1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.
27 REPLIES 27

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advise.
I'm installing them today and will post a picture of where they end up.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:
You can add the compressor and I highly recommend it.
I ran bags for a few years without, and it kindaโ€™ sucks. Thereโ€™s never air when and where you want it and if a bag leaks down a little you canโ€™t fix it.

Having buttons to press to adjust your suspension on the fly, any time anywhere is pretty great.
In lieu of trying to find air somewhere, or installing a compressor, we carry a high pressure bicycle pump (100-150 psi) with us. We can pump up a 5 psi bag to 30 psi in less than 30 sec. Not for everyone, but it works for us ๐Ÿ™‚

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have both of mine on the bottom of the passenger side of the bed just behind the cab. I did it for two reasons. I don't ever want to be standing on the traffic side of the truck to add air. I don't trust other drivers. Secondly I routed the air lines inside the frame rails and away from the tires so that a blow out will not rip out the air lines. Yes that happened on my first set up.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
You can add the compressor and I highly recommend it.
I ran bags for a few years without, and it kindaโ€™ sucks. Thereโ€™s never air when and where you want it and if a bag leaks down a little you canโ€™t fix it.

Having buttons to press to adjust your suspension on the fly, any time anywhere is pretty great.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
Mine are mounted in the rear at the trailer hitch. I've contemplated installing OBA and integrating everything, but it's an expense that I haven't yet thought worth it because I'm a very casual camper.

My camper sticks out a ways past the bumper.

I didn't think the compressor was worth the extra $$ either.
Kenny

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are mounted in the rear at the trailer hitch. I've contemplated installing OBA and integrating everything, but it's an expense that I haven't yet thought worth it because I'm a very casual camper.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I have an on board compressor that maintains 5 psi in them all the time and pressure gauges under the dash with individual controls to set them with. Nothing outside, everything in the cab. Trick to long bag life is keeping air in them all the time (at least 5 psi when not in use). I installed the firestone bags in 1999 in my 1997 F350 and they are trucking right along, no issue.

Thanks on the AP tip.

I bought the cheap ones with no compressor.
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
I mounted them to the plastic fender wells (next to the frame) just behind the rear wheels on each side of our Ram. Real short run to the bags. Easier to adjust pressure (and measure at the same time) if you're one that needs to level the left and right sides with the camper on-board.

This is what I think I'll be looking at.

I don't want to drill holes in the metal.
Kenny

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have an on board compressor that maintains 5 psi in them all the time and pressure gauges under the dash with individual controls to set them with. Nothing outside, everything in the cab. Trick to long bag life is keeping air in them all the time (at least 5 psi when not in use). I installed the firestone bags in 1999 in my 1997 F350 and they are trucking right along, no issue.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
I mounted them to the plastic fender wells (next to the frame) just behind the rear wheels on each side of our Ram. Real short run to the bags. Easier to adjust pressure (and measure at the same time) if you're one that needs to level the left and right sides with the camper on-board.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I put mine on the floor next to driver seat. This way I could add air from 12V compressor plug into cigarette lighter socket.
Later on I put dual valve/gauges, so I could release or equalize pressure while driving.
That was on old truck, when new needs nothing.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Iโ€™ve had them in the fuel filler area, in the bumper, and in the fender well. The fuel filler area is ok, but the caps can be hard to get off. The bumper/plate area is obviously hard to reach with a TC on. So, I guess I prefer the fender wells even though I didnโ€™t ask the installer to put them there. Thatโ€™s probably the shortest line since each filler location is very close to the bag that it fills. I painted the white caps black, so they just blend into the fenderwell.

Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking.
Kenny

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ve had them in the fuel filler area, in the bumper, and in the fender well. The fuel filler area is ok, but the caps can be hard to get off. The bumper/plate area is obviously hard to reach with a TC on. So, I guess I prefer the fender wells even though I didnโ€™t ask the installer to put them there. Thatโ€™s probably the shortest line since each filler location is very close to the bag that it fills. I painted the white caps black, so they just blend into the fenderwell.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member