cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help understanding all the numbers

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have a truck or TT right now, but expect to buy both in the next couple of weeks. Not dead set on specifics of either, but here is what we are liking, weight wise.
TT1 5,585
TT2 6700
TT3 7629
I'm assuming these are dry weights - that's all I can see from the web site.

The truck I've found that I really like is a 2015 Ram 1500 Sport with the hemi. I did a vin search and found tons of info but I don't know how to decode it to know what it'll really do.
Curb wt front 3183
Curb wt rear 2301
GVWR cap 6900
Gross combined weight rating 13800
Dead wt hitch - max trailer wt 7940
Dead wt hitch - max tongue wt 794
Wt distributing hitch max trailer wt 7940
Wt distributing hitch max tongue wt 1191
Maximum trailering capacity 7940
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 CC CTD
B&W Patriot 16K
2017 Forest River Surveyor 299RLOK
19 REPLIES 19

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
rctoyguy wrote:
It stinks though because I liked the look, ride, interior, and sound of that Hemi 1500 a lot.

The Ram 2500 has the 6.4L Hemi option :B with a pretty soft ride so I've heard :W

Before buying my current Silverado 2500, I test rode the Ram 2500 two different times, and really felt like both trucks were pretty close to the same. However, neither truck rides quite as nice as a half ton. But they're trucks, so it is what it is.

As the poster above me said, buying too small can lead you to buying bigger later, and being sad... I got lucky, I got what I paid for my half ton on a trade to my 2500, but it could have been a costly change. So be sure to study the numbers on the TT and the truck ahead of time so that you know what you are getting into.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We're running a 2015 Chevy 2500 w/6.0 gas and 4:10 RE ... it gets good mileage around town empty, but is a large truck, harder to park etc in town, but a real work horse on the road.

I had the 6.0 before with a 4 speed and 3:73 and it was OK, did the job, but now the 4:10 with the six gears hauls right along. We don't tow a TT, but we haul a 3500 lbs Truck Camper, and often a 3500 lb cargo trailer.

We personally believe the diesel is a lot of money and power for a small TT, and the gas engine will work fine. Nothing against diesel owners, they really do the job too. But the extra expense is a lot if you don't need all that power.

I totally agree with the above -- don't get too small a truck, if you max out this one now (not a good idea anyway), and go to a different TT later, then you will need a bigger truck at that time. The difference between 1500 and 2500 (or 150 / 250) is not that significant in cost or maintenance ... A truck is a truck, not a run-around car - so, if you need a truck, buy one that will do the job and you won't regret it later...

Ask me how I know???
In 2003 we bought a 1500 GMC, six months later, bought a 2500 GMC and left an extra $5000 on the table when we traded in the 1500 only six months old ... not a smile on our faces that day.

The 6.0 w/4:10 will give you all the power you need, and makes a good run around truck when you need it. We have a small SUV for all town stuff that needs no truck. Good Luck ! B & G
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
rctoyguy wrote:
It stinks though because I liked the look, ride, interior, and sound of that Hemi 1500 a lot.

The Ram 2500 has the 6.4L Hemi option :B with a pretty soft ride so I've heard :W
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The real bug in this whole towing game is the one most easily comprehended and least understood "Tow rating". It send us to the showroom every time they say a half ton can tow 12,000 pounds and we don't read the fine print until later. Those tow ratings have as much to do with real world travel trailer towing as I do with being President. It is actually the last number to consider after all others have been evaluated.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
In short, a new 5.7 Hemi will tow any of those ok form a power standpoint. You're limited on tongue weight which is considered part of your payload number, but with a wdh you can do the lighter trailer for sure, heavier ones will take a little suspension work to the truck even with a wdh.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
First, look at the weights PLUS the carrying capacity for the trailers you are looking at. Ignore dry weights by themselves. Plan to load the trailer up to it's max weight and base your truck decision off of that.

My trailer is ~6,600lb dry plus 1,600lb carrying for a total of 8,200. I have been over that by ~100 lbs after 10 days in wine country.

I tried looking for a F150 with the payload package, and they were not anywhere to be found. My GMC can pull 10,900 and has a payload just over 2,000. With a tongue weight ~1,000 (as per a scale) I still have 1,000 for me, the wife, 2 small dogs and some camping gear. I didn't want a 3/4 ton as this is my daily driver and I like the ride of the 1/2 ton better.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Test drive a GM 2500HD. You will find that it rides and handles about the same as beefed up half ton models. Payload with the gas engine will often be double that of the average 1500 or F-150.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
HP and torque aren't the limiting factors on half tons, it's payload and axle ratings that hold them back. And soft suspensions.

I'd go check out a Ram 2500 if I were you. I've had the truck in my sig since last June and it's a great daily driver, family hauler and tow vehicle. It's a very comfortable truck to use on a daily basis. I went with a diesel but you can get a gas one for about what you'd spend on an equivalent trimmed half ton. I'm a big proponent of heavy duty pickups if there's much in the way of towing planned - they're vastly better in that regard. Any of the three brands make good heavy duty trucks, but the Super Duty is a little long in the tooth at this point.

If you decide to go with a half ton instead, I'd get an F150 with the 3.5 Eco and all the payload/towing packages. They seem to be rated the highest and they're nice pickups as half tons go.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Why are the Ram 1500s rated this low? The HP and Torque numbers are good enough aren't they? Shifting my focus to either an F150 or Ram 2500 (torn between ecoboost and 5.0 - and like the Ram2500 much better than F250). It stinks though because I liked the look, ride, interior, and sound of that Hemi 1500 a lot.
B&W Patriot 16K

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I hadn't thought about these being "large" TTs, but I guess they are. It's just me, wife, and 11 y/o son but in looking at campers we get drawn into the bigger/nicer ones pretty quickly.
Still not sure what to do but I really appreciate all of the insight.
B&W Patriot 16K

drittal
Explorer
Explorer
Don't rule out a GM or Ford with max trailer. It's not like the trailers you are looking at are beyond the capability of all 150/1500. Ram just has really low payload in their 1500. A properly equipped Ecoboost or chevy 6.2 8 speed would tow the **** out of a 7,000lb trailer and give you better empty ride and mileage than any 2500.

I tow with a Ram gas 2500. My toy hauler is 8k empty and 11k loaded up. Needed the payload as it has over 1600 lb tongue weight. Tows it just fine. Not as well as a diesel does, but I didn't expect it to. Empty ride is harsh compared to my 2012 f150 and mpg is 2mpg worse.

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
rctoyguy wrote:
I was afraid y'all would say this. I really like this truck but if it won't work, it won't work. I only expect to pull the TT occasionally, but I don't want any drama when I do.
What's the general thought on 3/4 ton gassers?

For the weight you are asking about pulling, it would be a perfect setup. None of the listed trailers above would be too much. Every one of the big three's gas engines would have plenty of power. The only thing negative I can say about the gas engines is you have to let them rev to make power. Revving makes noise, and I personally hate that, hence the reason I went diesel after a while. The other big thing is to make sure you are getting the right gears with the gas engine. I personally would get the lowest gear possible, usually 4.10 or 4.30 depending on the make of truck.

I have been in you're shoes and went the half ton route with our first trailer. It was a 26ft bunkhouse, and with two kids a dog, and wife it was too much for the truck. I was overloaded for sure. We thought we wouldn't load up much stuff in the trailer, but once you see how easy it is especially with kids to take every thing under the sun you will want as much payload as you possibly can. My next truck will be a single rear wheel one ton due to this same issue with our current trailer.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I was afraid y'all would say this. I really like this truck but if it won't work, it won't work. I only expect to pull the TT occasionally, but I don't want any drama when I do.
What's the general thought on 3/4 ton gassers?
B&W Patriot 16K

drittal
Explorer
Explorer
rctoyguy wrote:
What is the maximum trailering capacity 7940 telling me? I figured that meant loaded trailer 7940 pounds regardless of what's in the truck.

Key word maximum. I believe it is GCWR minus weight of truck with full tank of fuel and 150lb driver and passenger. Anything you put in or on your vehicle beyond that will reduce your rating by that much.

Family of 4 with 2 kids under 6 and a medium size dog with only accessories on the truck being side steps, bed cover, and bed mat takes up 700lbs.