cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Traveling Poll, Results.....

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just arrived yesterday in Elkhart, IN the RV Capitol of the world. I traveled from SoCal starting last Wednesday and traveled thru CA, AZ, NM, OK, MO, IL and IN. I noted every RV hauler and hotshotter with a DOT sign on the side of their truck. I assumed it would be RAM, GM and then Ford way last but not so.

Results

RAM 59 Dually's, 5 SRW Total 64

Ford 10 Dually's, 5 SRW Total 15

GM 7 Dually's, 3 SRW Total 10

I stopped counting once I hit Elkhart. I have seen MANY RAM's here since yesterday with a couple fords and GM's.

My experience driving I-5 is different with the vast majority being RAM's and about 1/3 being GM's and near no Fords each trip North and south.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD
126 REPLIES 126

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We get our electric and water from the Public Utility District. The ford trucks were not doing well for them so the ford V-10's started to show up.

We had a few here in Dec and again last week all were V-10's BUT today 2 new Rams with the boom on them and the guys were up in the air fixing something so maybe more Rams will start to show. Of course I am only telling what I have seen and can't see the future. Might not even be a future.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

blt2ski
I actually DROVE thru Tacoma today on way to gig harbor, Bremerton, port Townsend, Poulsbo back to Seattle via a ferry boat.
I was in a freightliner sprinter van. Have driven thru in a Toyota, a number of gm s, even a frod, no dodges yet......guess I've dodged that bullet.....

Oh, it.does not smell.as.bad as it used too. Not as many smelters in town....

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
I don't know anyone from Tacoma, nor their neighbor, whom also would be from Tacoma, that might own a Tacoma, ....but I may, one day...or not....

Jim

That what I say when we have taco's at home. I need another Taco Ma :W

:B..at wiz a 'gud un Rick.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
SouthpawHD wrote:
On my way down the highway, I just saw 3 GMs, 2 Fords, and 1 Ram behind a tow truck....

What does it mean????

ABSO-FRIGGEN-NOTHING!!!!!!

Its gotta be time shut this down by now. What do ya say mods????

I'm actually curious to know what kind of tow truck was pulling the Ram.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
On my way down the highway, I just saw 3 GMs, 2 Fords, and 1 Ram behind a tow truck....

What does it mean????

ABSO-FRIGGEN-NOTHING!!!!!!

Its gotta be time shut this down by now. What do ya say mods????
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
I don't know anyone from Tacoma, nor their neighbor, whom also would be from Tacoma, that might own a Tacoma, ....but I may, one day...or not....

Jim

That what I say when we have taco's at home. I need another Taco Ma :W
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I actually might agree with the OP if it was hot shot drivers only but he mentions RVers also which makes the population size too big."

I "ONLY" counted DOT tagged trucks Hotshotting and hauling RV's. These guys own their trucks and depend on them to do the job.

Agree now?

I might agree but given others observations today I can't. Also you've posted numerous times that you mostly only see Rams at campgrounds which establishes a trend for exaggeration. Again there's no domination by any one brand but your brand is popular so you can rest easy.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
hone eagle wrote:
a lot of threads turn into nonsense ,this was nonsense right from the title on.

Please explain.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
patriotgrunt wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Don't confuse me with real life when I have statistics to back me up. 🙂

Fj12ryder,

Not to hijack this great scientific thread but I just noticed you're in Platte City, MO. I'll be up there mid-June at the Basshaven Resort; how's that campground?

Dave
It's a pretty nice place, maybe starting to show its age a bit, but all in all it's okay. The sites are pretty close together, but you're not right in your neighbors space too much. The pool is nice and they have a spray/fountain area for the kids to run around it. A couple of ponds to fish in and I've seen some people catch fish, but have no idea how big they would be. A mixture of pull-throughs and back-ins.

Oops, just re-read that. Are you referring to "Basswood Resort"? I don't know of one called Basshaven.

Yep Basswood Resort. I had a hard time getting a reservation but it looks like the best campground in the area. Thanks for the feedback. I'll be at Leavenworth next year and I'm looking forward to seeing some new places with the RV.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jtallon wrote:
patriotgrunt wrote:

I actually might agree with the OP if it was hot shot drivers only but he mentions RVers also which makes the population size too big. RVers are not some niche market like some of the examples you use. With the popularity of RVs these days, the market will reflect a closer sampling to what sales figures show.

"I noted every RV hauler and hotshotter with a DOT sign on the side of their truck."

"I did not count anything unless it had a DOT sticker and was actually hauling a load."

Interpretation maybe, but I don't see that RV haulers and hotshotters, with DOT signs, includes regular 'ol RVers. RVers typically aren't sporting DOT signs.

But I guess we're down to semantics at this point...

THANKS! I DID TRY TO MAKE THIS AS CLEAR AS POSSIBLE.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"And he had to quit counting because there were too many Rams to count in Elkhart. Sorry but this is classical trolling. "

Reread what I said! I said I stopped counting when I hit Elkhart. Reason is I could be counting the same truck twice because of local towing.

Please quote me accurately if you are going to do so.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
patriotgrunt wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Don't confuse me with real life when I have statistics to back me up. 🙂

Fj12ryder,

Not to hijack this great scientific thread but I just noticed you're in Platte City, MO. I'll be up there mid-June at the Basshaven Resort; how's that campground?

Dave
It's a pretty nice place, maybe starting to show its age a bit, but all in all it's okay. The sites are pretty close together, but you're not right in your neighbors space too much. The pool is nice and they have a spray/fountain area for the kids to run around it. A couple of ponds to fish in and I've seen some people catch fish, but have no idea how big they would be. A mixture of pull-throughs and back-ins.

Oops, just re-read that. Are you referring to "Basswood Resort"? I don't know of one called Basshaven.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I actually might agree with the OP if it was hot shot drivers only but he mentions RVers also which makes the population size too big."

I "ONLY" counted DOT tagged trucks Hotshotting and hauling RV's. These guys own their trucks and depend on them to do the job.

Agree now?

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
Spent all day today on the road, mostly 2 lane roads but about 1/3 of it was highway/interstate. About 350 miles (+/-) all in North and Northeast FL.

Ram = 9 (5 hauler and 4 personal RV)
Ford = 5 (all haulers...2 of which were 7.3 PSD, 2 were 6.7 PSD and I couldn't see the other one)
GM = 5 (2 hauler and 3 personal RV)

This doesn't correlate with 2014 sales numbers, so my eyes must have been deceiving me 😉

No but they don't represent numbers 6x one brand and 4x another. Or in the case of the OP, 64 out of 89 which equals 72% of observed vehicles. Your numbers are more realistic. 9 Rams out of 19 observed equals 47%. Now out of haulers you observed 12 with 5 for Ram, 5 for Ford, and 2 for GM. That's pretty believable. I also believe you more because you don't have a history of starting brand wars every other day.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Spent all day today on the road, mostly 2 lane roads but about 1/3 of it was highway/interstate. About 350 miles (+/-) all in North and Northeast FL.

Ram = 9 (5 hauler and 4 personal RV)
Ford = 5 (all haulers...2 of which were 7.3 PSD, 2 were 6.7 PSD and I couldn't see the other one)
GM = 5 (2 hauler and 3 personal RV)

This doesn't correlate with 2014 sales numbers, so my eyes must have been deceiving me 😉

edit: I did not count half-ton pickups pulling campers. For that, you can use any brand truck to pull a camper twice as big as you should :B
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF