cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mounting Propane tank

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
I never see any propane tank(s) ever mounted on the rear of the trailer. Is there a reason or legality where it gets mounted ..Reasons ?? Thx
17 REPLIES 17

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering about that as well. Inverters are pretty quiet and I would use rubber feet on the base , but its is still rather close to the trailer for noise. Perhaps a sound absorbing mat between the trailer and the genny would do the trick in addition to facing the exhaust away from the trailer.Right now I have my 3200 watt genny in my truck bed and it works fine, but I like doing DIY projects and this seems like an interesting mod..LOL

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
hohenwald48 wrote:
I have my Honda eu3000i mounted on one of these. Works just fine but I don't have a problem with the additional TW.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Stromberg-Carlson/CC-255.html?feed=npn&gclid=CLmivoyhwcwCFU07gQod9RwHMw

Since that mount attaches the gen directly to the TT frame, does the genโ€™s vibration make it into the TT?

Iโ€™ve been thinking about getting that mount for my TT, but since it attaches to the frame and is so close to the bed, I thought it might make the gen's vibration too noisy inside the TT.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Community Alumni
Not applicable
JCR-1 wrote:
I never see any propane tank(s) ever mounted on the rear of the trailer. Is there a reason or legality where it gets mounted ..Reasons ?? Thx

The NFPA explicitly states that propane tanks cannot be installed on the rear wall or rear bumper of a recreational vehicle.

"NFPA 1192 - 5.2.3.4 Containers shall not be mounted on the exterior of the rear wall or the rear bumper of the
vehicle."

That's in the section that governs the location of propane tanks on RVs. The RVIA follows the rules outlined in NFPA 1192 so that's why you don't see them on the back of trailers.

Now if you want to move your tanks to the rear bumper of your rig, you may be able to. Check with your state, but there's no DOT regulations that I know of that would preclude you from moving the tanks to the rear. You see it all of the time on the back of food trucks. I wouldn't put a tank back there without some form of significant impact protection like a protective cage or a beefier bumper. Something a little more than a ratchet strap.

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI00aTQKVqQ
This is the idea, however how does he get the tanks out to recharge. Has a lot to remove plus additional tongue weight.If I relocate one gas tank to back and keep a spare in my truck weight would be negligible difference to tongue.

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
I have my Honda eu3000i mounted on one of these. Works just fine but I don't have a problem with the additional TW.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Stromberg-Carlson/CC-255.html?feed=npn&gclid=CLmivoyhwcwCFU07gQod9RwHMw

Yes that's what I am thinking.. Thanks for the link. Didn't want to add another 65 70 lbs on the tongue though ?If I put the tanks on the back that would offset the generator weight. But that is a great idea..do you have a picture of your set up Thanks

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
The reason for mounting the propane tank on the rear is to make room for a generator on the front wye . The weight of the two tanks will go rearward and the inverter generator would take their place up front. Tongue weight would not be much increased if at all . Just thinking about it right now, but wondering why you don't see that set up more often.I don't want to mount the genny on the ass due to its weight and bouncing back there.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the weight thing and the difficulty in getting a ruptured cylinder to explode much less catch fire.

I was just wondering why you might want to move them to the back of the trailer. Just asking.

While I cannot say I have ever seen a cylinder mounted on the back by design, I have seen lots and lots of TCs with cylinders on a rear carrier. I think in the sixties and seventies that there was at least one TC manufacturer for every on hundred people in So Cal and most of them lacked sanitary tanks and propane tanks. Most were just outfitted with one five gallon cylinder or even smaller and owners added the carrier in the back for more storage and slipped a cylinder or two back there.

Just my observations.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
They and the battery are heavy. On a trailer you want heavy things toward the front not the back.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
rjxj wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Probably for the same reason your gas tank isn't exposed on the rear of your truck.

Pinto anyone? ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh for heavens sake.

I know the Pinto got a bad rap because it only had one strap holding the tank on and it was a small car.

But, we drove for years in large cars that had the gas tank in the back Where else are you going to put it. Many of my early cars had the gas filler neck behind the rear license plate. You swung the spring loaded license plate holder inward to put gas in.

In a lot of early small cars like the Falcon the floor of the trunk was the top of the gas tank.

My first pickup was a 1970 F250 and the gas tank was behind the seat in the cab of the truck.

The main reason for not putting the propane tanks on the back is simply because there is room on the tong where they fit nicely. Plus, why put the weight on the back when you can have it on the front where it is partly carried by the tow vehicle.

Yeah it wasn't bad. My buddy had one in high school and every time I got in I adjusted the rear view mirror so I could see back there. My head was moving all the time from rear view to side mirror. LOL

What the heck, at least it didn't fall into reverse on it's own and run people over. ๐Ÿ™‚ Hey! I know what to do! Let's send everyone a sticker to put on the dash board that says this vehicle may go into reverse on it's own and possibly kill you. Shut it off before getting out. Never mind the poor sob who may be outside near it. LOL

They say that blooper was Fords big bail out. It would have bankrupted them if they actually had to fix it. So Ford had it's big bail out years ago. Only 100 or so people died. Ford does hold the record number one and two spots of most recalls.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjxj wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Probably for the same reason your gas tank isn't exposed on the rear of your truck.

Pinto anyone? ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh for heavens sake.

I know the Pinto got a bad rap because it only had one strap holding the tank on and it was a small car.

But, we drove for years in large cars that had the gas tank in the back Where else are you going to put it. Many of my early cars had the gas filler neck behind the rear license plate. You swung the spring loaded license plate holder inward to put gas in.

In a lot of early small cars like the Falcon the floor of the trunk was the top of the gas tank.

My first pickup was a 1970 F250 and the gas tank was behind the seat in the cab of the truck.

The main reason for not putting the propane tanks on the back is simply because there is room on the tong where they fit nicely. Plus, why put the weight on the back when you can have it on the front where it is partly carried by the tow vehicle.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
On the other hand maybe it would stop some of the tailgating.

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
I remember we installed natural gas tanks for our pick up trucks. There were all sorts of tests done like dropping them off a crane suspending them 100 feet and dropping them. Couldn't get them to explode. When ignition was added they just did a flash fire then out it went out. No percussion per se.I guess that's why bombers don't use propane or natural gas in their terrorist arsenal.There are certainly a risk on the back end but where aren't they at risk.. If you get hit that hard in the back the driver will be 30 feet in front and more likely to suffer back lash.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Probably have to extend the bumper toward the rear.