cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mr Buddy Heater Permanent Install?

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Recently was headed out for another trip to Pismo Beach to play with the toys in the Dunes. Sadly the 99 7.3L Super Duty elected to choke on the lift pump from junk in the fuel tank so we only made it to Paso Robles (limped along the highway at 10mph for 20 miles to get to a shop).

At any rate, shop couldn't help us and we stayed the night in their lot. It being cold during our trip, I had decided to bring a Mr. Buddy Heater because the furnace in the camper sucks juice from the battery on cold nights. I setup the heater on the stove top with a propane bottle, cracked a window and a roof vent. Amazing how well it worked! Temps dropped into the 30s overnight and camper stayed in the 70s the whole time with no juice from the battery and hardly any propane used. Clearly this is the most efficient way to stay warm in off-grid situations.

It worked so well I am considering doing a permanent install by taking the heater apart and making my own mounting bracket and heat shield that is a lot narrower and mounting on the backsplash of the stove. I would route a gas line up from the stove to complete the setup.

I know there are a couple of others that use the Buddy Heater. Has any of you taken it apart and done a more permanent install? Please share pics if you did!

As far as the Pismo Trip and the 7.3L... sadly we had to cancel our trip and scramble to get toys and trailer back home. Truck and camper will be towed up on Monday and dropped off at mechanic whom will eliminate screens in the tank and put a new fuel pump work inline fuel filter in place.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
15 REPLIES 15

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If I'm not mistaken both my Buddy Heaters have keyhole slots on the back for hanging them on the wall. I would not be stripping them down for "permanent" installation. They look designed for "permanent" installation as-is. I'd just run a couple of screws into the wall, and hang it.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Interested in how you know the tank screen is plugged.

It is not the screen, but those small filters get clog with shellacs.
Had it on both of my 7.3l and barely visible to naked eye, the stuff clogs the fuel flow.
Was able to fix it on the side of the road though.
As for using Buddy Heater inside, I see no mention about CO and CO2 sensors? Do you have death wish?

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
We bought a lil buddy heater strictly for home backup heat in case of a natural gas failure in the house. (It gets cold here). We ran a few tests and are totally impressed with it. It wonโ€™t keep the house warm but will keep us from freezing.

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
jaycocreek wrote:
The Wave 3 is a good heater but lacks in cold temps imho..I have a buddy/big buddy and a wave 8 at this time..I opted for a 'lil buddy heater over a wave 3 when I bought this TC simply because the wave 3 didn't keep my previous Lance 8.6 warm at all in snowmobile weather.

I have been using the wave 8 in my 9.6 Lance and it does a great job except I think the pad went out on it again..I changed to the little buddy heater early this morning and all is well..I have had three wave heaters that the pads needed replaced..That is the only beef I have with them..I think they are superior to the buddy heaters for RV use but the Buddy heaters work..

Jayco

Interesting that your pads failed. We keep our wave covered when not operational and is inside the cabinet. We have used our wave a LOT over the <>14 years we have had it.

Our BF stays warm in the 20's on high but we set it on low at bed time.

Wow a wave 8 produces some heat!!!!

Well at least you are warm using the buddy.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jaycocreek wrote:
The Wave 3 is a good heater but lacks in cold temps imho..I have a buddy/big buddy and a wave 8 at this time..I opted for a 'lil buddy heater over a wave 3 when I bought this TC simply because the wave 3 didn't keep my previous Lance 8.6 warm at all in snowmobile weather.

I have been using the wave 8 in my 9.6 Lance and it does a great job except I think the pad went out on it again..I changed to the little buddy heater early this morning and all is well..I have had three wave heaters that the pads needed replaced..That is the only beef I have with them..I think they are superior to the buddy heaters for RV use but the Buddy heaters work..

Jayco

Do you think the Wave heaters are poor quality or is there another reason they keep going out? Doesn't seem normal.
Never had one, but have had a Buddy heater that literally bounces around in my snomachine trailer and is now 20 years old. Even the little fan still works and I can't even remember when I changed the batteries last.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer

Jayco
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks all. Didn't even realize there was a Wave 3 on the market. I will take a look and head that direction!

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Interested in how you know the tank screen is plugged.

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would install a Wave 3....

Here is mine done 11 years ago. It still works perfect! Used it on our cross country Thanksgiving trip to Fla..

Bigfootford's Wave3 installation.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sounds like a bad idea. Both form and function.
Too much moisture induced into the enclosure (camper) with regular or prolonged use, and in general, just doesnโ€™t seem like a good idea to gut out the business end and mount it near combustibles.
I recalled you putting a lot of time/effort/$ into your battery system due to your reluctance to use the on board genny, no?
Yet you wonโ€™t use your furnace?

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
And another option that is designed for permanent install - The Vented Cat .
Cal

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
The only problem I have had with the Big Buddy heater is there is NO thermostat. It is either too hot or too cold.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I plumbed in a flexible propane hose from my cooktop for my Camco Olympic Wave 3. The hose has a shutoff valve and quick connect so I can disconnect the Wave 3 and store it when not in use. The Wave 3 gives me very adequate heat.

I looked at Mr Buddy heaters but the Wave 3 was much better for me.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
You will need to remove the regulator from the Buddy. I connected mine with a hose and teed off the line feeding my cooktop.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN