cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My trip over the Lolo Trail

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also a Nez Perce Indian trail since the beginning of time, this is where Lewis & Clark made their journey across this region. According to their book this was the absolute most difficult part of the entire trip.

Now called the Lolo Motorway, it parallels the original trail and intersects with it at several places. I'd heard that the Feds went in and smoothed the road in anticipation of of the 2005/2006 bicentenial increased traffic and renaming it the Motorway. Well, they may have renamed it but the road is as rough as it has ever been. I do know that the Feds poured money into the counties along this route to ramp up Search and Rescue equipment, overtime for Sheriff's Depts, etc. Then no one came!!! LOL

My first time over the Lolo Trail was in 1957. Yes, it will always be the Lolo Trail to me. This was before US 12 between Kamiah (CAM-e-i) ID and Lolo MT existed. My family lived in N Idaho and we loved to camp/fish White Sands Creek off of Elk Summit road south of the Powell Ranger station. We traveled the Lolo Trail from Weippe (WE-ipe) to the ranger station then out Elk Summit. It took a couple days. After US 12 was put in we could do it in one day!!

I wanted to do this trip for old time sakes as it's been many years since. I thought a lot of my Dad along the way. He taught me so much about camping and fishing, survival in the wilderness, being smart and safe in bear country. I'd also heard a bad fire went thru and wanted to see how bad.

I drove from Boise to Kamiah and left town on Glenwood Road, 22 miles on nice paved road to Lolo Creek Campground on El Dorado Creek. Long day and I was glad to be at the start of my trip.

Campground, dark, deep woods, YES!!!

Crossing over Lolo Creek.

Next day I drove 13 miles over 1 to 1 1/2 lane oiled graveled road to Canyon Jct.

With 5 choices I found lthe road I wanted.

Now the road turned into single lane, rough, rocky and rutty. I only made it 26 miles to Rocky Ridge Lake.

Lake the next morning.

I'm really wishing I had brought my canoe!!

The next 50 miles were mostly deep dark woods with little opportunities for pics but I did get some, especially of the signs.

Finally a smooth stretch of road!!.

Peeking thru some trees.

Some burned area with more rough road ahead.

Pics just don't do justice to how rough and slow going it was.

More peeking thru the trees.

This area is so huge it is inexplicable by me anyway!!

Yaaayyy more slow going!!

You do not want to meet someone on this road. I just finished .8 of a mile I would not want to back around!!.

This is called the Devil's Chair although I don't see it!!

Indian Post Office Lake. I hiked down for two small trout!!

I drove the rest of the trail to US 12 at Powell Ranger Station and camped at Squaw Creek. First, time to break out the Master Bath to get rid of 2 days of trail dust.

Then one of my favorite dinners. Liverworst brats!!

I know. I know, it's a cheapy BBQ but it is my sacrificial BBQ. I keep a very clean camp. Wash dishes after every meal and wipe down table/counters with Lysol wet wipes. Burn all paper (which I use most of). Mr Grizzly comes around he is going for the BBQ vs my camper. Then makes enough noise for me to make ready my bear spray and (hopefully not) my .44.

Next day across US 12 and the Lochsa (LOCK-saw) River to Elk Summit Road. Nearing White Sands Creek which, BTW, has now been renamed to Colt Killed Creek in appreciation of where L&C had to kill a colt to eat to stay alive. (Will still always be White Sands Creek to me). The fire damage is not looking good.

Arriving at "our" camp spot down the left side of the pack bridge has not been used in years. Burned out several years ago and smells the same.

The "new" pack bridge that is not certified safe for animals!! :R

I remember camped there when the mule skinner would load up 12-15 mules loaded with supplies for the lookout and head off across the old bridge.

OK, back up to Elk Summit Road and on to Hoodoo Lake. This is also looking bad.

But by the time I got to the lake it appeared unscathed. Really wishing for my canoe now!!!

Well, that was my trip. The only casualty was the sewer vent pipe cover knocked off by a branch so I guess the canoe wouldn't have made it either!! :B

I never needed 4X4 but high clearance and if hauling heavy like a TC low range is a must.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
49 REPLIES 49

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for taking us along.
magic43

Voyager_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We have been camping up in Idaho off US 12 since the early 70's. Used to cross country ski up there, have camped in the TC and the Fiver many times. Never disappointed. Lots of official Forest Service campgrounds not too far off the highway, and countless spots for a TC to camp. Fantastic mountain biking.

Before the wolves took over, we used to see elk and moose crash across the side roads ahead of us all the time. On hikes, we have come within ten feet of bull moose. He seemed embarresed that we got that close before he detected us, and we were delighted that he chose to run.

There are places up there where one can get near the top and look off to the great distant horizon and see nothing but unbroken mountains and forest. It is a special place.

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
ReneeG wrote:
b - thanks for the feedback. I'll look up PLB devices.
a new thread would be good, as their are new developments on PLBs. Here is place to start; PLB Clicky

Also, an emergency call list, is a good thing to have as well, and a card to carry on your person, if found by emergency personnel on the side of the highway, or trail. All in the upcoming Truck Camping Magazine Article.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
b - thanks for the feedback. I'll look up PLB devices.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
ReneeG wrote:
bka0721 wrote:
Fabulous trip, photos, narrative, well EVERYTHING! Thanks for taking the time, after jarring your back up that road, to do this report. Glad to see you are out exploring. Didn't notice anyone out in the area you were traveling. As you know, that is a prime objective for some of us.

Still stumbling around up north, hope to connect as I head south for the winter. Stay safe.

b

The comment on not noticing anyone out there made me wonder if you have an alternate form of communication on hand in case of an emergency? One of the things DH was gong to do for our trip on the Magruder Road was to get a ham radio license and take a radio along.
This is a good question, Renee, and DJ is the person that can best answer this one, too. A few years ago, DJ had a motorcycle "stumble" that had many of us thinking more about this very question. Rather than spend time on this Trip Report thread, you might start a new thread on this very subject. I am sure many would benefit from the results of other's comments. There is also an article coming up in Truck Camping Magazine, that you might be interested in, as well, on Personal Safety.

While I am not familiar with Ham Radios and their capabilities, there are PLB devices that are quite useful and used by many, here in this forum.

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721 wrote:
Fabulous trip, photos, narrative, well EVERYTHING! Thanks for taking the time, after jarring your back up that road, to do this report. Glad to see you are out exploring. Didn't notice anyone out in the area you were traveling. As you know, that is a prime objective for some of us.

Still stumbling around up north, hope to connect as I head south for the winter. Stay safe.

b

The comment on not noticing anyone out there made me wonder if you have an alternate form of communication on hand in case of an emergency? One of the things DH was gong to do for our trip on the Magruder Road was to get a ham radio license and take a radio along.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Wow , Great pictures ,good report. Makes me miss the mountains.
Thanks for sharing.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Yay! What a great time in some BEAUTIFUL country! Love the sacrificial BBQ... great idea! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
Awesome trip report.

I love that area. I've fished Lolo Creek as well as the Lochsa.

Beautiful country. Thanks.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:
It was jefe winching himself out. Went too early, too much snow!!

We drove through Lolo Pass on US 12 on April 4th this year.

Snow cuts along the highway right at the pass were over six feet deep each side of the road, maybe even a little deeper in places.

Yeah, too much snow indeed!
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
ReneeG wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:
jefe 4x4 wrote:
Good report. It is good to see the 'trip that never was' for us. It looks like a rough road endurance contest to me. Fire aftermath and all, this is a special trip through history.
Thanks again DJ.
jefe

I didn't go any too early. Still snow in the ditches. Also saw some strange tracks at one intersection. Looked like a rig with WIDE tires being drug sideways!!! :B

Maybe it slid.

It was jefe winching himself out. Went too early, too much snow!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:
jefe 4x4 wrote:
Good report. It is good to see the 'trip that never was' for us. It looks like a rough road endurance contest to me. Fire aftermath and all, this is a special trip through history.
Thanks again DJ.
jefe

I didn't go any too early. Still snow in the ditches. Also saw some strange tracks at one intersection. Looked like a rig with WIDE tires being drug sideways!!! :B

Maybe it slid.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jefe 4x4 wrote:
Thanks again DJ.
jefe