Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my first disappointment

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
2015 ram 3500
took back to dealer because I was looking for the daylight running lights. was told they don't have them.
first time dodge buyer, all my GM trucks, when turned on in gear has running lights on. Not Ram. I was hoping to connect my backup camera to the 5er running lights, guess not.
does anyone drive with the headlights ON, I think it is safer to have a running light
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂
80 REPLIES 80

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
proxim2020 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I run with my fog lights on while towing during daylight that way all lights are working other than headlights.

Same here.

You can turn your fogs on without the low beams?

You can turn them on with only your running lights on.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
thanks spoon059. guess I could just turn on the Headlights or use tape.
didn't know that the DRL only lite headlight. wont do me much good. I am looking at how to tap into a hot line. I did look at tapping into the Battery post with a fuse, pretty simple
thanks again all.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow... this got off track...

OP, did you ever get it figured out? Someone brought up a good point though, DRL will only send a signal to your headlights, not your trailer running lights.

I still think you should try my idea...turn your light switch to AUTO and place a piece of tape over the light sensor. All your lights on, all the time. That provides power to your running lights, therefore a signal that you can use to power your camera. Seems to hit the mark for safety, convenience and capability.

Are there anymore cars on this train track that can be derailed...?
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:
ABS is stupid too, I mean who can't pump a brake pedal.

:B

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
ABS is stupid too, I mean who can't pump a brake pedal.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
transferred wrote:
mich800 wrote:
transferred wrote:
Daytime running lights are neither use nor ornament, particularly the halogen ones. I actually think they are a detrimental to road safety as they give a false sense of a) your headlights actually being on and b) how much they help other vehicles see you. The LED versions are easier to see but, in my opinion, very gauche.

In the interests of safety, just leave your headlights on.

Really, detrimental to road safety. People are subconsciously turning in front of people at unsafe intervals because the other driver should have seen it coming?

Read what I wrote again and this time try to comprehend what was written. It's very clear. I see dozens of cars in heavy rain and fog with just their running lights on, the dash symbol for headlights being on is the same and I think many are mislead by this. So yes, they can be detrimental to road safety. There's a reason many mountain passes say "turn on headlights", they make it almost impossible for cars to blend in with the scenery.

Not sure where I mentioned turning in front of people. Some of you could argue in an empty room, this site is quite a trip 😉

Yes, it actually is clear when you say what you mean. This " I see dozens of cars in heavy rain and fog with just their running lights on" conveys something entirely different message. So if you want to call out my intelligence by your poor communication you may want to rethink that stance.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
DRL are not to see but to be seen.

Headlights are for seeing.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
transferred wrote:
Daytime running lights are neither use nor ornament, particularly the halogen ones. I actually think they are a detrimental to road safety as they give a false sense of a) your headlights actually being on and b) how much they help other vehicles see you. The LED versions are easier to see but, in my opinion, very gauche.

Really, detrimental to road safety. People are subconsciously turning in front of people at unsafe intervals because the other driver should have seen it coming?

Read what I wrote again and this time try to comprehend what was written. It's very clear. I see dozens of cars in heavy rain and fog with just their running lights on, the dash symbol for headlights being on is the same and I think many are mislead by this. So yes, they can be detrimental to road safety. There's a reason many mountain passes say "turn on headlights", they make it almost impossible for cars to blend in with the scenery.

Not sure where I mentioned turning in front of people. Some of you could argue in an empty room, this site is quite a trip 😉
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

soren
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
Who would like some reading?

The conclusions are that DRLs saves lives and injuries.

http://www.swov.eu/rapport/R-97-36.PDF

Unfortunately, the same guys who make silly statements about topics like this, are the same ones who can read a well documented study and say, "nah, I still don't believe it". I have a good buddy who refuses to wear seatbelts since, "you're better off being thrown from the vehicle". This guy is far from an idiot, on most issues, but..............

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like I said in my first post on this subject, Ram trucks have two features that any compentend dealers service can turn on. DRLs and High Idle. Both are worth their weight in gold IMHO. Those that argue against DRLs have never driven in those marginal conditions found north of the border for months at a time. This same BS arguments appeared when seat belts, and air bags appeared. Grow up!

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Who would like some reading?

The conclusions are that DRLs saves lives and injuries.

http://www.swov.eu/rapport/R-97-36.PDF
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I run with my fog lights on while towing during daylight that way all lights are working other than headlights.

Same here.

You can turn your fogs on without the low beams?

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
transferred wrote:

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
No need to have DRL's. They are an unnecessary feature on most cars. Anyone that thinks they feel safer with them on is kidding themselves.

Either way, they can be turned on through the computer by the dealer!

Okay bud, tell you what you need to do. Go get in the drivers seat of a semi pulling a 53' van trailer and take off down the interstate in the rain. Now look out the side mirror at the cars riding beside and behind you and tell me that you don't need headlights turned on in the day time. BTW, I'm not kidding me or anyone else. Maybe you are just one of those drivers that don't look back.

Ummm! We're not talking about headlights on in the rain. We're talking about DRL's during daylight hours no rain. And yes, I'm always looking around me whenever your driving you constantly need to be aware of your surroundings. And I even have a rear view camera, most if not all semis don't have that!

Again even if you see a car ahead with DRL's by the time they get to you, they may inadvertently swerve for what ever reason and cross into your lane at the last second. Now how are DRL's going to help out there!

Not sure about that example. DRL have never been used as an example how not to drive head on into someone. The purpose is to add a little visibility pulling out into traffic, changing lanes, etc. Not avoidance of a driver making poor driving decisions.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Wow I saw a Ram with really bright headlights in town. caught him at stoplight and he said they were fluxbeam-led-headlight bulb h 11
sure were bright.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂