cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need new tow vehicle suggestions

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
I currently own a base model 2009 Tacoma 6cyl 4X4. I am a long time Toyota guy and this is my 5th on in 30 years of driving. I love the way they drive, feel, solidness, and how bomb proof they are. When I ride in friends Chevy and Ford trucks they seem to rattle more and just don't feel as solid.

We just purchase a Trailmanor 2720SL camper that the dry weight is around 2800 lbs. My truck is the base package without the tow package. So currently only has a 3500 lb towing capacity. So I would be close to that capacity with actual weight. My truck only has a payload of about 1600 lbs and with the gas, 2 people, extra **** we load in the bed, camper shell, and tongue weight we are going to be pushing the total payload and tow capacity.

Since I have had this truck for 6 years I thought about trading it in. Thought about going up to the Tundra but the gas mileage sucks on it and since this will be my daily driver as well I would like something with a little better gas mileage than the Tundra since I put about 20,000 miles per year on my truck.

When I got to looking around I found some reviews on the new Colorado diesel that is coming out in 2016. Love the idea of a midsize truck that pulls as good as it will and the gas mileage they are expecting. It also will retail for about what a new Tacoma with the tow package will retail.

I currently get about 22 mpg in my Tacoma (not towing) and really don't want to go backwards on mileage. However, I want a truck that can hold up to the miles I put on one. I usually run my trucks to about 150,000 before I trade them in on a newer model.

Give me some suggestions on trucks to look at and if you own one what mileage you are getting.

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bowfreak, I'd say the experience with your 96 Chebby was a freak.....occurrence.
I and my family have drove the wheels off of a few 90s GM pickups. Both tbi and Vortecs. They are/were some of the toughest most reliable pickups made IMO.
Don't let that experience sway your decision 20 yrs later.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bowfreak wrote:
Well I get the itch for something new in 5 - 6 years. I also know that at 150,000 miles a Toyota is just getting broke in. I read post on here all the time about how well this truck or that truck has held up with now problems and it's 10 years old. Then they mention it has 50,000 - 60,000 miles on it.

I had a 96 Chevy and it was in the shop 7 times in 9 months and it had less than 36,000 miles. Transmission leak, head gasket leak, door panels coming loose, etc.

And while I love the looks of the new Fords you can't compare to a Toyota in just the solidness of the truck. Just do a door test. Get inside one and slam the door and then do the same in a Toyota. Or drive down a washboard gravel road and what how much the inside of the truck shakes compared to a Toyota.

And then let's talk resale value. I paid $25,000 for mine new in 2009. I have 120,000 and it's Blue Booking at $17,000.

Terryallan wrote:
5th truck n 30 years? You need to get better trucks. You are only getting an average of 6 years to each truck. That is NOTHING. A waste of money and time.

I am only on my 3rd Ford truck in 40 years. You need to step up to a higher quality, and more reliable truck.

True. Can't compare a Toy to a Ford. Toy not in the major leagues like Ford. Toys are still in Triple A.

as for resale Value. Mine sold new in 2003 for 30K. Now worth 14K. Not too bad for a 12 so to be 13 year old truck, and it looks like new as well.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
Well I get the itch for something new in 5 - 6 years. I also know that at 150,000 miles a Toyota is just getting broke in. I read post on here all the time about how well this truck or that truck has held up with now problems and it's 10 years old. Then they mention it has 50,000 - 60,000 miles on it and I think well it better have held up with on that many miles on it.

I had a 96 Chevy and it was in the shop 7 times in 9 months and it had less than 36,000 miles. Transmission leak, head gasket leak, door panels coming loose, etc.

And while I love the looks of the new Fords you can't compare to a Toyota in just the solidness of the truck. Just do a door test. Get inside one and slam the door and then do the same in a Toyota. Or drive down a washboard gravel road and watch how much the inside of the truck shakes compared to a Toyota.

And then let's talk resale value. I paid $25,000 for mine new in 2009. I have 120,000 and it's Blue Booking at $17,000.

Terryallan wrote:
5th truck n 30 years? You need to get better trucks. You are only getting an average of 6 years to each truck. That is NOTHING. A waste of money and time.

I am only on my 3rd Ford truck in 40 years. You need to step up to a higher quality, and more reliable truck.

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
Your probably right. I would like to like something else and really like the style of the Colorado. Then when I seen the diesel version and the gas mileage it's going to get it really got me interested.

camp-n-family wrote:
You've had good experience with the Taco so why change? You know you'll like it, it's reliable and decent on gas. A '16 will exceed you're needs so why risk getting something you may not be happy with?

The Colorado looks like a nice little truck and gets good initial reviews but it, and the new diesel, are unproven. Do you really want an all new vehicle in the 1st year before they can get all the bugs out?

Just the quality, reliability, and resale value over the others would put me back in a Toyota. I traded my trusty Tundra on a Ram 2500 last year. Worst decision I ever made.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I think Tacoma's are JUNK! ๐Ÿ™‚
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
You've had good experience with the Taco so why change? You know you'll like it, it's reliable and decent on gas. A '16 will exceed you're needs so why risk getting something you may not be happy with?

The Colorado looks like a nice little truck and gets good initial reviews but it, and the new diesel, are unproven. Do you really want an all new vehicle in the 1st year before they can get all the bugs out?

Just the quality, reliability, and resale value over the others would put me back in a Toyota. I traded my trusty Tundra on a Ram 2500 last year. Worst decision I ever made.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
If that's all you've done in 120k miles you've probably blown off a ton of scheduled maintenance items. Among important items, I can't imagine you're still supposed to be using the original fluids in your differentials, transmission and transfer case. You're likely also overdue for spark plugs and I don't imagine your belts are in great shape.

I think those early fluid changes are critical cause that's when the majority of your filings are developed. I still do the regular changes at subsequent intervals but they tend to have cleaner looking used fluids.

Bowfreak wrote:
I like the looks of the new Fords, but every I get in one and just shut the door they don't sound as solid as my Toyota.

For comparison I am at 120,000 miles on my Tacoma and have yet to even need to change the brakes. Other than oil, oil filter, and air filter I never have to change anything out on them. Sill have 50% tread on the 2nd set of tires. I am just worried I am going to be let down by Chevy, Ford, or Dodge.

IdaD wrote:
The gas V6 in the Colorado has a really bad reputation, so just an FYI. Between the two, I would personally prefer the Taco even if it is an older design. They are solid trucks and I think a V6 model would pull that trailer well. I think your mileage would decline compared to your current Taco, though.

If I were you I would also at least drive an F150 to compare them. They don't cost much more but are roomier and more capable, and probably not any worse on gas with the lower trim engines. If I were buying a half ton right now I think I'd take an F150 over the other options.

I wanted a truck, through. :B
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
I like the looks of the new Fords, but every I get in one and just shut the door they don't sound as solid as my Toyota.

For comparison I am at 120,000 miles on my Tacoma and have yet to even need to change the brakes. Other than oil, oil filter, and air filter I never have to change anything out on them. Sill have 50% tread on the 2nd set of tires. I am just worried I am going to be let down by Chevy, Ford, or Dodge.

IdaD wrote:
The gas V6 in the Colorado has a really bad reputation, so just an FYI. Between the two, I would personally prefer the Taco even if it is an older design. They are solid trucks and I think a V6 model would pull that trailer well. I think your mileage would decline compared to your current Taco, though.

If I were you I would also at least drive an F150 to compare them. They don't cost much more but are roomier and more capable, and probably not any worse on gas with the lower trim engines. If I were buying a half ton right now I think I'd take an F150 over the other options.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
The Colorado has a decent motor. It is a version of the VM Motori A428. My liberty has the VM Motori R428 motor, and pulled a full profile HTT without major issues, including 3500 miles in 2 weeks this summer.

I will throw out the Ram 1500 EcoD and V6 Pentastar motors. The Ram rides great (even better with air ride). The Pentastar is a decent motor, and should do fine with a trailmanor. The EcoD will do better, but more expensive. Some will argue about the payload. Towing my HTT, full load of people, and stuff from the bed that use to be in the camper with the liberty, I am probably over payload. But, I am waiting to hear someone say that it is more safe for me to tow with the Jeep at GVW than with the Ram slightly over GVW.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
That is why I said it would be pushing the 35000 tow capacity as I knew all the extra stuff would add up from the dry weight to push the 3500 total tow capacity. The 3500 lb rating is because it's the base model and didn't have the tow package which takes it up 2000 lbs. the only thing the tow package adds is hitch, 7 pin plug, engine and transmission cooler, heavier battery and alternator. I have already installed the correct hitch, added 1500 lbs helper springs, brake assist, and a 7 pin harness. I can add a engine/transmission cooler for around $175 if I do it myself.

With that being said the new 2016 Tacoma with the tow package installed from the factory has a 6800 lb tow capacity and a 1440 lb payload

Dry weight of my truck is just under 41000 lbs. GVW max for my truck from the sticker on the door jamb is 5700 lbs which is right at 1600 lbs for payload. It also matches my owners manual.

So a new Tacoma would be an option.

Please keep in mind this is a Trailmanor hard sided pop up so it doesn't tow like most travel trailers.

SouthpawHD wrote:
First of all, you can't use the dry weight of the trailer - there's propane, battery, water, gear, etc that you will be traveling with. The dry weight is the weight from the factory before anything is added to it. No one travels dry.

So let's assume you travel light and add a mere 700 pounds to that dry weight, for a total of 3500 pounds. Assume 12% tongue weight (12% is standard) and you'll be around 420 pounds tongue weight. Now add maybe 400 pounds of human weight, 300 pounds of stuff in the truck and you'll easily be around 1,100 pounds of payload.

Does your Tacoma really have 1600 pounds of payload???? That amount is better than some 1/2 tons.

So with that, I think 1600 of payload capacity is acceptable (however, I do not believe your Tacoma has enough power to adequately pull all that or enough braking capability to stop all that), but it all depends on how much you pack and how many passengers you have. I would definitely be looking at 1/2 ton trucks and the Tundra is a fine truck for that (but they do suck the gas).

FWIW, I get about 14-16 MPG (combined) in my 5.3L GMC Sierra. I can get in excess of 20MPG on the highway. About 10-12 towing.

Good luck with your search.

Dave_Jeanette
Explorer
Explorer
I just sold my 2010 Tundra DC SR5 to get a 1 ton dually diesel due to the 5th wheel I am purchasing. My Tundra with tow package and 5.7 got 16 to 17 MPG around town and I could squeeze 20 to 21 out of it on the highway if I kept my right foot under control.
And the Tundra does make a great daily driver.

Towing the trailer it got between 8 and 10 MPG, but I don't think the TrailManor will bite into the mileage that much as it does not have the huge sail effect of a regular trailer.
2015 Ford F350 CC DRW 6.7L PS Diesel
2016 Grand Design Solitude 379FL

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I have a diesel truck I use to tow our trailer and use a Toyota Avalon as my daily driver...best of both worlds.