cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to have two holes in my roof repaired - Jayco 1206

mwb521
Explorer
Explorer
I was heartbroken to find out during this last weekend camping trip that somehow two holes about the size of a hammer head were made in my tent trailer roof. One went clear through and allowed water to leak inside.

I need to find a reputable repair facility in Orange County, CA. Any good ideas?

Any ideas will be very helpful!

I have learned a lot from all of you over these may years...
10 REPLIES 10

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely go with the Eternabond on the top but you need to fill in the hole with something to give the Eternabond support underneath it. Fill it with two-part epoxy or something so you end up with a surface relatively level with the roof.

Some people use white caulk (nothing found in a hardware or big box store, use dicor or similar from RV dealer) to go around the edges of the Eternabond to dress it up. Personally, I don't care as I know it's doing its job well.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
Do like i did years ago on my first pup...... cut a hole in theroof and added a vent
2017 Jayflight 26BH Elite

mwb521
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help! I used the EternaBond patch kit and it worked out easily and nicely.

Thanks for all the good ideas!

luckyscroller78
Explorer
Explorer
I know the awning through the roof thing as well. My fix..... A piece of plexiglass about 3 or 4 inches bigger than the affected area. I filled the hole with clear silicone, and put a fat bead of silicone around the plexiglass about 1/2 inch in the from the edges. Then I placed that directly over the hole, and weighted it down with enough pressure to squish the silicone out along the edges of plexi, and I fingered a nice radius on it and let it dry.It wasn't very noticeable, and it held strong. I had the pup for about 12 years after doing this, and never had to do anything more to that patch job. Cheap, functional, and durable.

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
I used Dicor to fill in a couple of holes I put in my baby. I used the self-leveling lap sealant. Then I put Eternabond over the spot. I can be reasonably sure that NO water is getting in there. Surface prep is everything though.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Years ago, I had a awning pole sail throught the air and put a hole in our pup's roof, which was aluminum. I used a piece of aluminum to make a patch and applied it with sheet metal screws and a good sealent. It lasted a long time without a problem. If I were doing it today, I'd use Eternabond to seal around the aluminum patch, then a little Dicor sealant around the edges.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
BudRock wrote:
First I feel your pain. .hard when something like that happens

If your interested in sealing the roof I would highly recommend EternaBond. It works well as a permanent repair and is comparatively easy to use. It is not an invisible repair but it will blend it fairly well.

And you can buy an eTernabond patch kit at places like Walmart that's about 6" square. That would make the perfect patch for the holes you describe.

BudRock
Explorer
Explorer
First I feel your pain. .hard when something like that happens

If your interested in sealing the roof I would highly recommend EternaBond. It works well as a permanent repair and is comparatively easy to use. It is not an invisible repair but it will blend it fairly well.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Bills RV in Ventura, CA. Not sure how far from Orange County but I'd trust him to do anything RV based on Stu's old videos.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Cape_Cod_Mounta
Explorer
Explorer
It is frustratingly easy to punch a hole in that roof. It is aluMinum foil OVER a foam core.
I got a good repair result with MarineTex. It is a epoxy boat repair material. It comes in white so a reasonably good looking repair can be made. Holds up and is waterproof. Not cheap But worth it.
Destinations on purpose: Canada: Alberta, BC, Nove Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick. USA: ME,NH,MA,VT,NY,MT,WY,MN,MI,WI,GA,VA,FL,UT,CA,OR,ID,CO,NV,AZ
:BLife is Good
2009 Jayco 1206
2011 Toyota Tundra