Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moving up in the travel trailer age!!!

tjw0099
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!!

It's been a while since I posted. We went from a Pop Up to a 25RKS Jayco Jayfeather and we are selling it the end of September. We already have buyers, so after our Labor Day trip and Bluegrass Festival trip, it's sold.

Our search begins today as we will be 'kicking tires' as my Dad used to call it.

We are looking for 3 slides - 2 living room and 1 bedroom.

I am also upgrading my work truck, which is what I use to pull our current camper. Right now it's an 06 Ram 1500 with the 4.7 8 cylinder gas engine. 245400 miles.

Two questions for input:

1. I am looking at the F250's. Not too concerned about the diesel engines, since the trailers are lighter now a days. However, we do intend to purchase a 5th wheel in 10 - 12 years.

Has anyone had any issues with the F250? I am also considering the Chevy/GMC 2500.

Are there any specific hauling options that I should ask for that aren't standard?

2. The camper we have is 28' frame, 25' living space. We are looking at 32' to 34' frame. Are there any specific items I should be aware of - sub flooring, water lines, etc. We had some good friends purchase a nice 5th wheel and they had a water leak from behind the fridge, which wasn't covered. It was the ice tray water line that cracked and it had been leaking BEHIND the cabinet. They said it was operator failure to winterize the line.

Anyway, just looking for some insight on what would have been nice HAD YOU KNOWN it BEFORE you bought it.

Thanks!

Tom in Gloucester, Virginia
The 2006 Jayco Jayflight
8 REPLIES 8

tjw0099
Explorer
Explorer
The model we are considering is the Jayco 2017 34RSBS.

I am planning on purchasing a Ford F250. Most likely gas, maybe diesel depending on price.

Here's another question that I just thought of:

Are there any back up cameras that come with the campers, like current model vehicles have?

Here are the specs on the camper.

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) View Definition 8600
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) View Definition 1275
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) View Definition 10950
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) View Definition 2350

MEASUREMENTS
Exterior Length 37' 6"
Exterior Width 96"
Exterior Height with A/C 133 1/2"
Interior Height 81"
Wheel Base 292"

TANK CAPACITIES
Fresh Water Capacity (gals) 40
Fresh Water Capacity - 2nd Tank (gals) 40
Water Heater 6
Gray Waste Water Capacity (gals) 39
Gray Waste Water Capacity - 2nd Tank (gals) 39
Black Waste Water Capacity (gals) 39
The 2006 Jayco Jayflight

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
tjw0099 wrote:
We are looking at 32' to 34' frame.

Truck for that size trailer = DIESEL.

Today's larger displacement gas engines will work fine. I have a 3/4T Suburban with 8.1L and though it has 240K plus on the odometer it pulls my 8K, 32' trailer with no issues with just the 4sp transmission.

A F250 with the 6.2L, Chevrolet/GM with 6.0L, or Ram with 6.4L will all work fine on a 250/2500 chassis if properly equipped with tow package.

A diesel would provide more power for towing, but under 10K I think any of the gas models will be fine (though you won't win the race up the hill)

More importantly to figure out is how you will use it when NOT towing.
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

4Kellys
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck the hammer, you have over 3000 in payload with an empty trailer? What's your trucks actual payload?

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled a 28 ft and then a 33 ft TT with a ford excursion It was gas and had no problems towing a TT that size. We traded the TT for a MH so the X can relax with short trips but with about 180,000 miles it still runs fine. Everyone doesn't need a diesel.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
my 2 cents.

my 2012 F 250 Gas, with 145,000 miles tows my 30 foot Heavy trailer at 8,300 empty..

and I also have 2,000 pounds in the bed of the truck.

last trip, truck loaded and trailer is 17,000 pounds, scaled.

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
tjw0099 wrote:
Hi all!!

It's been a while since I posted. We went from a Pop Up to a 25RKS Jayco Jayfeather and we are selling it the end of September. We already have buyers, so after our Labor Day trip and Bluegrass Festival trip, it's sold.

Our search begins today as we will be 'kicking tires' as my Dad used to call it.

We are looking for 3 slides - 2 living room and 1 bedroom.

I am also upgrading my work truck, which is what I use to pull our current camper. Right now it's an 06 Ram 1500 with the 4.7 8 cylinder gas engine. 245400 miles.

Two questions for input:

1. I am looking at the F250's. Not too concerned about the diesel engines, since the trailers are lighter now a days. However, we do intend to purchase a 5th wheel in 10 - 12 years.
For a trailer the size you are talking about, I would look at Diesels. If going the 5vr route, then consider a 350/3500 rather than a 250/2500.

Has anyone had any issues with the F250? I am also considering the Chevy/GMC 2500.
I bought an F250 diesel in 2015. I have had two occurances of the diesel particulate filter getting saturated. Both times, I was 50+ miles from a city with a Ford dealer. So far Ford does not seem to be able to figure this out. Also, a couple of months ago the 4WD low system went out. It is going in for service to fix that next week.
IMO, between the Fed's pollution requirements and the manufacture's constant horsepower/torque wars, modern diesel pickups are not as durable as they should be.

Are there any specific hauling options that I should ask for that aren't standard?
You need to order the towing package, the 5vr prep package, and possibly the camper package. Be careful what you order because the tranny/engine combinations have a big influence on towing capacity. If you are thinking about a large 5vr (35-40ft), then a 350/3500 dually might be in order.

2. The camper we have is 28' frame, 25' living space. We are looking at 32' to 34' frame. Are there any specific items I should be aware of - sub flooring, water lines, etc. We had some good friends purchase a nice 5th wheel and they had a water leak from behind the fridge, which wasn't covered. It was the ice tray water line that cracked and it had been leaking BEHIND the cabinet. They said it was operator failure to winterize the line.

Anyway, just looking for some insight on what would have been nice HAD YOU KNOWN it BEFORE you bought it.

Thanks!

Tom in Gloucester, Virginia
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on my third 250 diesel and love them. While a diesel is not necessary, it certainly makes towing more pleasurable, especially in the terrain of Va.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
tjw0099 wrote:
We are looking at 32' to 34' frame.

Truck for that size trailer = DIESEL.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator