,32 in. Hitch Ex. 2013 Wolf Creek 850 SB, 2007 Mirage 6X12 Cargo Trlr
32 REPLIES 32

bens170
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Torklift and contact your dealer or vehicle manufacturer and find out if a camper package was available for your truck.
Ben

WAM2_Campers
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Arctic Fox 1150 on a F350 dually diesel 2WD with the heaviest spring pack Ford offers. I have Rancho 9000shocks and air bags with on-board compressor and separate adjustability, when fully loaded (including 47 gallons of water) I run 40 psig in the air bags. I put on Timbrens for on year, not that they were needed but wanted a softer axle stop on large bumps as the factory bump stops are quite hard, but the 1150 is a heavy camper and the center of gravity is behind the rear axle so the truck's nose would bounce up and down a lot, so took them off. We are on our sixth year with this rig and have no complaints. Good luck and Happy Camping!

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
billtex wrote:
homefor2 wrote:
I added air bags and found that they lifted the truck off the overload springs and really made a side to side sloppy ride.

That's exactly how NOT to use airbags...too much psi and you leave the overloads=rock and roll.

Enough psi to bring you to level...without leaving the overloads is what you want.
I agree with this, but will add, if your overloads do not have the correct adjustment, you may never be satisfied with the air bags. Personally, I do not have overload springs, just airbags. I have no issues with a side to side sloppy ride. I did have the side to side sloppy ride before I installed the 19.5 tires. The stiffer sidewalls make a huge difference.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
homefor2 wrote:
I added air bags and found that they lifted the truck off the overload springs and really made a side to side sloppy ride.

That's exactly how NOT to use airbags...too much psi and you leave the overloads=rock and roll.

Enough psi to bring you to level...without leaving the overloads is what you want.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
I went with Supersprings because I could do the install myself. I've been satisfied with them. But, if I were to do it again, I would at the least contact a spring shop and make a better comparison.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
Wow you sure got a lot of ideas here. Some completely contradict the other but that's what opinions are all about.

I can only speak about my Dodge 3500 dually so it may be a different result for your GM truck. I added air bags and found that they lifted the truck off the overload springs and really made a side to side sloppy ride. I then added Torklift Stable Loads and it firmed up the ride without using the airbags much. I added Bilstein 5100 shocks to dampen the rocking (they don't provide any height lift). I use the airbags to simply level the camper.
I think the advice you have received about springs is right. Add airbags only after trying the springs if you need to level your loaded truck. Good luck with your suspension mods.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
I would spend $400-450 on a set of SuperSprings. A single overload leaf on each side costs $400 and adds 1400 lbs. of support or for $50 more you can get a pair of leaves for each side. It took me an hour to install them on my Chevy truck.

You want the springs to support the load and the shocks to dampen the motion of the springs, same as when the truck was engineered by the manufacturer.

And on certain trucks like mine, they gouge you for the bracket kit for an additional $75. Go to a spring shop and get proper overloads installed for less.

This is a custom 5 pack installed on 07 Dodge for the same cost as SS. And you can set them up to engage right and avoid spending on overpriced Stable Loads.

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Butch50 wrote:
... Also the lower Stable Loads can be taken in and out with a ratchet. Take look at the Stable Loads

This is the type you use if you don't have an upper overload. When you are not using the camper or loading the truck down just swing them out, then when needed swing them in.

With air bags, and in cab controller, add or remove air, no wrench needed, rain or shine. You can also level the TC while camping. If on the highway with strong side winds, push a button to put more air on the down wind side of the TC. You can also stiffen or soften the ride with the in cab controller.

Through the years I have had overloads with and without adjusters, coil over shocks, added leafs to the spring pack. I much prefer the air bags. Changing from a TC loaded truck to an empty truck, the worst experience was with adding to the leaf pack. The second worse was overloads. But, each of us have our own preferences.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would spend $400-450 on a set of SuperSprings. A single overload leaf on each side costs $400 and adds 1400 lbs. of support or for $50 more you can get a pair of leaves for each side. It took me an hour to install them on my Chevy truck.

You want the springs to support the load and the shocks to dampen the motion of the springs, same as when the truck was engineered by the manufacturer.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Butch50 wrote:
cewillis wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
Maybe someone can explain how the truck can squat 3", and be raised back with anything that is not adjustable?

Anything that is fixed, is just that, fixed. If you have a given truck, and load it with five different weights, no fixed spring, Stable Loads or shock will bring it back to the original height. Air bags will.

For those that have a problem with airbags, they might consider how many big trucks are on the road with them.

My top overload brackets are adjustable in ~1" increments, mostly not needed after initial setup for a given camper.
Big rigs run on paved, level roads 99.9+% of the time. Others of us don't.

Big rigs like logging truck are mostly still spring suspension. The OTR like stated are mostly on paved or graded roads and not out running the really rough stuff.

Also the lower Stable Loads can be taken in and out with a ratchet. Take look at the Stable Loads

This is the type you use if you don't have an upper overload. When you are not using the camper or loading the truck down just swing them out, then when needed swing them in.

Yes...the SL can help swaying...but they may not bring the truck back to level.

Suspension upgrades have to be approached 1 step at a time.

Best thing is load up and drive for a season and then see what you (might) need.
That's what I did for our first TC...then I added airbags to level and firm things up after the first year. They worked great.

Now our new (heavier) TC has a very different weight distribution, more weight forward and the airbags are pretty much not needed. I am running 10/15 psi just to level side2side a bit.

There is no one size fits all answer...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
cewillis wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
Maybe someone can explain how the truck can squat 3", and be raised back with anything that is not adjustable?

Anything that is fixed, is just that, fixed. If you have a given truck, and load it with five different weights, no fixed spring, Stable Loads or shock will bring it back to the original height. Air bags will.

For those that have a problem with airbags, they might consider how many big trucks are on the road with them.

My top overload brackets are adjustable in ~1" increments, mostly not needed after initial setup for a given camper.

Big rigs like logging truck are mostly still spring suspension. The OTR like stated are mostly on paved or graded roads and not out running the really rough stuff.

Also the lower Stable Loads can be taken in and out with a ratchet. Take look at the Stable Loads

Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Rickj91
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the replies, now I have to make some decisions. A fellow that has a local service depot, says he uses Stable Loads on his Gmc and they work great, but he is towing a 5th wheel.
I apologize about the overloads, as I do have the lower ones, not the top ones.
Soon as I have a decision I will post with pictures. Thanks again.
2005 Chev 2500HD D/A,EC,SB,32 in. Hitch Ex. 2013 Wolf Creek 850 SB, 2007 Mirage 6X12 Cargo Trlr

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:

Cal

joe123
Explorer
Explorer
If I was you I would go with a proper set of overload springs installed by a spring and suspension shop, if you spend time off road you will not regret it as for air bags I removed mine as I found that the flexed to much moving the load from side to side. Just mu 2 cents worth. Good luck with what ever you do. post some pictures after you are done.