cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need 8' horse stall mat

kylekai
Explorer
Explorer
I want to put my camper on a good thick mat, and I can find a lot of 4x6 horse stall mats, but can't locate a decent 4x8 horse stall mat, preferably 3/4" Anyone know where I can order a 4' x 8' horse stall mat (or similar)? Extra points if I can get it near San Diego!
15 REPLIES 15

KansasKen
Explorer
Explorer
Personally it is all about friction for me, since I have occasion to back down some pretty steep boat ramps with my Host Everest on. I had my bed spray lined which has a rough surface and use 4x8x1" rubber stall mat that I purchased from Tractor Supply (should be available at any farm store that has horse related supplies). Yes it was heavy but it definitely does what I want it to.
2011 Host Everest Triple & F350 Crew DRW 4x4 Diesel (both loaded see profile)

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
kylekai wrote:
Bigimac wrote:
"As far as mats are concerned, I was also going to go this route until I read about using a 2" thick, 4x8 sheet of Owens Corning Rigid Foam Board Insulation. I cut it to the truck bed size and my TC rests perfectly on it. "

I never thought of rigid foam board insulation. I can get what I want for $16 at Home Depot. Are there disadvantages to rigid foam board insulation?

Yes you can distort the bottom of the camper because the heavier, stronger sides will dimple down into the rigid foam insulation while the middle can get pushed upward. Thus potentially damaging the camper bottom. Better to have flat strong platform with thinner truck bed mat and strips of plywood underneath.

kylekai
Explorer
Explorer
Bigimac wrote:
"As far as mats are concerned, I was also going to go this route until I read about using a 2" thick, 4x8 sheet of Owens Corning Rigid Foam Board Insulation. I cut it to the truck bed size and my TC rests perfectly on it. "

I never thought of rigid foam board insulation. I can get what I want for $16 at Home Depot. Are there disadvantages to rigid foam board insulation?

Bigimac
Explorer
Explorer
Just order 4x8 from amazon for m full bed - $35 free delivery. An hour or so after the order shipped ... albackore responded to my thread (http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27059189/srt/pa/pging/1/page/2.cfm)

2013 Capri Sportsman Grande
2015 Chevy Crew cab 3500HD SWD gasser
Toyo Open Ctry ATII 275 70R/18
10150# loaded; 10.5 mpg @ 70mph

CORNFED__5-0_
Explorer
Explorer
Mats for less in Norco,Ca. Randy has a lot of that stuff and he has inter locking mats. I, As the owner of feed, pet and animal supply stores I will tell you that a 4X8X3/4 mat can weigh 200 plus pounds. Get two 4X4 inter locking mats. Much easier to handle.
Ruby Red 2016 F450 Crew-cab, 2008, 36' Cardinal.
Two daughters, Wife and me.

Retired with no free time!

ON THE SQUARE

Cyborgie
Explorer
Explorer
Cow mats at any farm store.

kylekai
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
Horse stall mats are so dog gone heavy. So why wouldn't you want just a normal truck bed mat that you don't have to muscle/man handle around every once in awhile? Let alone handling an 8 footer:eeeek

Good point. I didn't know they were so heavy. I was told to get one by the camper manufacture. I now have a regular 3/8" truck bed mat and 3/8" plywood on top of the mat. But I was told the camper slides around too much on the wood, hence I should get a thick horse stall mat instead. But now I think I could simply get another truck bed mat to put on top of the existing truck bed mat for a total of 3/4" of truck bed mat. Think that would work?

And thanks to everyone who has made suggestions.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Horse stall mats are so dog gone heavy.

So why wouldn't you just want a normal truck bed mat that you don't have to muscle/man handle around every once in awhile? Let alone handling an 8 footer :E eeeek

trails2004
Explorer
Explorer
kylekai wrote:
I want to put my camper on a good thick mat, and I can find a lot of 4x6 horse stall mats, but can't locate a decent 4x8 horse stall mat, preferably 3/4" Anyone know where I can order a 4' x 8' horse stall mat (or similar)? Extra points if I can get it near San Diego!

When you find a 4 x 8 mat- you may consider cutting it in half. They can be a tad on bulky / heavy side- from one who knows ๐Ÿ™‚

Have you looked at a horse feed store in your area? Shipping maybe costly.

Is this store in your area? - Ranch Feed & Pet Supply / Double D Feed Supply-

MTRhino
Explorer
Explorer
I also use two of the 4X6 mats from Tractor Supply. I put them in crosswise and cut out around the fender wells with a jigsaw.
Central Montana
66 Jeep CJ5 (toy)
97 Glastron GS205 inboard boat (toy)
03 Bigfoot 25C9.6 truck camper(toybox)
06 PJ car trailer (toy hauler)
10 Chev 3500 ext-cab longbox (toy hauler)
11 Polaris RZR (toy)
12 Beta 450RR dualsport motorcycle (toy)
Next toy = :h

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought one from WILCO
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Home Depot is selling inter locking mats made from ground up car tires. They are about 1/2 inch thick, and about 18inches square. Cost $8 each, I have seen them being used under camper wheels and jacks. You could put them together to make any size you want
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
I originally used a 4X6 mat lengthwise in the bed and added a 2' section, but have had an issue of camper moving around, some of which I believe was caused by the mat being able to move around as well. Changed to two 4X6 mats cut around the fender wells laid crossways and haven't had near the movement that I had with the lengthwise arrangement. You might want to consider this method which cost me $80 for two mats from our local Tractor Supply Co.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

kylekai
Explorer
Explorer
I sent them an email. Thanks!