cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need good windshield, wiper blade cleaner

maxwell11
Explorer
Explorer
it rained tonight for the first time in seems like forever.

was driving home and the windshield is covered in bug slime, road grime, whatever,

the windshield washer material only seemed to smear it worst.

need to give the windshield and wiper blades a good deep cleaning tomorrow.

any suggestions for a good cleaner to use that will not leave streaks across the windshield at night in the rain.

thanks,
17 REPLIES 17

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the Coke. Dad taught me that trick 45 years ago and it works every time.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I'll assume that you have good wiper blades, but if you haven't replaced for awhile, I just put on Bosch Icon and I'm really happy with them. I had put on RainX blades but they were so noisy I couldn't stand them. The originals lasted longer than I've ever left blades on a car, 2 years. I've always changed every 6 months. I've read that the Icons might last much longer as well, and they make NO noise, and NO streaks or film. They're pricey but worth it.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
I use alcohol wipes.

Not on the wiper blades, it/they will dry the rubber out!

Use dawn dish soap diluted in water. Remove the blades and using a clean rag gently wipe the whole wiper blade down. Rinse off with garden hose and they are ready to reinstall. As for the windshield, the alcohol wipes would work or any good cleaner like Windex.

If you have a bodyshop near you you might ask them if you can buy a small amount of paint prep (wax and grease remover). Add a small amount to a clean cotton rag and wipe the windshield down. if you go with the last idea MAKE SURE you do not get any of it on the paint. As the name suggests it will remove the wax and I mean right now!

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
After driving Class 8 trucks several million (3) miles I learned to carry cold coffee or a coke and when it starts to rain pour it on the windshield. Cleans greasy Mosquitoes off. You can use winzex and then put Rainx on if you like. I've been on the road at night in a state like Ne where it's dark and met another vehicle, with Rainx on my windshield and was surprised to find it raining. It is sort of a hassle as you have to really clean with Windex and then put on 2 coats of it and polish it.

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
Clay bar the windshield
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
When I was working part time service station as a kid in the days before windshield washers, we used to use CocaCola. When some one pulled in at the pumps and complained about glare and a smeared WS we would ask for a nickel to get a coke from the machine ( told you it was long ago ) and use that to clean. Actually worked very well. And was always good for a two-bit tip.
Art.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Wally World washer juice, cheap and does as well as anything out there for not a lot of money. Clean wiper blades? Nah, I replace them on all my vehicles twice a year. Florida ain't kind to wiper blades no matter what you do to/with them.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wnjj wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
The original good ol "20-10" For summer buy the one gallon concentrate and save $$$

I've had good luck with 20-10 also.

Been using it since the 70's when I started driving. I have tried Rainex and others and it just PIZZED me off!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Gryphonguy
Explorer
Explorer
For bugs, I use dryer sheets when washing my vehicles. They work for the windshield and the front of your vehicle. They soften them and are slightly abrasive. I follow that up with a general washing.
2005 GMC Sierra 2500 D/A
2005 Jayco Jayflight 29BHS

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
The original good ol "20-10" For summer buy the one gallon concentrate and save $$$

I've had good luck with 20-10 also.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Use Prestone bug wash in the resevoir from now on and you wont have that problem.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a video years back about testing wiper blades. They used Bon Ami to clean the windshield between tests, claiming it worked effectively but didn't scratch the glass.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

maxwell11
Explorer
Explorer
thanks all for your reply's,

I will be on it tomorrow, very unsafe driving at night when the windshield is slicked over with who knows what.

though getting some rain sure was nice,