cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My (our) Ultimate Truck Camper Body Build

RICKIM
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let me start by saying that I wouldn’t have built this without my wife’s blessings.
This is something I’ve wanted to build for a few years, and she was on board with it from the start of the thoughts and designs.
We had a 2008 3500 DRW Cummins and 2008 AF 1140 which we’ve had since new.

We’re avid travelers and had put over 125,000 enjoyable miles of fun with the truck and TC. The truck handled it fine but we wanted something with more capacity and piece of mind.
We had upgraded our TC with the same exact AF 1140, only 11 years newer, so
with the larger tanks and new do-dads the new TC had, the longer trips, and more toys we wanted to bring with us, we felt we should start the process for a bigger truck and body.

Now, I looked at flatbeds, flat beds with boxes, aluminum body’s, service body’s, etc.
I called Douglass Truck Body as we liked that style TC bed, as well as two other builders for a cost on what we were looking for, but they were going to need the truck and camper for a minimum of two months.
That was not going to be an option as we live on the east coast and they’re on the west coast, and she was NOT going to have the new truck and new camper out of her sight for that long.

I brought the subject up with a recently “early retired” certified submarine welder friend of ours who wanted something to do so I asked him if he was willing to work with some designs and ideas I had put down on paper, cad, and pictures.
He was on board with the welding and fabing part, now, to make it happen.

I special ordered a RAM 5500, C&C, 60”CA, 4WD, Cummins, Aisin, 19,500 GVW Laramie with all the fixins....Figured this will be the last truck (hopefully) for quite some time so after 9 weeks this is what showed up:

As soon as the truck was in my hands I started ordering all the “stuff” I had in planning.
I found a company from Alabama that would custom make any box, doors, handles, and metal gauges I was looking for.
I needed 16” boxes as I wanted the body width to stay narrower for the camper “wings” in the rear and not interfere with tie-downs.
Started with 1x3 oak, 2x4x1/4 wall on the chassis, and 3” channel for the cross members.

I incorporated the bed and camper tie-downs to the chassis.
I also put recessed pocket tie-downs in the bed for hold downs when I’m using the truck
for things other than traveling with the TC.

Curb and road sides coming together.

More to come...
2018 AF1140DB, 400W solar, Trimetric, Lifeline GPL-31XT’s, rear deck,
2019 5500 Ram Crew, DRW, 6.7L-CTD, Custom TC bed, on board air, Front Rack
48 REPLIES 48

RICKIM
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thank you jimh425

mike/kellie, Already taken care of that, polished stainless and I punched a 2” dimple die around the
marking lights...

Mellow, the air compressor is in the lower front curbside box.
It’s an Extremeaire 1/2 hp 12vdc industrial compressor, 25’ cord-reel, 3 gallon air tank under the rear pass floor, and of course the ever so obnoxious train horns.
I put a 750 watt inverter in there to keep by tool batts charged up.
When I ordered the truck I added the PTO package with it. I was planning on putting a generator/compressor off of it. After I finished throwing up blood on the price I decided
against it and went with this style compressor.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wait a sec....did you add a plate? It's in the interior shot or really reflective paint?
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a beautiful truck body! Douglass did mine and there was aluminum diamond plate riveted to the front of the boxes (where your DEF filler is) which takes the hit for flying debris thrown up by your front tires. It's always something you can add later. The first chip or ding...ouch!
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Man, that’s super nice. Congratulations!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
WOW!! That is one sweet looking setup, very nicely done. You mention air compressor, where did you put that?
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

RICKIM
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you wanting more? Almost done.....

We loaded it back on the truck to take it to the body shop so they could see what they
we’re going to be up against and to color match.
Full bead blast, sealer/primer, body work the welds and seams, Linex in the bed, and on the top of the boxes, as well as inside the fenders. Gladiator undercoating, light gray paint for the box interiors and the three stage color on the exterior.
I originally wanted the Linex underneath the body, but the shop said the gladiator was better suited for all the cracks and crevasses during it’s application as it comes from a smaller nozzle.... nice stuff BTW.

They were up for the challenge, just had a few little odds and ends to finish up and they were getting it in a weeks time.
Needed weep holes inside the light boxes and some welds cleaned up.

Loading it up for the body shop, doors, shelving, and fenders.

I went to see how they were progressing during the stages and grabbed some pics..

After a few weeks and no problems it was time to go pick it up.

After I finished all the wiring it was time to put it on the truck for the last time.

I was itching to get it outside to see how the paint matched up..,.perfect!

Time to put the hinges, doors and hardware on.
Fuel filler necks, gasketing between the skirts and the fenders, shelving, upfitter switching for the interior box lighting, rear rack lighting and air compressor.

That’s about it.
Just need to wait a bit more for the states to open up so we can put it to use.

Thanks for the kind comments guys, if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask and I’ll be happy to answer them.

Stay safe and be well,
Rick and Kim

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Really starting to take shape, you guys do some amazing work. I love the stainless fenders, that will save you a lot of headache down the road, good forethought. I bet that bed is going to last longer than the truck.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, RICKIM and RC are good!

Those of us who moved electrons around on a screen for a living are very jealous of the ingenuity, skill, and workmanship displayed.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Looks like a contest between you n Reality Check for most awesome flatbed build!
Nice work so far!
PS you’re winning based on the truck it’s sitting on alone.....(lol, sorry realitycheck!)
The question is who will score more points?
You for hand fabricated tool boxes, or him for air ride?
This is the kind of stuff I’d do if I had the time....love it!

^^^^
Say what...??? dang, that hurt. I thought we were buddy's...lol.

I love the casters... when I stopped by the Powdercoater, they realized that they had 'misjudged' a bit. Our bed would fit in the oven, only vertically. I had to weld four casters on the bed so they could roll it around. Poly melted right off. I guess the oven is a bit warmer than they said. Had a little touch up after I removed them.

I love your idea with the slip in tubing for the casters. For anyone following this, I assure you this is premium work. What a treat to see. I am waaay more utilitarian and lazy. Love this bed.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

RICKIM
Explorer III
Explorer III
ticki2 asked earlier what the body weighs, the 7 boxes, doors, shelving and hardware shipped at 850lbs, all 14 gauge boxes and 13 gauge doors.
All the steel for the framing, floor (.125), headache rack, step bumper, tubing for tie-downs.....I should just say pretty much 95% of the steel came in at 1,100 lbs.
The truck weighs out at 11,400 now with 75 gallons of fuel, the wife and I and a couple
hundred pounds of “stuff” in the body.

Your going to have to turn your head for a couple of these pics...

One of the companies I do work for is a metal shop.....that’s where all the steel came from, anyway, he bent this up for the rear step and bumper.
The step tread is 10” but the rise in the pic is 20”. Well, after looking at this and thinking about curb departure and such, I cut the rise down to 16” and frenched in the reg. plate,
Cut and boxed the corners of the rear step too,

Time to stiffen it up and also make a receiver out of it.

I liked the look of the frenched in plate so I did the taillights also

The rack is 3/16” wall by 2”x6”. I cut the angles to match the contour of the cab and
Dr. Z welded it together.

I was able to find someone that made the boxes for the taillights and rack lighting instead of fabing them up ourselves.

Stainless fenders were next... not cheap BTW, so we could cut the skirting to match the arch.
The front and rear box supports were cut and welded up. For those wondering, the white color on the steel is zinc oxide spray for welding. That went on before the boxes were welded to the supports for rust prevention between the channel and boxes.

Time to cut the steel for the bed corners and skirts

Floor went in next, cutouts for the bed tie downs and spare tire well were made and welded up.

When this goes to the body shop, we, and the body shop needed a way to move it around.
I had some 750lb casters in the shop so I welded them up with some 2” tubing and incorporated them into the camper tie-down receivers.

I put the backup camera above the plate and gave it a little eyebrow for protection.

Welding up the bottom of the floor to the channels

The list is getting shorter...

Holes were drilled in the four corners and under the rear lighting as well as the headache rack for the marker lights

More to come...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Please keep posting ! I am very interested in the top part of the body, how it will be skinned, sources for doors and windows, etc.

Pretty sure hes plopping an Arctic fox on it, not building the whole camper.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Looks like a contest between you n Reality Check for most awesome flatbed build!
Nice work so far!
PS you’re winning based on the truck it’s sitting on alone.....(lol, sorry realitycheck!)
The question is who will score more points?
You for hand fabricated tool boxes, or him for air ride?
This is the kind of stuff I’d do if I had the time....love it!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good man.. thanks, I'll be following too. Just an absolutely gorgeous rig!
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Subscribed, that is an awesome build. Keep the pictures coming!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Please keep posting ! I am very interested in the top part of the body, how it will be skinned, sources for doors and windows, etc.